This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Show Ideas and Reminders

Comments

• How about just about geek dating in general? Opinions on finding love online?
  • How about just about geek dating in general? Opinions on finding love online?
    Or maybe on geeks trying to date non-geeks, and how to both involve them in your geekery without over-involving them? That could be included within geek dating, of course...
  • edited May 2009
    I'm still waiting for the sex episode. Hopefully they'll have a lot to contribute. Besides, who needs chips when you can have the salsa? ^_~
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • Besides, who needs chips when you can have the salsa? ^_~
    Oh good lord, I now have that "My salsa" song stuck in my head.
  • edited May 2009
    I'm still waiting for the sex episode.
    Ha!
    Again, probably not a good Scott topic.
    A sex discussion is incredibly unnecessary in this kind of podcast unless there is some uniquely geeky twist. Seriously, the majority of our media addresses the topic of sex in one way or another.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • ...unless there is some uniquely geeky twist. Seriously, the majority of our media addresses the topic of sex in one way or another.
    They could try to do an episode on how to talk to meet people at a convention for romantic reasons or not. Also, how to deal with a long distance relationship, how to meet someone in WOW or other online games, or maybe an interview with some of the ppl from Soul Geek.
  • ...unless there is some uniquely geeky twist. Seriously, the majority of our media addresses the topic of sex in one way or another.
    They could try to do an episode on how to talk to meet people at a convention for romantic reasons or not. Also, how to deal with a long distance relationship, how to meet someone in WOW or other online games, or maybe an interview with some of the ppl fromSoul Geek.
    If that is what you want, I don't think they have much experience with most of those things.
  • If that is what you want, I don't think they have much experience with most of those things.
    You'd be surprised.
    They could try to do an episode on how to talk to meet people at a convention for romantic reasons...
    Much experience.
    ...or not.
    Also much experience.
    how to deal with a long distance relationship
    Got this one down.
    how to meet someone in WOW or other online games
    I have stories from The Realm and my old BBS days.

I've pretty-much got all of these covered (except that I've never heard of "Soul Geek"). ^_~
  • Looking forward to that one sided conversation.
  • GeoGeo
    edited May 2009
    Looking forward to that one sided conversation.
    Yeah, that will make an interesting schism between Rym and Scott.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited May 2009
    how to deal with a long distance relationship
    Got this one down.
    Totally. We were 350 miles apart when we started dating, and I'd only get to see him when I would go home or when he would come and visit NYC. I also spent that term in Japan, junior year. Before I graduated, even though he lived in Beacon that was still 60 miles away. We managed okay.

Rym is a serious flirt, so he's good at meeting people.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • how to deal with a long distance relationship
    Got this one down.
    Totally. We were 350 miles apart when we started dating, and I'd only get to see him when I would go home or when he would come and visit NYC. I also spent that term in Japan, junior year. Before I graduated, even though he lived in Beacon that was still 60 miles away. We managed okay.
    I've had three long distance relationships. They can work out really, really well - it did for the MacRosses and Rymily.
  • They can work out really, really well
    Or, they can go Really, really badly.
  • Or, they can go Really, really badly.
    Same could be said for relationships in general.
  • edited May 2009
    Edit: I posted a big, long rant here, but it was just be me being bitter and angry, and you don't need to be putting up with that.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • how to deal with a long distance relationship
    Got this one down.
    I've had three long distance relationships. They can work out really, really well - it did for the MacRosses and Rymily.
    Too bad those stories seem far and few between. I got nothing but problems, but then again it wasn't the best relationship.
  • I have found that long distance relationships can work if the conditions below are met:
    1) If you know the person in real life. To quote MC Lars "Online relationships are just pretend."
    2) If you: (a) are fine with limited physical intimacy or (b) agree with the other person that seeking physical intimacy elsewhere is acceptable.
    3) If you are not indefinitely parted. If the distance has a shelf life (i.e. graduating, getting back from military service).
    5) If you take the time to communicate with your partner frequently and take every opportunity available to visit them.
    4) If your relationship is healthy and happy to begin with.

