This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX 2010. East Coast. Be there.

Comments

• The only problem with the BCEC is that the hotels are a block away instead of attached to the center, and a little more pricy... Seriously I can’t imagine it filling up and being used to its capacity.
    TheWSCTCisn't connected to any hotels either. Most hotels that gave the PAX discount rate where within no more than 2 blocks. Pricy? How so? Hotels that had the PAX discount ranged between $150-$215/night. What do you consider pricy?
    I can't tell you what kind of discounts can be given out since I do not work in that department, but I'll see if I can find origional rates. I just know that the hotels by the BCEC are a little more expencive and Anime Boston is not a fan of making the kids pay for that. (This is not a formal statement or anything, just things I have noticed. I'm no con-chair or anything.)

list of hotels and distance to BCEC
    233.00 for the hotel that is connected. I guess it is considred connected, though I still say it's a block away.
  • edited September 2008
    I'd wager at least 50,000 people will show up to East Coast PAX. I'd place an upper estimate at around 80,000, depending on hotel availability.
    I would guess the same as well. I know East Coast PAX will be ran by the same company who does one of those New York cons you guys mentioned. I wonder if they'll still be using PAX Enforcers there. They are one of the major forces of PAX that makes it awesome.
    I just know that the hotels by the BCEC are a little more expencive and Anime Boston is not a fan of making the kids pay for that.
    $200 is fairly pricey. However, less punk kids the better. :P That's what I liked about PAX, not a lot of kids there, and if they were there, they weren't that noticeable or even half as annoying as Anime Convention punk kids.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited September 2008
    What are PAX Enforcers?
    [ :( Oh no! Mr. Period has found me in a weakened state. This is what I get for typing stuff from my work computer. Damn you IE not having a spell checker.]
    Post edited by Mosquitoboy on
  • edited September 2008
    What are PAX Enforcers?
    Volunteers that basically offer their free time to help PAX be the awesome convention that is it. I was a PAX Enforcer one year and it was awesome. I met a lot of cool people and had a blast helping run PAX. I'm sure Rym & Scott will mention them in their show about PAX tonight.

From what I heard from a PAX Enforcer, they had to close open volunteering because so many people offered to volunteer that it was too much for them to keep track. To be an Enforcer you either need a referral from a current Enforcer or be a past Enforcer. That's pretty awesome that so many people want to volunteer to help PAX.
  • What are PAX Enforcers?
    Volunteers that basically offer their free time to help PAX be the awesome convention that is it. I was a PAX Enforcer one year and it was awesome. I met a lot of cool people and had a blast helping run PAX. I'm sure Rym & Scott will mention them in their show about PAX tonight.
    I donno if these people will be allowed to do this. They may be, for the Hynes lets the client have volunteer security, and I believe the BCEC may also but I am unsure since I haven't seen it being done at the BCEC.

Convention centers hate Volunteer security. I loved being it at Anime Boston but they are very inefficient. Say an emergency happened, they don't know the building's layout, they probably don't have to know first aid, I doubt they even have a radio to contact someone who has this knowledge. There is no command center, they have no keys, no access to back rooms and quick cut throughs. They are more or less there to deter punk kids from doing stupid stuff like hanging on a railing or playing duck-duck-goose in a crowded hallway.
    They are just regular people who are fueled to do this job because of the free attendance and hotel space benefits. They aren't really qualified for the job.

I love them as much as you do, and I would love to be one. But as a BCEC convention intern for public safety, I pray they don't use them.
  • They are just regular people who are fueled to do this job because of the free attendance and hotel space benefits. They aren't really qualified for the job.
    All anime cons have this problem with their volunteers. PAX does not. We'll talk about why on the show.
  • Convention centers hate Volunteer security. Ilovedbeing it at Anime Boston but they are very inefficient. Say an emergency happened, they don't know the building's layout, they probably don't have to know first aid, I doubt they even have a radio to contact someone who has this knowledge. There is no command center, they have no keys, no access to back rooms and quick cut throughs.
    If that's the status of Anime Boston's security staff, I'm very disappointed. Katsucon and Otakon, for example, both have command centers and proper organization. In fact, one of the highlights of the Katsu staff afterparty is the "reading of the radio logs."

Are you seriously telling me that Anime Boston doesn't have a security command center or a radio operations base?
  • edited September 2008
    Ok, I will go ahead and state a few facts about being a PAX Enforcer to clear things up.

