This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX 2010. East Coast. Be there.

Comments

• Out of curiosity who has met Jerry and Mike before?
    I imagine Scrym has met them already cause they'd have to talk to them personally to set up their panels, right?
  • This is not too far from me. I'm a tabletop gamer, so I'd love to hear a tabletop gaming review of PAX.
    Just curious, but what tabletop games do you play?
  • I imagine Scrym has met them already cause they'd have to talk to them personally to set up their panels, right?
    Not necessarily. It depends how hands-on they are.
  • Just curious, but what tabletop games do you play?
    European style boardgames and miniatures mostly. No RPGs. I'm probably the only person on these forums who has never played D&D; :-)
  • European style boardgames and miniatures mostly. No RPGs. I'm probably the only person on these forums who has never played D&D; :-)
    I've never played an RPG either. I'm really interested in what specific miniatures you play. I'm pretty big into the modeling aspect of minis.
  • edited August 2008
    Just curious, but what tabletop games do you play?
    European style boardgames and miniatures mostly. No RPGs. I'm probably the only person on these forums who has never played D&D; :-)
    *Raises hand*

Also, I won't be able to go to PAX, ergo the location sucks.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I'm really interested in what specific miniatures you play.
    I'm fairly new to miniatures. I do mostly WWII (Flames of War), and am wanting to get into French & Indian - Colonial type stuff. I'm not as much into the fantasy stuff, but I may get there when I become more familiar with miniature gaming in general.
  • I have a vision for PAX East.

We're going to have a Tribes 2 Revival. We have until 2010 to get ready for it, so we can't possibly screw it up. Everyone get ready to bring your machines to the LAN room.
  • I have a vision for PAX East.

We're going to have a Tribes 2 Revival. We have until 2010 to get ready for it, so we can't possibly screw it up. Everyone get ready to bring your machines to the LAN room.
    It's the return of the vision! Just watch out for any bamboo during your trip.
  • Sorry, just had it my RSS via a different source. Don't really care about it since I can't attend either Convention.
  • European style boardgames and miniatures mostly. No RPGs. I'm probably the only person on these forums who has never played D&D; :-)
    If you ignore the existence of the rest of the world, almost. Really, which European on the forums has played D&D; for real?
  • Really, which European on the forums has played D&D; for real?
    Since I know next to nothing about D&D;, I had no idea that it is not popular in Europe. That's surprising to me. I wonder why that is?
  • edited August 2008
    I only know one guy who has played D&D, which is because he goes to a very select school. Otherwise good luck finding any pen and paper role players in Europe. I have never had the chance to play any pen and paper role-playing game.

But since I'm out of precollege 2010 I'll probably try to make it to New York for a week or so, after which I'll go to PAX.
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • edited August 2008
    I played once or twice when I was young. It was a lot of fun as we mainly played politics and intrigue instead of fighting monsters. Certainly a lot different to what I heard on those Penny Arcade D&D podcasts.

EDIT: except for the people I played with, who were all members of the scout troop, I know nobody else who has ever played D&D.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • From what Gabe & Tycho said, it will be earlier in the year. I'm hoping from the late April/May time. I plan and intend on going to both PAXIS in 2010.

BTW, PAXIS is now the plural of PAX. It came to be during a Q&A with Gabe & Tycho. A con-goer suggested the plural be called PAXIS, so when they refer to East Coast/West Coast PAXIS, it will now and forever be known as "The PAXIS of Evil!" ^_^
  • Nuts. I was hoping for something further South like DC or Baltimore.
  • Actually, PACES is the correct plural for PAX, because we're declining it the same as the Latin word pax. So sorry.
  • edited September 2008
    Out of curiosity who has met Jerry and Mike before?
    I met them numerous times at PAX (and talked with Jerry in my hotel for 20 minutes) and they're rad. I'm glad I'll have that opportunity twice a year (though my wallet is already shedding teats)

As for this: Actually, PACES is the correct plural for PAX, because we're declining it the same as the Latin word pax. So sorry.

You fail, as PAXIS of Evil was happily accepted by the Penny Arcades.

Where does the C come from?
    Post edited by MitchyD on
  • That's just the way it is. Same goes for:

