This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Left4Dead

Comments

• Hey, drawing hands isn't easy. It took people a while to notice too.
  • Look ma, 3 hands!
    That has been known since last year!
  • New content to be released this spring.It will include two new Versus Mode campaigns, a new "survival" game mode, and the L4D SDK. I'm very excited.
    Scrym said L4D had a very short shelf life, but I am still actively playing and enjoying it. Honestly, it's the FPS I've enjoyed the most since the Doom II and Duke Nukem 3D days; it's great for quick fun with ample parts strategy and run-and-gun. I can't wait to see what cool new tricks and gimmicks the software geniuses come up with once the SDK hits. The forum gang should be playing this more together than we currently are.
  • The forum gang should be playing this more together than we currently are.
    I wish I could, but rent is more important than computer parts.
  • I can't wait to see what cool new tricks and gimmicks the software geniuses come up with once the SDK hits.
    I've got some really talented acquaintances already working on campaigns, so I'm super excited. It'll also be interesting to see how the inevitable hacked-in vehicle missions turn out.
  • Tactical Gamer already as a custom campaign set up. If anyone wants to play it with me, send me a message over Steam and we will get a group together.
  • It seems most people here don't care, but the survival pack is out.
    Survival mode is quite enjoyable so far.
  • It seems most people here don't care, but the survival pack is out.
    Survival mode is quite enjoyable so far.
    I haven't played L4D in a long time, but survival mode was quite intense, especially with the new map.

Also, me and my friend hosted a local game and we ended up cheating massively. Infinite ammo, god mode, and we were all set. We spawned 5 tanks at a time, and there is no limit to the amount of zombies so binds were set to spawn 10 per press. Zombies were set to run at 10 times the speed, And there were explosions and fire everywhere using the boom and fire command. 20 witches were spawned in the same spot, causing them to all kill each other with rooms COMPLETELY covered in blood. It was utter chaos and carnage. We ended up playing for 25 minutes for a single round, and then there was some sort of glitch or something that caused my computer to slow down, despite being smooth prior to this happening. There must be a memory leak or something that happens once you hit a certain mark. We ended up killing 2500 zombies and around 70 of each special infected. That was fun.

Also, we discovered that the map is barely modified from the original. Survival mode still uses the entirety of the map, with even a proper safe house. I don't know if it's actually possible to win since my friend started spawning 50 witches and 100 common infected in that single room and crashed the server.
  • Yeah survival mode is fun, its a nice mode if you only want to play for a little while. The new campaign verses maps are really good. It feels like there are a lot more places for infected to use to attack the survivors.
  • So, anyone up for some Left 4 Dead? I haven't seen anyone in the official Geeknights steam chat channel for A WHILE!
  • So, anyone up for some Left 4 Dead? I haven't seen anyone in theofficial Geeknights steam chat channelfor A WHILE!
    I'm always up for some Left 4 Dead. I'm rarely in the chat, but if you want to play just send me an IM. Steam Community Page (for friending me). I'm also in the GN group.
  • I didn't realize there was a Geeknights community on Steam. Well now I've joined that.
  • This game is going to have a free play day on April 30th.
    SCOTT'S BIRTHDAY!

And yeah, that already passed
    SCOTT'S BIRTHDAY!

It starts at midnight GMT, which already happened. It will end around 6-7ish EST tomorrow.
  • The new update with the stats I think is pretty neat. Still waiting for the SDK, though.
  • edited May 2009
    This game is going to have a free play day on April 30th.
    SCOTT'S BIRTHDAY!

It starts at midnight GMT, which already happened. It will end around 6-7ish EST tomorrow.
    I disagree with using GMT for birthdays. Not until all birth certificates have time in GMT...
    Discrepancies arise, but the most logical approach is to use the timezone the person having the birthday is currently in. If you wanted to be pedantic, you would recalculate the date/time, converting the date/time of birth from birth timezone to local timezone, which could shift the birthday by + or -1 days.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I disagree with using GMT for birthdays. Not until all birth certificates have time in GMT...
    I was referring to Left 4 Dead. Valve's information was distributed in GMT.
  • :D That makes more sense now.
  • edited May 2009

Featuring Apreche, Cremlian, Jason, and me.

Unfortunately, I did not get to record our gold run on The Gas Station.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Well you didn't record that and us all majorly failing against a tank so I call it even :-p
  • Featuring Apreche, Cremlian, Jason, and me.
    Was the music playing during the game or did you add it to the video...?
  • edited May 2009
    Featuring Apreche, Cremlian, Jason, and me.
    Was the music playing during the game or did you add it to the video...?
    That's what I listen to when I play L4D. Usually I just run pandora in a steam browser.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • That's what I listen to when I play L4D. Usually I just run pandora in a steam browser.
    Seems like a pretty peaceful song compared to the situation in the game :)
  • Left 4 Dead 2. I can't wait!
    A chainsaw, I'm in twice!
  • Left 4 Dead 2. I can't wait!
    A chainsaw, I'm in twice!
    I hope the baseball bat lets you go BONK!
  • I hope there's a sandvich.
  • What happened to all the DLC promised? L4D2 sounds more like a kick in the balls
  • Nice to see that there was more info on this somewhere.

I'm really surprised that they are releasing a new one so quickly, but considering what they've done it seems like it really is going to be a completely new game. Hopefully they'll make the two games compatible with each other so I don't have to quit one and load the other to switch between the maps if I want to play some of the old ones as opposed to the new ones.