This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Left4Dead

Comments

• I wasn't expecting much but after seeing the trailer, I'm really excited. I still like the old survivors, but everything else looks awesome.
  • What happened to all the DLC promised? L4D2 sounds more like a kick in the balls
    I agree. They should just make an expansion or upgrade for L4D instead of making L4D2. If there's a chainsaw, let me use it in L4D1 as well. If there's a better director, I also want to get it into the L4D1 missions. The game is too new to be obsoleted with a sequel. Expansion is what we really want.
  • Ha. I did the right thing to wait before I bought it. In your face, Andrew!
  • edited June 2009
    I felt the same way too. I felt like it should be in an expansion but if they want to re-light the L4D fire( production and commercial wise) so be it. I'm absolutely sure Valve will bring me another piece of entertainment that I'll eat up. As for the game being too new for a sequel... Sequels should be made when things die down. For a small game like L4D the timing is just right. Recently the group I play L4D with has gone back to Tf2. Survival mode update didn't add much to the whole package. I think a sequel is an awesome idea.
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • I have a boner about this game. And I stand 100 percent behind Scott's proposed title: Right 2 Life.
  • After watching all the gameplay videos I could get my hands on, (link) L4D2 seems very much more of an arcade-shooter; the game is bright, there's incendiary ammo, and... A saucepan. Anyway, this seems alright; the way I see it, we'll be able to play '2 for a laugh or a more lighthearted game, but 1 will still be accessible for if you want to play something a bit more serious.
  • After watching all the gameplay videos I could get my hands on,(link)L4D2 seems very much more of an arcade-shooter; the game is bright, there's incendiary ammo, and... A saucepan. Anyway, this seems alright; the way I see it, we'll be able to play '2 for a laugh or a more lighthearted game, but 1 will still be accessible for if you want to play something a bit more serious.
    So you think L4D2 is going to be the Evil Dead 2 to Evil Dead. I wonder when they'll get to the Army of Darkness end of it :-p
  • I disagree Loz, seems to me like it plays just like L4D1, I don't really get the arcade-shooter-ness. Also L4D1 is a game for a laugh/lighthearted gameplay, but I guess that might be dependent on the people you are playing with.
  • edited June 2009
    What I would love for L4D2 is to allow the Director to be controlled by a human, RTS-style (or perhaps even tabletop RPG-style). Anyone who has played Zombie Master would understand me, I think.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • What I would love for L4D2 is to allow the Director to be controlled by a human, RTS-style (or perhaps even tabletop RPG-style). Anyone who has played Zombie Master would understand me, I think.
    You can spawn certain amounts of zombies by using binds in source, just create enough binds to allow yourself to be flexible. You can force the director to panic, spawn 5-10 normal zombies by chaining commands, and spawn all the special infected. The problem is that you need to trust your human zombie master not to abuse their powers. Also, there aren't traps in L4D like there are in ZM :(
    I also disagree with that. As much as I want to feel like that, I can't help but think that I've gotten far more then my money's worth out of L4D (both of enjoyment, and time spent playing.)
  • I disagree with all this L4D2 hate. We can probably anticipate at least one or two more DLC updates before L4D2 comes out. I don't really think it's reasonable to argue that 5 new campaigns, 4 new characters, at least 1 new Special Infected, new weapons/ammo, and an improved Director should be free DLC. This is more content than L4D1 provided. I think the best anyone could reasonably hope for is a price less than the typical $50.
  • and an improved Director should be free DLC. This is more content than L4D1 provided. I think the best anyone could reasonably hope for is a price less than the typical $50.
    I don't care about the price. In fact, I assumed it would be non-free DLC. What upsets me is that these missions and director enhancements will only apply to L4D2. It would be much more awesome if it were an L4D expansion than a separate game. You could use the chainsaw and the advanced director in the new missions. You could mix and match the 8 characters. You could do survival or vs. on all the different missions.