Rex - Regis: King - Kings
    Dux - Ducis - Leader - Leaders

There are a few more, but I can't be bothered to think of them. Latin is one hard language.
  • I'm probably the only person on these forums who has never played D&D; :-)
    I've never played D&D.; I don't think it existed when I was in HS. When I was in college, I was too busy, so yeah - I've never played D&D;.
  • I'm probably the only person on these forums who has never played D&D; :-)
    I've never played D&D.; I don't think it existed when I was in HS. When I was in college, I was too busy, so yeah - I've never played D&D.;
    I've never played D&D; either. I am not really into the RP scene, however I was among the first group of people that participated in a Burning Wheel session with Luke Crane. It was pretty fun.
  • Boston makes sense as a choice. It might not have an awesome building, and it might not be geographically convenient for people. However, Boston is nerd central on the East Coast. It's the land of MIT and such. From that perspective, it makes sense.
  • edited September 2008
    Given my supreme insight into this situation (in other words, I live near Boston), I'm going to say that they'll probably do it at the Hyans center, where they have Anime Boston every year. The only other convention center that could be described as being "in Boston" is the Bayside Expo Center, and that's difficult to get to, and I don't know what the hotelling situation there is.
    And the Hyans isn't that bad a place. It's a well maintained building in the Back Bay. Big enough that people aren't going to be stepping on each other, unless I'm totally underestimating how many people are going to be coming.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • RymRym
    edited September 2008
    unless I'm totally underestimating how many people are going to be coming.
    PAX had 58,500 attendees this year, 45,000 of which were pre-registrations. An East coast PAX could easily attract even larger numbers.

Anime Boston, by comparison, had 14,340 people last year.

The conventions are not even close to being on the same scale.

Furthermore, The Baltimore Convention Center, which houses Otakon (25,000 attendees) boasts a solid 1,225,000 square feet of convention space. Meanwhile, the Hynes Convention Center has about 176,480. PAX absolutely could not fit in the Hynes, and to put it there would be a disaster.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Ah. Then yes, I am massively underestimating the amount of people, but alot of the Hynes is closed off during AB, though I doubt enough to make up the difference between 15k and 60k. Maybe it will be at the Bayside, then.
  • edited September 2008
    unless I'm totally underestimating how many people are going to be coming.
    PAX had 58,500 attendees this year, 45,000 of which were pre-registrations. An East coast PAX could easily attract even larger numbers.

Anime Boston, by comparison, had 14,340 people last year.

The conventions are not even close to being on the same scale.

Furthermore, The Baltimore Convention Center, which houses Otakon (25,000 attendees) boasts a solid 1,225,000 square feet of convention space. Meanwhile, the Hynes Convention Center has about 176,480. PAX absolutely could not fit in the Hynes, and to put it there would be a disaster.
    I can't imagine that they wouldn't use the bigger convention center which Anime Boston chooses not to use. Look up the BCEC (Boston Convention and Exposition Center). It should be large enough to house it, though we really haven't a clue as to the number of people who will attend.

It is much larger then they Hynes, and is in charge of the bigger events that come to Boston. Anime Boston does not use it because they can't even come close to filling it. Plus, they want to stay by the cheaper hotels for the people who shove 12 kids into a room, because they can't afford a hotel room.

I should know, since I am interning at the Hynes and BCEC right now, and work for Anime Boston. ^_^

The only problem with the BCEC is that the hotels are a block away instead of attached to the center, and a little more pricey... Seriously I can’t imagine it filling up and being used to its capacity.

link
    516,000 square feet of contiguous exhibit space
    84 configurable meeting rooms
    over 300,000 square feet of function areas
    eight registration areas
    40,020 square foot ballroom

[edit] I see no information about this convention in our 2010 calendar. I wonder if they have set a date yet. [/edit]
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited September 2008
    The only problem with the BCEC is that the hotels are a block away instead of attached to the center, and a little more pricy... Seriously I can’t imagine it filling up and being used to its capacity.
    The WSCTC isn't connected to any hotels either. Most hotels that gave the PAX discount rate where within no more than 2 blocks. Pricy? How so? Hotels that had the PAX discount ranged between $150-$215/night. What do you consider pricey?
    516,000 square feet of contiguous exhibit space
    84 configurable meeting rooms
    over 300,000 square feet of function areas
    eight registration areas
    40,020 square foot ballroom
    Facts and figures about WSCTC:
    • 205,700 square feet of dedicated heavy-load exhibit space (Divisible into six halls, Accommodates up to 965 10'x l0' booths)
    • 20 covered bays at two loading docks
    • 45,000 square feet of carpeted ballroom space, divisible into four separate ballrooms
    • 57,000 square feet of carpeted meeting space, divisible into 61 versatile meeting rooms support every format
    Seems the BCEC can accommodate for the East Coast PAX, especially since PAX still didn't use all of the WSCTC that weekend.
    (*Prods at Rym* Didn't you say you know alot about holding anime conventions in the east coast and wanted Gabe and Tycho to e-mail you since you to help em out ^_^)
    Gabe & Tycho really don't do much in regards to being hosts of PAX and act as emcees. Most of PAX is ran by PA staff such as Robert Khoo and others.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • RymRym
    edited September 2008
    Seems the BCEC can accommodate for the East Coast PAX, especially since PAX still didn't use all of the WSCTC that weekend.
    I'd wager at least 50,000 people will show up to East Coast PAX. I'd place an upper estimate at around 80,000, depending on hotel availability.

PAX desperately needed the rest of the convention center this year: there wasn't nearly enough space for the panels and such. It could easily have used everything that place had to offer.
    Post edited by Rym on