I have had a few long distance relationships. Even when they ended, I could still look back and say that they were worthwhile and I was better for having had them.
  • How about a show on Graphics Novel god, Doug TenNapel. For those of you who don't know he is the man responsible for bringing us enduring classics like Earthworm Jim, Tommysaurus Rex, Gear, and Iron West.
  • Earthworm Jim alone would be a great show. Game OR cartoon.
  • An episode on Personal Computer Security. For example how to securely manage hundreds of passwords for hundreds of sites. If you use something like Keepass it seems like you ultimately have only one password for everything (although I use a key file). Whether encrypting disks/partitions/emails etc. is necessary. You know, a generals episode on this sort of stuff that might help some paranoid minds.
  • GeoGeo
    edited June 2009
    Is the thing of the day thread really worth it anymore? We all know the slow pace that Scrym is going and it's well known that they never take our ideas, with rare exceptions. I don't mean to sound negative, but there really is no point anymore.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • No, actually they look sometimes. Besides, what do you care if people want to submit ideas?
  • No, actually they look sometimes. Besides, what do you care if people want to submit ideas?
    It's just that I wish that these ideas bore fruit, because Scrym has been complaining that they are running out of ideas and yet here is this gigantic thread full of potential shows and yet nothing comes of it.
  • Is the thing of the day thread really worth it anymore? We all know the slow pace that Scrym is going and it's well known that they never take our ideas, with rare exceptions.
    I was under the impression that the Thing of the Day thread is for OUR things of the day. Scrym seem to do just fine on their own.
  • edited June 2009
    I was under the impression that the Thing of the Day thread is for OUR things of the day. Scrym seem to do just fine on their own.
    This is correct.
    It's just that I wish that these ideas bore fruit, because Scrym has been complaining that they are running out of ideas and yet here is this gigantic thread full of potential shows and yet nothing comes of it.
    I could probably say this in a more tactful way, but that's too much effort.

Basically, 99% of your guys ideas are either crap or infeasible. Here are the things your idea must have in order for us to actually use it.

1) Your idea has to be something we know about. Sure, you might say we are lazy, and don't want to expend the effort to research something. That may be true. However, if we have to research something, then you can research it also. Quite a few early GeekNights episodes were effectively just us reading the Wikipedia article out loud. That is no good. There is no point to a show unless we are discussing something with which we are familiar, and have personal insights to add. So if you ask for a show on scuba diving, while it's cool, it's not going to happen.

2) Your idea has to be big. A great many show ideas would result in a show that is one sentence long. You have to pic a topic that is large enough and deep enough to warrant at least 20 minutes of good discussion, preferably 30. Try talking for 30 minutes about one thing. That's a lot of talking. Not only that, but Rym and I need to have 30 minutes of things to say about the topic. There might be 30 minutes worth of things to say about a particular topic, but if we personally only have 5 minutes of things to say, it isn't going to happen.

3) Your idea can't be too big. Some people send us ideas for shows that are absolutely gigantic. Someone might send in a show idea and ask us to talk about something so broad that there isn't actually a show idea. Someone might say do a show about video games. Well, what about video games? You have to throw us a bone. Your idea needs to stimulate our minds such that things to say start pouring out.

4) Your idea has to appeal to the audience. Many ideas we get are incredibly specific. You would be surprised how many people submit a show idea that only applies to them personally, or covers some niche thing that only they care about. We're not doing a whole show just for one person, or one small group of people. Pick something that the listeners will actually care about.

5) Your idea has to be entertaining. This sort of goes along with number four, but is a little different. If a show appeals to the audience, then I guess it is safe to assume it is entertaining to the audience on some level. However, it has to be entertaining for us as well. We're doing the show for free, so we're not going to suffer for it. If we don't feel like talking about something, we aren't going to talk about it. We're going to pick show topics we care about, and want to talk about.

There have been cases where people sent show ideas and then we did them immediately. Those were good show ideas. If we didn't do your show idea, it's probably because of one of the reasons above. If you want to know which specific reasons we do not do a specific idea, just ask.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • GeoGeo
    edited June 2009
    How about some of those "Tales from RIT" shows that Scrym talked about in the College Dorms episode. If not that than an episode about sex.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • How about some of those "Tales from RIT" shows that Scrym talked about in the College Dorms episode. If not that than an episode about sex.
    I don't think that there are any tales from RIT that haven't been told that we also remember.

What about sex?
  • How about some of those "Tales from RIT" shows that Scrym talked about in the College Dorms episode. If not that than an episode about sex.
    I don't think that there are any tales from RIT that haven't been told that we also remember.

What about sex?
    I'd classify it as the sequel to the Masturbation episode.
  • How about a show on sound/video editing programs? Talk about the different ones you've used, the one that's used to record and edit Geeknights, give some hints about how to use them well, etc.
    Or, a more open "How to Make a Podcast" show, focusing on the technical side rather than the content side. This would include the program, but open up to mics, volumes, distribution, etc.
  • How about a show on sound/video editing programs? Talk about the different ones you've used, the one that's used to record and edit Geeknights, give some hints about how to use them well, etc.
    Or, a more open "How to Make a Podcast" show, focusing on the technical side rather than the content side. This would include the program, but open up to mics, volumes, distribution, etc.
    Too much for one show. Also, requires visual aids.