This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX 2010. East Coast. Be there.

Comments

• I don't think there is a PAX West this year.
    There most certainly is. Why would anyone think otherwise?

Honestly, PAX makes every other convention I've ever attended look paltry in comparison. Otakon and AB are still above the line due to the sheer size and generally competent management, but even they feel weak after seeing what PAX has to offer. PAX was the main reason we've dropped all of our anime cons except Otakon and AB.
  • If my plan to spend some time in America at the end of the summer works out, I hope to attend DragonCon. PAX sounds good fun, but I think DragonCon has a much wider range of geekeries going on.
  • PAX sounds good fun, but I think DragonCon has a much wider range of geekeries going on.
    It does. As does Connecticon.
  • It does. As does Connecticon.
    Maybe, but it's the wrong end of the summer for me.
  • Maybe, but it's the wrong end of the summer for me.
    Even if we invite you as TEDx speaker? ^_~

Connecticon's our baby, but she's still got a long way to go. I wouldn't suggest anyone attend CTcon over, say, PAX or Dragoncon.
  • Even if we invite you as TEDx speaker? ^_~
    I met one of the mob who ran the last TedX Leeds, and after a long chat, she asked me if I wanted to speak at the next one, but I had to turn her down, as it occurs after I'll have left England.
  • Even if we invite you as TEDx speaker? ^_~
    I met one of the mob who ran the last TedX Leeds, and after a long chat, she asked me if I wanted to speak at the next one, but I had to turn her down, as it occurs after I'll have left England.
    TEDx sounds like good fun. If you pay me my normal fee I'll speak wherever you want. ^_~
  • So...what forumites/FRC members (other than Rym and Scott) are going there? If there are a few, why don't we have a meetup? I just hope Team Random can reunite once more...if not that then Otakon.
  • edited January 2010
    People were beginning to start announcing themselves, but then a conversation broke out.

In any case, as I've said, I'm going. I have registered for a 3-day badge but I must arrange a flight and a hotel. I'll be flying from Denver, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than flying from Brisbane.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • People were beginning to start announcing themselves, but then a conversation broke out.

In any case, as I've said, I'm going. I have registered for a 3-day badge but I must arrange a flight and a hotel. I'll be flying from Denver, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than flying from Brisbane.
    Well I hope I can meet up with you there :) Anybody else wanna do this?
  • Hotel reservations have been made, badges will be mailed in to me. PAX East is such a done deal it's not even funny.
  • There are two good meetup places right near the convention center. There's the Trident Cafe, on Newburry Street, near the original Newburry Comics (is that just a MA thing, or do those exists elsewhere?) and The Pour House, right across Boylston Street from the con. If you guys need any more specifics, just lemme know and I can probably swing something awesome with maps and shit.
  • Maybe, but it's the wrong end of the summer for me.
    Even if we invite you as TEDx speaker? ^_~

Connecticon's our baby, but she's still got a long way to go. I wouldn't suggest anyone attend CTcon over, say, PAX or Dragoncon.
    Yes, for now...but the clouds of doom are gathering over Dragon*con. They have gotten so big that they no longer care about customer service, their dealers, and their small guests. To some extent, that's understandable. They don't have to take care of you because if you drop out, another will rise to fill your slot. It's still not the kind of treatment I care to condone.
  • Definitely going!

Submitted these panels on Monday:

1) Memes, Microcultures, and 2D Chicks: Our Future in the Otaku Gamer

2) Exploring International Geek Cultures Through Games

3) Trolling the Tubes: Culture Hacking Through Online Gaming
  • Is there going to be an Omegathon there? I haven't seen/heard anything about it. I don't think I recall being asked to be considered as an Omeganaut when I registered.
  • Is there going to be an Omegathon there? I haven't seen/heard anything about it. I don't think I recall being asked to be considered as an Omeganaut when I registered.
    It's possible, but it doesn't seem like it. If they haven't said already, I guess it won't happen. I think it's better if PAX East needs it's own things, give it a unique flavor. Doesn't need to be a PAX West clone.
  • It's possible, but it doesn't seem like it. If they haven't said already, I guess it won't happen. I think it's better if PAX East needs it's own things, give it a unique flavor. Doesn't need to be a PAX West clone.
    I agree. If that's the case, i wonder how they are going to end PAX East. I'm trying to figure out how long I want to stay on Sunday.
  • In the long run, I foresee PAX East being the larger (massive) event with tons of panels and lots of open gaming space/gaming events. PAX West will be the smaller, main-events, "main" PAX.
  • In the long run, I foresee PAX East being the larger (massive) event with tons of panels and lots of open gaming space/gaming events. PAX West will be the smaller, main-events, "main" PAX.
    Possibly. I wonder what percentage of the people attending PAX East attended PAX 2009, and will continue to go to PAX West this year.
  • I have a question. I remember Rym mentioning something called the Cookie Brigade. It's obvious what they do, but are they connected to PAX as Enforcers or are they an independent group. The reason why I'm asking is because I might want to get in on that action since I've got these special cookies I want to make, and I wanna use them for a special occasion.
  • I have a question. I remember Rym mentioning something called the Cookie Brigade. It's obvious what they do, but are they connected to PAX as Enforcers or are they an independent group. The reason why I'm asking is because I might want to get in on that action since I've got these special cookies I want to make, and I wanna use them for a special occasion.
    Separate. Here is their website. Also check out PAX forums.
  • Okay then, I'll be on that. Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies will be made.
  • We're still looking for more Enforcers if your looking for a great way to experience PAX. If your interested head over to PAX East Coast Enforcer application and submit an application.
  • Do you need multi-day enforcers? And is there crash space for enforcers who give a certain amount of time?

If by multi-day Enforcer you mean Enforcers who work a shift on more than one day, yes absolutely. I am not aware of any specific crashspace provided for free, however all the Enforcers get together on our forum and organize hotel rooms and such. Penny Arcade usually covers some of the hotel cost for Enforcers, this year I believe its half a day. There are also a number of Boston Enforcers so I bet a couch would be available.
  • Do you need multi-day enforcers? And is there crash space for enforcers who give a certain amount of time?
    If by multi-day Enforcer you mean Enforcers who work a shift on more than one day, yes absolutely. I am not aware of any specific crashspace provided for free, however all the Enforcers get together on our forum and organize hotel rooms and such. Penny Arcade usually covers some of the hotel cost for Enforcers, this year I believe its half a day. There are also a number of Boston Enforcers so I bet a couch would be available.
    Awesome. I just put in my application. I'm free the whole con weekend, plus I'll skip club and help break down on that Monday.
  • Make sure you leave enough time to attend the afterparty, otherwise you miss the whole PAX Enforcer experience.
  • Make sure you leave enough time to attend the afterparty, otherwise you miss the whole PAX Enforcer experience.
    I have nothing on my schedule from thursday when my last class gets out all the way to tuseday when my next class starts.
  • I hope there will be a PAX iPhone app...
  • I know there are some people working on it as we speak.
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2010
    I know there are some people working on it as we speak.
    ...my hat is off to you awesome PAX people.
    Post edited by Geo on