PAX Enforcers know their shit. Most have 2-way radios to communicate. They also have a secret PAX Enforcers only forum to communicate through-out the year about how things are going to be ran. They meet up before PAX even starts to make sure people know what they are doing. They make sure they have people who are certified in CPR/First Aid for those just in case emergencies. They work with Convention Center staff. They do have a PAX Enforcer Command Center at the convention. The only thing the the regular WSCTC staff were doing at PAX was either checking badges on attendees or cleaning up.

PAX Enforcers aren't just random people who show up and volunteer. They are people who want to help PAX be awesome. Most are in their early 20s to 30s, if not older. I've seen Enforcers check on other Enforcers to see if they need assistance. Most don't even work long hours. I believe this year it was only required for each Enforcer to work at least one if not two 6-hour shift. PRD aka Princess Red Dot is the head of the PAX Enforcers. I've worked with her and she among many other people make sure they know what they are doing.

I can elaborate more, however I really need to work.
  • edited September 2008
    Convention centers hate Volunteer security. Ilovedbeing it at Anime Boston but they are very inefficient. Say an emergency happened, they don't know the building's layout, they probably don't have to know first aid, I doubt they even have a radio to contact someone who has this knowledge. There is no command center, they have no keys, no access to back rooms and quick cut throughs.
    If that's the status of Anime Boston's security staff, I'm very disappointed. Katsucon and Otakon, for example, both have command centers and proper organization. In fact, one of the highlights of the Katsu staff afterparty is the "reading of the radio logs."

Are you seriously telling me that Anime Boston doesn't have a security command center or a radio operations base?
    They have them, but they aren't able to be compared to that of the real security company that the Hynes has running the building. At AB we had people who are EMTs on our staff, but they aren't prepared to handle emergency situations like the Hynes security staff is. The building has AEDs, cameras, and nurses... the AB con staff had ice packs, band aids, and bandages to be used as a first response, but they just don’t have the ability to handle serious situations.
    I actually found that some of the upper level security for AB was useful, but I would rather that money just go to more of the security that has access to the cameras, keys, and back rooms that the convention has. I am not saying AB has bad security. I am saying that any volunteer security is not going to be as good as Allied Barton or someone else of that scale.

The PAX enforcers sound exactly like the AB staff, in every way. We had radios, we had CPR/AED certified people, we have a command center... but in comparison to real security they can't handle the same types of situations.
  • The PAX enforcers sound exactly like the AB staff, in every way.
    I have to disagree, based on what you've said so far and based on my own convention experiences.
  • edited September 2008
    The PAX enforcers sound exactly like the AB staff, in every way.
    I have to disagree, based on what you've said so far and based on my own convention experiences.
    Mosquitoboy, you may have some insight to how things go being an intern, however I think I can proudly say that PAX is different from any anime convention on how it is operated.
  • edited September 2008
    The PAX enforcers sound exactly like the AB staff, in every way.
    Moscquitoboy, you may have some insight to how things go being an intern, however I think I can proudly say that PAX is different from any anime convention on how it is operated.
    I am excited to see how things are run at PAX.

I think that I may have chosen my words wrong, for my attack wasn't against AB's security, it was against show contracted security in general. Anime Boston has the 2nd best show directed security I have seen at an anime convention, Otacon is #1 because they kind of have to be. Though I have never been to PAX or even outside the North East.
    I may have other problems with Anime Boston’s staff, (lines at registration and how they are dealing with it) but the security is very well organized for show contracted security. It's just the idea of having people who are not familiar with a building come inside, who are unable to access doors and keys, being used as security is ridiculous to me when other and better options are available.
  • It's just the idea of having people who are not familiar with a building come inside, who are unable to access doors and keys, being used as security is ridiculous to me when other and better options are available.
    From what I've seen at PAX there were still many WSCTC staff that carried radios that were within a small walking distance of PAX Enforcers who could communicate any sort of emergent activities happening on top of the Enforcers having radios as well.
  • I attended Anime Boston... 06? and the staff were mildy disorganized, though I think that was more fringe disorganization than core. The convention space was not big enough for PAX '08, certainly, but I'm not entirely certain about how many people will show up for EC PAX. Everyone here seems to be highballing it, to me: I can't imagine that 80,000 people will go to the first run of a con, even if it has a great pedigree. PAX '04 only had a couple thousand attendees, and it actually grew partially out of a fan-run con called NecroWombicon, with the official PA seal. At the same time, Feh can certainly sell expo space...

