This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Left4Dead

Comments

• Not to mention, who wants them? I want to play my game, not watch it.
    Though you have to admit that more CGI-based feature-length movies would be quite awesome.
  • Though you have to admit that more CGI-based feature-length movies would be quite awesome.
    No. There are too many. I'd rather see some more 2D animation.
  • I'd rather see some more 2D animation.
    QFT. At least when you have a human cast. CG just isn't there yet for doing humans without running into that "Uncanny Valley" stuff.
  • QFT. At least when you have a human cast. CG just isn't there yet for doing humans without running into that"Uncanny Valley"stuff.
    Lolwut?
  • Steam pre-order demos unlock at 2AM PST.
  • Steam pre-order demos unlock at 2AM PST.
    Looks like I'll be playing after work.
  • I've played some offline, but I haven't gotten an online match to work yet.

So far, awesomeness!
  • Yeah, the single player is pretty sweet. I can definitely see a lot of potential in it with real people.
  • Been blasting apart Boomers, Smokers, Hunters and Tanks, even Witches. Let me tell you, Expert is really fucking balls-hard. If you aren't running faster, more zombies will pour in. Took us 5 or so tries till we finally got to the end. To all trying to play a game, either open ports and host, or just keep trying to join a game in progress. Best chances you'll get to play.
  • Oh man, I can't wait for my download to finish.
  • My thoughts:

1. Awesome as hell, especially at 2:30 AM with 3 friends of mine and class the next morning.
    2. It gives you an option to host locally and I didn't have to mess with ports or anything for it to work.
    3. We couldn't get the voice chat working in-game, even though it worked in Steam chat. Anyone else having a similar problem?
    Expert is really fucking balls-hard.
    QFT.
  • 2. It gives you an option to host locally and I didn't have to mess with ports or anything for it to work.
    How did you do that? I could get it to host a LAN game, but I couldn't get it to host an Internet game.
  • How did you do that? I could get it to host a LAN game, but I couldn't get it to host an Internet game.
    I just created a friends-only game (not a public one). When I told the server to start after everyone was ready, it searched for a few minutes before popping up with a dialog saying something like "cannot find server, would you like to host locally?"
  • I just created a friends-only game (not a public one). When I told the server to start after everyone was ready, it searched for a few minutes before popping up with a dialog saying something like "cannot find server, would you like to host locally?"
    Yeah, I got that also. However, my dialog box said "can not find a server, would you like to host a LAN server?" not "would you like to host locally?" When I said yes, it made a LAN server, and since the other players were on the net, not on the LAN, it didn't work.
  • Yeah, I got that also. However, my dialog box said "can not find a server, would you like to host a LAN server?" not "would you like to host locally?" When I said yes, it made a LAN server, and since the other players were on the net, not on the LAN, it didn't work.
    I'm guessing it's conditional where if you have more than one person in the lobby it hosts it locally otherwise it creates a LAN server.
  • I'm guessing it's conditional where if you have more than one person in the lobby it hosts it locally otherwise it creates a LAN server.
    We'll have to test that out. People! Use the Steam community!
  • We'll have to test that out. People! Use the Steam community!
    Yes! Please do. There are like seventy people in the Geeknights group, but no one is every in the chat or playing games with each other. We need to get that shit going.
    edited November 2008
    I just created a friends-only game (not a public one). When I told the server to start after everyone was ready, it searched for a few minutes before popping up with a dialog saying something like "cannot find server, would you like to host locally?"
    Yeah, I got that also. However, my dialog box said "can not find a server, would you like to host a LAN server?" not "would you like to host locally?" When I said yes, it made a LAN server, and since the other players were on the net, not on the LAN, it didn't work.
    It was an update. At least, here I had to let it redo it's work after installation/updates.
    3. We couldn't get the voice chat working in-game, even though it worked in Steam chat. Anyone else having a similar problem?
    Are you pressing 'C'? Or whatever key you have assigned to voice chat?
    QFT.
    I SAID THAT!
    Yes! Please do. There are like seventy people in the Geeknights group, but no one is every in the chat or playing games with each other. We need to get that shit going.
    I played with you! It was awesome! Also, the joining of games is a bit bugged, as we discovered. It appears nobody can join a lobby that just finished playing the 2 Demo levels. You'd have to start a new lobby for people to be able to join. Lastly, Americans should be game leaders, there appear to be no Dedicated Servers in Europe, yet.

