This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX 2010. East Coast. Be there.

Comments

• Oops, I didn't mean you, Axel. I know Loganator is 16. I don't know who the other person I was thinking of was, though.

I totally don't understand this "feeling old" thing anyway.
  • Oops, I didn't mean you, Axel. I know Loganator is 16. I don't know who the other person I was thinking of was, though.

I totally don't understand this "feeling old" thing anyway.
    I always feel old when people tell me their first system was like, an N64 or a PS1, and the I'm like "When I was little, I had a NES and a SNES," and they're like "Well, I didn't get games until I was 10," and then I tell them that I've had games for as long as I can remember, and I realize how long I've been playing video games, and I feel old. It's certainly strange.
  • edited January 2010
    You guys really need to stop this thread of conversation or I'll be kicking your ass with my cane at PAX. :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • You guys really need to stop this thread of conversation or I'll be kicking your ass with my cane at PAX. :-p
    Is it really that bad being 30 or is this some running joke in the forums? If anything, Hungryjoe is the only one who can really complain about being old.
  • edited January 2010
    I always feel old when people tell me their first system was like, an N64 or a PS1
    It gets worse as you get older.
    Is it really that bad being 30 or is this some running joke in the forums?
    Um, that's a running "joke" in life, my friend.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • But MAN Axel, think about how much it would suck to be over the age of 29 right now!
  • edited January 2010
    Is it really that bad being 30 or is this some running joke in the forums?
    It's a running joke in life. Honestly, like most things, it has its good point and its bad points. I'm 30, and I'm happier, and have a better life now than I did when I was in my teens and twenties. There are some things you lose as you age, but you gain experience and perspective, and that's worth a lot.

EDIT: DAMN YOU WHALESHARK. Did you edit that part in, or did I just miss it?
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2010
    So 30 is the new 50?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I always feel old when people tell me their first system was like, an N64 or a PS1
    I had an atari. I was really young though, I don't really remember playing games on it. Then we skipped the NES and went right to the SNES.

In other news, I've found a NES emulator for android. WIN!
  • I don't know who the other person I was thinking of was, though.
    Oi. 16 right here, gonna be 17 in three months.
    You guys really need to stop this thread of conversation or I'll be kicking your ass with my cane at PAX. :-p
    I thought you were dead!
  • EDIT: DAMN YOU WHALESHARK. Did you edit that part in, or did I just miss it?
    I edited it in after I saw Geofino's response.
    So 30 is the new 50?
    30 is the new pink, 50 is the new black.

Or something.
  • So 30 is the new 50?
    30 is the new pink, 50 is the new black.

Or something.
    No, black is the new 75. Pink is so 50. Aqua's the new 30, and chartreuse is the new 20. Jeez, doesn't anyone know anything around here?
  • You know, if you really think about it though, it makes sense why people tend to feel older earlier in life these days. Sure it is a joke to most, but it is also true that with the way technology is advancing at an exponential rate, the gap between generations of kids who grow up with certain things gets smaller and smaller. For me, the earliest game console I used was the NES, cause I wasn't born till after it came out. But what I really grew up with was the SNES. People who are younger only remember the N64 and PS1 as mentioned above. I also still remember when cell phones were still in their infancy. Young people now have never seen a cell phone without an LCD screen. Most of them don't know what a 56K modem or an ISDN line is. You think about those differences compared to the differences between your parents and grandparents, which are more likely associated with war/peace rather than technology, and it makes sense why younger and younger people start to honestly feel old, even if only jokingly.
  • I have been accepted as a member of the Cookie Brigade. Therefore, I will be around with special Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies giving out cookies.
  • I have been accepted as a member of the Cookie Brigade. Therefore, I will be around with special Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies giving out cookies.
    That's cool. You mean selling though, right?
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2010
    I have been accepted as a member of the Cookie Brigade. Therefore, I will be around with special Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies giving out cookies.
    That's cool. You mean selling though, right?
    Yeah. So you'll most likely find me with the Cookie Brigade insignia.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • So, what are your general responsibilities as an Enforcer? Is it mostly just to direct traffic? Also, how long do you have to be working as an Enforcer?
  • I was talking to a dancer on a cruise ship last month, and she told me she was 18. I thought about it, and later mentioned to someone else: "When I was her age, she was 7." That made me feel like a pervert for chatting her up.
  • "When I was her age, she was 7."
    You've just inserted a horrible piece of logic into my brain, I hate you right now.
  • edited January 2010
    "When I was her age, she was 7."
    You've just inserted a horrible piece of logic into my brain, I hate you right now.
    Could be worse. I used to be a counselor in a day program when I was in high school. Used to work with kids ages 5 - 12. Almost all of them are now at least 18. It's really disturbing to see a hot girl and think "Wow, I knew her when she was 6."
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited January 2010
    "When I was her age, she was 7."
    Could be worse. I used to be a counselor in a day program when I was in high school. Used to work with kids ages 5 - 12. Almost all of them are now at least 18. It's really disturbing to see a hot girl and think "Wow, I knew her when she was 6."
    What does any of this have to do with PAX East? Since we're talking about it anyways...

Here is my motto this situation: Don't feel bad. She's going to sleep with someone. It might as well be you.

She can fight and die for her country. She should be able to knock boots with whom ever she wants! If those boots happen to be on my feet, all the better! As a totally unrelated side note, I support lowering the drinking age to 17! Which just so happens to be the age of consent in NY. I don't care what Kay Jewelers has to say. On any given Friday or Saturday night I'm sure more kisses begin with Miller Lite than with "K".
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • So, what are your general responsibilities as an Enforcer? Is it mostly just to direct traffic? Also, how long do you have to be working as an Enforcer?

hoookay, back on track.

Your duties as an Enforcer are varied and depend on what department your assigned to. Generally speaking you could say that the basic function is to ensure the convention runs smoothly and attendees have a good time, so yes, directing traffic is a part of the job, but there is alot more to it. Examples of other duties involves moving things, setting things up, taking things down, blocking access, giving directions, handing out things, handing out awesome, taking things, smiling, showing people where to go, showing VIP's where to go, getting exhibitors what they need, etc etc etc. If you volunteer and are accepted then you'll get a chance to ask more questions on the forum and the Enforcer IRC.

Shifts are for 6 hours during the Con, one per day. You're welcome to work more, and most Enforcers do, but that is all that is required.
  • AaronC: My question got buried, but how does the room reimbursement work exactly? Is it applied to your room bill (and thus shared among anyone else that's in the room with you), or is it given to each Enforcer directly?
  • edited January 2010
    AaronC: My question got buried, but how does the room reimbursement work exactly? Is it applied to your room bill (and thus shared among anyone else that's in the room with you), or is it given to each Enforcer directly?
    It's in the PAX Enforcers forum, Pete.
    If you already paid for preregistration you have two options:
    A) If you have a friend who wants to attend PAX that hasn't preregistered yet, you can give him/her your pass when it comes in the mail.
    B) Alternatively, you can bring a copy of your receipt and the badge you will get in the mail to PAX, and get a refund at Registration.
    I'm currently trying to sift through the relevant threads from the old PAX 09 threads in there. It's overwhelming. O_O
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • That quote is badge reimbursement, not room reimbursement.
  • That quote is badge reimbursement, not room reimbursement.
    Oh shit. My bad. This is what I get for multi tasking. I'll answer him in a whisper. Thanks. It's been a rough day. -_-
  • I'll answer him in a whisper.
    Don't do that, lots of people want to know this.
  • Don't do that, lots of people want to know this.
    I only do this because it contained some information that might be considered for PAX Enforcers only.

But you basically get reimbursed after PAX by sending in paperwork.
  • Don't do that, lots of people want to know this.
    I only do this because it contained some information that might be considered for PAX Enforcers only.

But you basically get reimbursed after PAX by sending in paperwork.
    Is it for any hotel, or just those endorsed by PAX?
  • Is it for any hotel, or just those endorsed by PAX?
    Endorsed by PAX.