This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Show Ideas and Reminders

Comments

• I used to be same way until I got into TNG and the new movie. So...all western. So eastern sci fi is okay like manga or anime?
  • So get people who have seen the movie to be on the podcast and just have a no Scott episode!
  • not poop movies in a poop theatre.
    I suppose I could see the "poop theater" bit. I saw Watchmen in IMAX at my nearest Showcase Cinemas, and I can't believe I've put up with such garbage theaters in comparison. A quick run-down of the "feature set" for Showcase's Director's Hall, which costs $2-3 extra per ticket:
    • Leather seats
    • When you buy your ticket online, you pick your specific seat, so you don't have to get to the theater early to save your seat. Also, when you buy online, you print out your ticket and you can walk right into the theater without waiting in any lines. AMC/Lowe's has that whole Fandango thing, but as far as I understand you still need to put your credit card into a machine to get your ticket.
    • Ushers to help you find your seat or boot someone that took your seat
    • The same ushers bring food/drinks to your seat
    • No trailers. The movie begins promptly at the advertised time.
    • Each set of 2 theater rooms has its own smaller bathroom, so you don't have to walk 100 yards in the middle of a movie.
    • A knowledgeable film geek friend of mine tells me that the quality of the sound system and projectors is far superior to that of competitors.
    Showcase should hire me as a walking advertisement for their theaters.
  • He quite dislikes Star Trek.
    Why? Does he have any (fair and not conceited) rationale for not liking it?
  • Does he have any (fair and not conceited) rationale for not liking it?
    He says it's not as good as "Lost in Space." ;^)

Actually, he did really say that. Remember, he also doesn't like Firefly or BSG. He only seems to enjoy campy old crap or animated SciFi.
  • Would you say Road Warrior/Mad Max/Thunderdome are "campy old crap"?
  • edited May 2009
    He only seems to enjoy campy old crap or animated SciFi.
    The best of both of worlds. :P What about Sci Fi books? Any you read and recommend you two?
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Why? Does he have any (fair and not conceited) rationale for not liking it?
    You don't need a rationale for not liking a piece of entertainment. If anything, you need a rationale for liking it. If something just doesn't grab you, you don't have to defend that position.
  • edited May 2009
    What about Sci Fi books? Any you read and recommend you two?
    He likes a lot of Sci Fi books. I'm a pretty big Sci Fi geek when it comes to reading material. Some books I recommend (I especially like collections of short stories):

1. Neuromancer or Idoru - William Gibson: Idoru is about a girl who runs away to Japan in the future, Neuromancer has AI's and a REALLY BADASS CHICK with razorblades under her nails.
    2. The Left hand of Darkness - Ursula K LeGuin - about an anthropologist on a planet where the human-like aliens have no gender.
    3. Her Smoke Rose up Forever - James Triptree Jr. - Actually a lady. A collection of works. Kind of depressing, but some really good stuff here.
    4. Roger Zelazny - Collected Stories - Some of his stuff is more fantasy than hard Sci Fi, but I really love his stories. There is a short story called "And Then Came the Power" (I think that's the title) that makes me cry every time I read it.
    5. Ray Bradbury's short stories - His descriptive writing is very evocative. Fahrenheit 451 is one of my favorite books ever.

Also Heinlein, even though he was a knob.

I recommend getting a collection of Nebula or Hugo award winners, and you'll invariably find something you like.
    I'm a big fan of cyberpunk/near future based stories, but I'm up for anything.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited May 2009

I recommend getting a collection of Nebula or Hugo award winners, and you'll invariably find something you like.
    Try Black Man, by Richard Morgan. Same bloke who did altered carbon, but I'm not sure how related the two books are, as I've not got that far in the book yet.

Edit - I just looked it up, and it's not the same universe. Also, it might be going under the name "Thirteen" in the US.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • He only seems to enjoy campy old crap or animated SciFi.
    The best of both of worlds. :P
    Oh god, that was so painful. I actually sat through two of those episodes just to see if it was any good...I regret wasting that hour.
  • GeoGeo
    edited April 2010
    What about Sci Fi books? Any you read and recommend you two?
    He likes a lot of Sci Fi books. I'm a pretty big Sci Fi geek when it comes to reading material. Some books I recommend (I especially like collections of short stories):

1. Neuromancer or Idoru - William Gibson: Idoru is about a girl who runs away to Japan in the future, Neuromancer has AI's and a REALLY BADASS CHICK with razorblades under her nails.
    2. The Left hand of Darkness - Ursula K LeGuin - about an anthropologist on a planet where the human-like aliens have no gender.
    3. Her Smoke Rose up Forever - James Triptree Jr. - Actually a lady. A collection of works. Kind of depressing, but some really good stuff here.
    4. Roger Zelazny - Collected Stories - Some of his stuff is more fantasy than hard Sci Fi, but I really love his stories. There is a short story called "And Then Came the Power" (I think that's the title) that makes me cry every time I read it.
    5. Ray Bradbury's short stories - His descriptive writing is very evocative. I love his descriptions. Fahrenheit 451 is one of my favorite books ever.

Also Heinlein, even though he was a knob.