The WSCTC Staff have business radios, but the enforcers actually pretty much dropped radio use this year: The WSCTC is terrible for GMRS, and it isn't worth the trouble of getting business use radios. Cell phones filled the gap, as well as clear instructions. I don't know if PAX:EC will switch back to radios, even if they are available: They tended to turn a little much into IRC. Which is another thing enforcers do have; Many enforcers, and most all of the Department heads hang out in an IRC channel. It's a great /community/, which I think is really the selling point of the Enforcers: We're a community, much as anything.

Enforcers are barely in a security role at PAX: the important security checkpoints are handled by the WSCTC. We do vett enforcers well, and we do hold them to high standards. You do not mess around with enforcers, and you do not bully your way to a Director position. Further, we've not really had any incidents, aside from the one with Ed Fleming. PAX attendees are generally an older and more mature crowd than at an anime con. Wil Wheaton and Scott Kurtz come to just chill.
  • Thanks for the info Wizard. I bet if there wasn't another convention going on upstairs from the main stage, it probably would have helped accommodate for the numbers at the WSCTC. There is a large ballroom upstairs along with larger rooms that are good for panels for 200+, iirc that Sakura Con used. I bet next year, PAX will take ALL of the WSCTC.

About the Enforcers, you guys were awesome as always. What was the Ed Fleming incident?
  • What was the Ed Fleming incident?
    It was when the guy who ran that other video game convention came to PAX to "spy" and got drunk and stupid.
  • It was when the guy who ran that other video game convention came to PAX to "spy" and got drunk and stupid.
    That was last year wasn't it?
  • Yeah, Ed was '07.

I can pretty much confirm that '09 will have the whole convention center. Management is well aware of the crowding, and I believe that getting the 6th floor was a priority even before we saw just how crowded it was. I can say that the WSCTC guys are awesome, and will most certainly be accommodating.
  • edited April 2009
    So you can register for this now. $50 for the weekend.

So any recommendations for hotels to stay at since I've never been east of Texas? I want to get my reservations early. Thanks. (Looks at Neito and Mosquitoboy)

Nevermind. I used Google Maps to find the hotel that is the closest to the convention center, which is the Sheraton.
  • So you can register for this now.$50 for the weekend.

So any recommendations for hotels to stay at since I've never been east of Texas? I want to get my reservations early. Thanks. (Looks at Neito and Mosquitoboy)

Nevermind. I used Google Maps to find the hotel that is the closest to the convention center, which is the Sheraton.
    Do they have a hotel with a con block? If so, use that one. All the other hotels near the Hynes are hilariously expensive.
  • Do they have a hotel with a con block? If so, use that one. All the other hotels near the Hynes are hilariously expensive.
    Not yet, however they will eventually. I figure I can add the discount later onto the reservation.
  • Don't forget to pre-reg guys! I just did ~_^
  • Oh yea... Should think about that, I didn't realize Pre-reg was open for PAX East.
  • I believe pre-reg has been open for a while for PAX (wrong coast) East. :P

Anyways, how is the size of the Boston (don't know it's name) Convention Center versus the Seattle Convention Center?
  • Well, I was planning to string PAX, Summer Comiket and Otakon together this year, if possible... So I think I'll be saving up my student loans for those three, plus my credit card...
  • Yeah, I won't be able to go to this year's PAX East. Money and all that.
    Are you ever gonna get to go to any Cons that are awesome other than Otakon? Couldn't you take one of those Greyhound buses or take a similar route that I did?
  • Anyways, how is the size of the Boston (don't know it's name) Convention Center versus the Seattle Convention Center?
    It's the Hynes convention center. It's pronounced the same way as Heinz Ketchup.

According to Wikipedia the Washington convention center has 307,700 square feet (28,590 m2) of total meeting space. Also according to Wikipedia, the Hynes has 193,000 square feet (17,900 m2) of exhibit space and can accommodate up to four concurrent events. It features 71,600 square feet (6,650 m2) of meeting space with 38 permanent rooms and a 24,500-square-foot (2,280 m2) grand ballroom.
    Are you ever gonna get to go to any Cons that are awesome other than Otakon? Couldn't you take one of those Greyhound buses or take a similar route that I did?
    I'm a poor college student and don't have time to get a job, so transportation and a pass is too expensive for me now.
  • I might, I can just take my ROFLCOPTER

CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS CHOISCHOIS CHOIS CHOIS CHOISCHOIS CHOIS CHOIS CHOISCHOIS CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS