This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Left4Dead

Comments

• Really? Judging by only the demo, I think the one major failing of the game is that is has virtually no scare factor. Half-Life 2 is scarier than the L4D demo. By having a constant zombie flood, there is absolutely no "jump out and go boo" scary, the easiest kind of scary to get.
    There are some places in the demo that make me real nervous. The primary one is the bedroom on the top floor of the first building. The lights are completely off and all you see is your little flashlight circle.
    This is why I wish I had a better graphics card. I don't need my flashlight in the demo. At all.
  • This is why I wish I had a better graphics card. I don't need my flashlight in the demo. At all.
    That has nothing to do with your graphics card being good or bad. That has to do with you properly calibrating your brightness settings on the card and the monitor. Whether you have NVidia or ATi, there are very flexible color, brightness, and contrast settings available in the driver settings.
  • This is why I wish I had a better graphics card. I don't need my flashlight in the demo. At all.
    That has nothing to do with your graphics card being good or bad. That has to do with you properly calibrating your brightness settings on the card and the monitor. Whether you have NVidia or ATi, there are very flexible color, brightness, and contrast settings available in the driver settings.
    Eh, yes it has to do with my graphics card. It does not have the power to do all the fancy after effects that make the rooms dark as hell.

My monitor is correctly calibrated for your information.
    Eh, yes it has to do with my graphics card. It does not have the power to do all the fancy after effects that make the rooms dark as hell.

My monitor is correctly calibrated for your information.
    Making things dark isn't an after effect. Just turn down the gamma.
  • Making things dark isn't an after effect. Just turn down the gamma.
    *facepalm* It's not just simply "dark" it's a ton of shadow effect that makes the areas darker. Go look at screenshots comparing low settings to high settings. People with minimum specs also need to be able to play the game. Old video cards do not support the after effects that manage the stuff.
  • Making things dark isn't an after effect. Just turn down the gamma.
    *facepalm* It's not just simply "dark" it's a ton of shadow effect that makes the areas darker. Go look at screenshots comparing low settings to high settings. People with minimum specs also need to be able to play the game. Old video cards do not support the after effects that manage the stuff.
    I'm going to go turn my settings down, and I'll tell you what I see.
    edited November 2008
    I'm going to go turn my settings down, and I'll tell you what I see.
    You forget the shitty graphics card part. I'm sure this has major influence, seeing as it cannot handle the textures for the broken glass in the subway booths. But I think you'll get far enough with putting all settings on 'shitty' yes. You should not need to turn on the flash light. :)
    Post edited by ... on
  • I turned every graphic setting all the way down. However, I kept the resolution at 1680x1050. I also recalibrated the in-game brightness setting, but did not change my monitor or video driver settings at all. I started a game on easy, to make it quick, and ran straight into the dark bedroom. It was pitch black, except for the flashlight. If I stopped to look at things, the graphics were noticeably crappier. Everything had jagged edges and half-life 1 style blocky screwed up textures. However, when I was moving quickly, running and gunning, I didn't notice any difference.
  • I turned every graphic setting all the way down. However, I kept the resolution at 1680x1050. I also recalibrated the in-game brightness setting, but did not change my monitor or video driver settings at all. I started a game on easy, to make it quick, and ran straight into the dark bedroom. It was pitch black, except for the flashlight. If I stopped to look at things, the graphics were noticeably crappier. Everything had jagged edges and half-life 1 style blocky screwed up textures. However, when I was moving quickly, running and gunning, I didn't notice any difference.
    Then it appears that the hardware does make a huge difference. What graphics card do you use?
  • Then it appears that the hardware does make a huge difference. What graphics card do you use?
    I have an 8800GT with a Dell Ultrasharp 20".

Really, I just think your stuff is calibrated incorrectly.
  • I got to play the demo on a friend's XBox, and it was pretty damn fun! I hate the Boomers, though. Fucking Boomers, alerting our presence to other zombies. Has anyone else seen the Hulk-ish zombie?
    edited November 2008
    Really, I just think your stuff is calibrated incorrectly.
    I checked my calibration last time you said that. Just as confirmation, and yes, it's still. correctly calibrated. I have a Geforce 6200. The minimum is a 6600. My card does not support all the fancy stuff the 8800GT does.
    Has anyone else seen the Hulk-ish zombie?
    Many times, have you seen it die?
    Post edited by ... on
  • The best way to beat a tank is to set it on fire and run back to the start of the map.
  • The best way to beat a tank is to set it on fire and run back to the start of the map.
    What if it is in the subway booths area? Not that much to run. And it'll be hard to all get back up on the ledge and close the door in time.
  • edited November 2008
    What if it is in the subway booths area?
    Then you're in trouble. Though the tank could be easily beaten by sitting in the vents (I've heard this may have been patched though).
    Still, setting the tank on fire and then focusing on running like hell is always a good idea.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • What if it is in the subway booths area?
    Then you're in trouble. Though the tank could be easily beaten by sitting in the vents (I've heard this may have been patched though).
    Still, setting the tank on fire and then focusing on running like hell is always a good idea.
    Yes, but it's faster than the survivors most of the time. Don't know about 100% health survivors, but it caught up with me when I had just used a FAK, so yeah. I agree that you should always retreat to a larger area when a tank starts attacking. And have auto-shotguns. 4 auto-shotguns can take a tank down in a very short time, you might even have 0 deaths on expert that way!
  • We were playing on Elite yesterday and the Tank kept killing us. I figured out that the long subway stretch (before the final room) is the best place to fight the Tank. Someone gets it's attentions and lures it why everyone else shoots. If you're good at running backwards and know the map well, this is a good tactic as the Tank is just mince meat.

Takes a hell of a lot to kill it in Elite tho.
  • edited November 2008
    Elite == Hunter?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited November 2008
    If I do not know if my machine can run a specific game I go to this website to check if I should buy the
    game or not.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Has anyone tried to close the safe room door and finish the map with a bunch of zombies in the room? I've tried it a few times, but to no success.
  • Has anyone tried to close the safe room door and finish the map with a bunch of zombies in the room? I've tried it a few times, but to no success.
    You can close the door, but it doesn't finish. Kill the zombies and it finishes.
  • Elite == Hunter?
    Elite == Expert difficutly setting
  • edited November 2008
    Has anyone tried seeing what happens when you make the various AIs from Source games interact with each other? Antlion Guardian + Antlions vs Horde + Tank anyone?
  • Has anyone tried seeing what happens when you make the various AIs from Source games interact with each other?
    Somehow I don't think it works like that.
  • Has anyone tried seeing what happens when you make the various AIs from Source games interact with each other? Antlion Guardian + Antlions vs Horde + Tank anyone?
    Wait for a Gmod update.
  • edited November 2008
    Hilarious.

Post edited by Norvu on
  • Hilarious.
    I facepalmed too hard. My nose hurts. Seriously, what's the idiot doing shooting at the Hunter when he should push it off? COME ON! You're one step away, shove the Hunter off and then shoot it in the head. Also, that player sucks, running towards a Boomer, failing to kill it. Seriously. Also, he should be aiming at the heads while knocked down.

I agree though, it's hilarious how truly every darned thing goes wrong. I was waiting for a Smoker to snare him just after being puked upon so that he couldn't run away, but he didn't run away anyway so that didn't matter.
  • I checked my calibration last time you said that. Just as confirmation, and yes, it's still. correctly calibrated. I have a Geforce 6200. The minimum is a 6600. My card does not support all the fancy stuff the 8800GT does.
    But I turned that "stuff" off. I put every setting down as low as possible.
  • I checked my calibration last time you said that. Just as confirmation, and yes, it's still. correctly calibrated. I have a Geforce 6200. The minimum is a 6600. My card does not support all the fancy stuff the 8800GT does.
    But I turned that "stuff" off. I put every setting down as low as possible.
    But you can't turn off parts of your graphics card.

I'll give you an example. I used to play Age of Empires 3 with an Nvidia 5500, and I played with the lowest settings. I later upgraded to a 6600, and suddenly, I got fog, still with the lowest settings. Certain graphics cards enable special shadows and shaders that you can't turn off and on in the options.
  • edited November 2008
    Easy way to solve this dispute: If Nineless takes a screenshot with his graphics card then Scott looks at it on his monitor, the difference should be apparent, if it is there.