EDIT: UPDATE!
    A Steam client update is now available. To apply the update, click the File menu inside of Steam and then select "Check for Steam Client Updates...". The specific changes include:

Steam Client
    • Fixed NAT-traversal library using too much CPU during L4D - matchmaking
    • Fixed several localization issues
    • Fixed install wizard forcing clients to install the full version of a game instead of the demo version, when the full version isn't released yet
    • Added l4d.com to the whitelist of chat url's not to warn about
    Post edited by ... on
  • Apparently the demo is really easy to mod. I predict lots of awesomeness for Left4Dead
  • So I woke up early this morning and the demo had finished downloading, "give it a blast" thought I.

This game is just brilliant; such a sense of camaraderie, multiple paths, good weapon choices, excellent enemies.

As for any network issues, well i never tried yesterday but joining a server and starting to play was real easy. this morning.

Lastly, the system specifications say a 3.0Ghz, well if that worries you it was running fine on my 2.2GHz AMD (albeit with a 7600gs).

May see you online later today.
  • God fucking dammit. There are so many PC games I want to play but need a new PC to play them. If I didn't have to spend money on a new amp right now...
  • edited November 2008
    I'm guessing it's conditional where if you have more than one person in the lobby it hosts it locally otherwise it creates a LAN server.
    Actually I don't think this is true. I had a friend earlier today try and host a game with multiple people, and it was creating a LAN server that we couldn't join. When I host, however, it always just asks me to host locally and works nicely regardless of the number of people.
    Post edited by Blattus on
  • The first couple of plays really had me feeling like there were multiple ways to get where you were supposed to go. Upon further inspection, however, the choice is really just cut through the building or go around it, left of the subway cart, right of the subway cart, or cut through it, all the while funneling me down the same main path toward the same safe room. I don't know if the game was ever promising it, but I hope the other maps offer more variations.
  • God fucking dammit. There are so many PC games I want to play but need a new PC to play them. If I didn't have to spend money on a new amp right now...
    If your computer is better than my P4 3Ghz, 1GB RAM with an Nvidia 6200, you can play the game with ease. It'll still be awesome even without the fancy visuals. When you then finally have the funds to upgrade your computer, you'll have a complete new experience that reinvigorates your Left 4 Dead gaming.

Who else here thinks there should be an option to select the old character models+skins? They were also awesome, and were a better indication of 2 weeks of survival in a zombie apocalypse growing worse and worse.
  • L4D IS AMAZING!!!
    I always loved zombies games, L4D seems to be perfection. My computer can hardly handle it, I'm averaging 30fps D: but the gameplay just blows it out the park! The only gripe I have is with the online. It seems to play online you have to use a dedicated server instead of just hosting your own, this maybe just in the demo though. Once again Valve makes a super freakin awesome game.
  • edited November 2008
    I was really impressed with what I played of the demo. Co-op works just as I imagined it, fun even with complete strangers. I'm gonna play a bit more with the demo, but I'm seriously thinking about buying the full game at this point. Its going to have to wait a while though, I still have to get around to playing through the Half-Life 2 games.
    Post edited by Calcaneus on
  • edited November 2008
    The demo was godly, because of it I'm buying the full game. All hail valve.

3 words: The car alarm. <--highlight
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • I am getting it, I need to see how good is this.
  • Far cry 2 was meh, fallout 3 was pretty fun, but L4D is the only game which I just can not wait for. The game actually seemed underwhelming at first, but maybe because I expected god himself to join me in my conquest against the dead, fighting with mighty shotguns. I guess it's all the hype surrounding the game. But now I've been playing it for over 12 hours now on steam, last time I've checked. I've even messed around with all the hidden content, like spawning as zombies. It's bloody fun, in both the "british" way and "human fluids" way. Nothing can beat the sight of 30 zombies rushing at you from the doorways. It must have taken a bit of time to get the AI path finding and animation to work so fluidly.
    edited November 2008
    It must have taken a bit of time to get the AI path finding and animation to work so fluidly.
    The walking animations are awesome yes. As for the path finding, Valve uses special node maps (or whatever they were called) for NPC path navigation. Path finding wasn't the hardest part since it is already in Source, the AI director is the hard part coupled with the maps.
    Post edited by ... on