By making it a separate game, basically everyone will stop playing L4D1. So I'm replacing the existing missions with new ones. If it were an expansion, the old missions would still get replay.
  • edited June 2009
    By making it a separate game, basically everyone will stop playing L4D1. So I'm replacing the existing missions with new ones. If it were an expansion, the old missions would still get replay.
    Well, I read on Kotaku that they are probably going to include the original four L4D missions, since they didn't want people to have to switch out of L4D2 just to play the L4D1 maps/missions.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • By making it a separate game, basically everyone will stop playing L4D1. So I'm replacing the existing missions with new ones. If it were an expansion, the old missions would still get replay.
    Well, I read on Kotaku that they are probably going to include the original four L4D missions, since they didn't want people to have to switch out of L4D2 just to play the L4D1 maps/missions.
    So people buying L4D2 will get a 2 for 1 kinda deal? so I basically payed to be a beta tester for the concept and the first 4 levels? and will have to pay an extra $50 for the whole thing? something doesn't seem quite right here. Guess we have to wait to see till launch day.
  • So people buying L4D2 will get a 2 for 1 kinda deal? so I basically payed to be a beta tester for the concept and the first 4 levels? and will have to pay an extra $50 for the whole thing? something doesn't seem quite right here. Guess we have to wait to see till launch day.
    I certainly agree with your sentiments here. Hopefully, they won't allow access to the old campaigns unless you own the original.
  • JayJay
    edited June 2009
    I just feel bad for anyone making custom maps for L4D. Valve basically gave the mod community a boot in the ass with this move. I was hoping to play in a fully functional Toronto map too :(
    Post edited by Jay on
  • Not necessarily, it's likely that the L4D tools will work for L4D2. Or I would imagine at least easily be ported to the new game.
  • edited June 2009
    Here's what I think-

1. I don't really like the new survivors, or the South setting.
    2. I love the new weapons, zombies, campaigns, etc. The new Director is also awesome.
    3. I agree with the notion that it should be released as an expansion, not a new game.
    4. I also hope that the new maps, survivors, weapons, zombies, etc. will all be backwards compatible with each other.
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • edited June 2009
    I certainly agree with your sentiments here. Hopefully, they won't allow access to the old campaigns unless you own the original.
    I don't, I must admit. When it comes to video games, I generally save the bitching for when I've actually got something in your hands to complain about, rather than complaining based on a press release and a trailer.

That's all I have to say, really, I don't care much about the issue. Though I do think that I should point out one particular thing -
    So people buying L4D2 will get a 2 for 1 kinda deal? so I basically payed to be a beta tester for the concept and the first 4 levels? and will have to pay an extra $50 for the whole thing? something doesn't seem quite right here. Guess we have to wait to see till launch day.
    Hey, you can play maps based on the Original Halo in Halo 3, Does that just make Halo a beta test for Halo 3, too? Shit, man, How stupid must the people who bought Civ 1-3 Feel...
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Hopefully, they won't allow access to the old campaigns unless you own the original.
    What kind of jerk attitude is that? How does letting other people get something that you already own diminish your enjoyment of what you have in any way? Restricting it would only lower your player pool for those campaigns and create a silly dichotomy that serves no purpose other than to reward one person's slightly higher expenditure of money. They most certainly should allow anyone with L4D2 to play any part of L4D1.
  • Agreed, Rym. That kind of attitude is just plain vindictive.
  • I certainly agree with your sentiments here. Hopefully, they won't allow access to the old campaigns unless you own the original.
    Instead of this, how about they just give a discount to all people who already have L4D1 in their Steam accounts?
  • I don't know about you guys but I feel like I have gotten my 50 dollars out of the game and then some.
  • I don't know about you guys but I feel like I have gotten my 50 dollars out of the game and then some.
    I agree. You didn't pay to beta test; you paid the opportunity cost to have the game for a year before the sequel comes out.
    Meh, I guess you are right, I've also got my moneys worth out of it. And who am I kidding, I'll probably buy it on pre-release.
  • Wait, wait, wait.. How long until this comes out?
  • Yesterday's game was fun but we should really try that again with balanced teams. Knowing the maps on vs mode is really important.
    On a side note, I was able to last minute swipe kill a survivor right before they reached the safe room twice last night! It made my night.
  • Wait, wait, wait.. How long until this comes out?
    They say November at this point.