Here are some that I believe are most excellent:
    1984 (need I explain why?),
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley,
    the Ender and Shadow series by Orson Scott Card,
    Dune (the 1st one),
    a good majority of the literature by Arthur C. Clarke,
    Foundation or any other books by Isaac Asimov,
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Doug Adams,
    any literature by Kurt Vonnegut,
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess,
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and A Scanner Darkly by Phillip K. Dick,
    The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton.
    EDIT: Oh and the Mars series by Kim Stanley Robinson.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited May 2009
    Arthur C. Clarke and Isaac Asimov
    How could I have forgotten to put Asimov and Arthur C. Clark on there! Shame on me!
    1984(need I explain why?),Brave New Worldby Aldous Huxley,
    Doesn't everyone read those in school? I did.
    Do Androids Dream of Electric SheepandA Scanner Darklyby Phillip K. Dick
    You know, I still haven't gotten around to reading the Philip K. Dick anthology sitting on my shelf. I've seen both Blade Runner and A Scanner Darkly but I've never read them.
    Kurt Vonnegut
    Slaughterhouse 5!
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Arthur C. Clarke and Isaac Asimov
    How could I have forgotten to put Asimov and Arthur C. Clark on there! Shame on me!
    1984(need I explain why?),Brave New Worldby Aldous Huxley,

Do Androids Dream of Electric SheepandA Scanner Darklyby Phillip K. Dick
    You know, I still haven't gotten around to reading the Philip K. Dick anthology sitting on my shelf. I've seen both Blade Runner and A Scanner Darkly but I've never read them.
    Kurt Vonnegut
    Slaughterhouse 5!To the Clarke and Asimov comment: Yes...very much so....now you have to spend some time-out in the Star Gate.

To the Vonnegut comment: I have only twelve words to sum up my thoughts about this. "My name is Yom Yomson, I live in Wisconsin" and "so it goes"

To the Brave New World comment: Yeah...what's your point? Also Ridley Scott is taking the ballsy and very risky challenge of actually making a movie out of that. To be honest I don't know how to feel. I have a large amount of respect for Mr. Scott and his movies, don't get me wrong, but I don't think Brave New World can make it to a general release theater without getting the NC-17 rating on it.
  • Might as well get rid of Pownce on IDshare since Pownce doesn't exist anymore.
  • 1984(need I explain why?),Brave New Worldby Aldous Huxley,
    My English teacher gave us a choice between 1984 (which I picked) and Brave New World, though I'm sure if someone wanted to read both he would be glad to provide the book and possibly some extra credit. After we finished our books he showed us V for Vendetta (film) and asked us to write a two-page paper comparing and contrasting the book with V for Vendetta (I threw the comic in there too so I could talk about Alan Moore). That was the easiest paper I have ever written.
  • 1984(need I explain why?),Brave New Worldby Aldous Huxley,
    My English teacher gave us a choice between 1984 (which I picked) and Brave New World, though I'm sure if someone wanted to read both he would be glad to provide the book and possibly some extra credit. After we finished our books he showed us V for Vendetta (film) and asked us to write a two-page paper comparing and contrasting the book with V for Vendetta (I threw the comic in there too so I could talk about Alan Moore). That was the easiest paper I have ever written.
    I was never assigned that in school so I read some it on my own. Still haven't finished it. Although the whats happening is interesting it just haven't grabbed me yet. I'm used to reading things I get instantly sucked into so when it doesn't I usually don't finish it.
  • Doesn't everyone read those in school? I did.
    I was never assigned that in school so I read some it on my own. Still haven'
    Have you reached the part with Savage yet?
  • What to do with your summer vacation? Summer Camps, beach, jorbs,,,

Basically summer activities, either the two of you have done or ones you would like to.
  • Didn't they do that on a Thursday already? I know they did "vacations."
  • Since Rym proclaims they can do a show on anything (I know I'm paraphrasing but whatever), do one on love. I cannot wait for the comments from this post.
  • Since Rym proclaims they can do a show on anything (I know I'm paraphrasing but whatever), do one on love. I cannot wait for the comments from this post.
    Romantic love? Familial love? Love of shoes? Boy love? Love is a bit general.
  • What is love? Baby, don't hurt me.
  • What is love? Baby, don't hurt me.
    Don't hurt me, no more.
  • edited May 2009
    We need a Love Week. Perhaps even a Love Month.
    Post edited by Walker on
    That's up to them to decide, as I could be talking about any number of meanings.
  • That's up to them to decide, as I could be talking about any number of meanings.
    Thus the request for clarification.
  • That's up to them to decide, as I could be talking about any number of meanings.
    Thus the request for clarification.
    Oh fine...thanks for ruining my facade of mystery! I was talking more along the lines of romantic love such as past and present girlfriends, what to do and not to do on dates (aimed at the high-school listeners), what romantic love means to them, etc.
  • edited May 2009
    Umm... I am not sure they would be the best authorities to discuss that topic - particularly not Scott.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Umm... I am not sure they would be the best authorities to discuss that topic - particularly not Scott.
    Well...make this a Rym and Emily episode as I'm sure Rym has a couple elementary school tales and it would make sense since there are both genders on the show and they can offer different viewpoints on what love is and why it is important to this world.