This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX 2010. East Coast. Be there.

Comments

• I've been on the fence about being an Enforcer, but Nuri and I are going to the con together and honestly, I think I just want to take in PAX East as a con-goer. I very rarely take arealvacation; I think it might be nice to go with some people I know and just hang out for a weekend, rather than actually having todosomething.
    Laura and I are both going to be enforcers and since they only require 6 hours of work a day, I think it's not that huge of a time-sink to not let me enjoy the convention. (plus you can enjoy the convention while working it)
  • Here's a question for you all - if you could only go to a PAX once, would you be an Enforcer or not?
    Depending up what schedule you would work at PAX, would probably answer your question. I don't have access to the forums, yet, however I think they try to accommodate your request of what/when/where you want to work.

When I was an Enforcer a few years ago, I had such a blast hanging out with other Enforcers and attendees. The work really wasn't that difficult.

Perhaps, AaronC or GauntletWizard, can help elaborate more since they are the seasoned Enforcers.

Regardless, in my experience at PAX, I had a great time as both.

@Whaleshark, I totally understand. That's why I took a few years off of being a con-staffer. It's nice to actually enjoy a convention at times and not worry about responsibility.

As for my PAX experiences as an attendee, I was pretty much in the tabletop gaming section for most of the con.
  • Laura and I are both going to be enforcers and since they only require 6 hours of work a day, I think it's not that huge of a time-sink to not let me enjoy the convention. (plus you can enjoy the convention while working it)
    Yeah, that's nice, but like I said, I don't take actual vacations anymore. I need a lazy weekend.
  • They must have really liked my application, I've already been accepted. Looks like I'll be rocking the black!
  • I've been on the fence about being an Enforcer, but Nuri and I are going to the con together and honestly, I think I just want to take in PAX East as a con-goer.
    Perhaps I'll look at being an Enforcer next year.
    Its not really possible to answerer this question without knowing what gives you the most pleasure at the con, but I'll try to give you the information you need to make your decision.

I love being an Enforcer, I wouldn't go if I didn't get to Enforce, for me I don't take any time off to "enjoy" the con, I just work the whole thing. You will get time off if you only want to work your one shift per day and no one is going to give you a hard time for that. Its totally cool if you want to spend your time offshift enjoying the con. Enforcers get free admission and if you've already bought a pass you get a refund. You get 1/2 of a nights hotel reimbursed by Penny Arcade. The Enforcer crew is active all year, not just during the convention. Of course the most active crew is in Seattle and Portland (to a lesser extent). This year is a great chance to get involved and build the character of the East Coast crew and PAX EC as a whole.

If I could only go to one PAX I'd Enforce.

I recommend against attempting a hostile takeover, it would be hard to battle the Khoocracy, but as I said this is a great chance to get involved on the ground floor and be part of whats going to be the large East Coast Crew.
  • edited January 2010
    Its not really possible to answerer this question without knowing what gives you the most pleasure at the con
    I've never been to a PAX ever, but if it's as good as I hear, I will continue to go to PAX East. I've worn out other cons, and for those, only working gives me any sort of return. I want to see what the con has to offer, and then figure out what I have to offer it (other than being awesome).

Good pitch, though.

EDIT: Wow, I just glazed over the hotel room reimbursement. How does that work if you're sharing a hotel room with people? Like, two Enforcers in the same room. Does each person get a 1/2 night reimbursement, or do you just apply the reimbursement to the room bill? I would think the latter...
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • ou get 1/2 of a nights hotel reimbursed by Penny Arcade.
    Ooh! What's this about making my hotel cheaper?
  • I'm guessing that would only apply to the officially sanctioned hotels, though.
  • edited January 2010
    Does anyone else wish to share a room for all or part of the 26th-29th? YoshoKatana and I might stay together.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited January 2010
    Laura and I are both going to be enforcers and since they only require 6 hours of work a day, I think it's not that huge of a time-sink to not let me enjoy the convention. (plus you can enjoy the convention while working it)
    Yeah, that's nice, but like I said, I don't take actual vacations anymore. I need a lazy weekend.
    Haven't you taken at least two vacations in the last six months? :P
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I'm with Pete, cons are my vacation time. I prefer to do my part in cons by running a panel or two rather than herding cats.
  • Haven't you taken at least two vacations in the last six months? :P
    One of those involved 17 hours of driving, part of which was through DC. That's hardly a vacation. :P
  • Haven't you taken at least two vacations in the last six months? :P
    One of those involved 17 hours of driving, part of which was through DC. That's hardly a vacation. :P
    Didn't that trip involve 'quality time' or giggity giggity with your girlfriend?
    AAAAnd haven't you taken trips to a mountain ski resort and DISNEY LAND on the tax payer's bill?!?

You sir sicken me...
  • part of which was through DC. That's hardly a vacation.
    Welcome to my everyday. ^_^
  • Oh mans. Luke Crane's going to be at PAX East. Not surprising, but I hadn't considered the prospect. Awesome.
  • edited January 2010
    AAAAnd haven't you taken trips to a mountain ski resort andDISNEY LANDon the tax payer's bill?!?
    Trust me, those aren't vacations. Conferences are work.

OK, Disney Land was a bit excessive, but it was still work! I only spent ONE DAY in the Magic Kingdom.

EDIT: Anyhow, I still need to know how exactly the room reimbursement works. Does each Enforcer get their own reimbursement?

EDIT:
    Didn't that trip involve 'quality time' or giggity giggity with your girlfriend?
    Yeah, but I don't need to drive 8.5 hours one way to get that. :P
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Enforcers get room reimbursement? That could make PAX a possibility for me.
  • They do? Might be worth me flying out for next year and being an enforcer!
    You get 1/2 of one night. It's not that much, but it helps.
    You get 1/2 of one night. It's notthatmuch, but it helps.
    Not enough. I have found a few cars I am interested in, so we will be buying a car shortly. Having a second vehicle trumps any and all cons.
  • Would anybody be interested in a PAX East after-party/dinner party Sunday evening after the convention? I am considering one for Anime Boston, but I can always throw two! My apartment's in Harvard Square, about a 15-minute bus/train ride from the Hynes, down Mass. Ave.
  • Harvard Square
    Is there somewhere nearby the pak a ca?
  • edited January 2010
    I has a plane at 6, so probably not.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Harvard Square
    Is there somewhere nearby the pak a ca?
    There are side streets all over the place, but you would have to search out a spot; unfortunately there probably won't be one automatically nearby.
  • Is there somewhere nearby the pak a ca?
    No, it's near the Yad.
  • This sounds like a grand idea!
  • I'll be there on Thursday, but leaving Sunday evening. When I'm not doing Enforcer activities, I'm totally down for hanging out/gaming/eating/drinking with people.
  • drinking
    Totally up for that!
  • When are you not up for drinking?
  • drinking
    Totally up for that!
    See, you are totally a lush! ^_~