This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Left4Dead

Comments

• Easy way to solve this dispute: If Nineless takes a screenshot with his graphics card then Scott looks at it on his monitor, the difference should be apparent, if it is there.
    Actually, there is an issue with screen shots.

While I had the lowest settings enabled, I figured I would take some screen shots. Keep in mind that while I was playing the game, the rooms was black. The screen shot looked completely different. It looked like someone was playing the game on a Playstation 1. I think the screen shot isn't reading directly from the fully processed frame buffer, but from some other frame buffer earlier in the rendering process.
    edited November 2008
    I checked my calibration last time you said that. Just as confirmation, and yes, it's still. correctly calibrated. I have a Geforce 6200. The minimum is a 6600. My card does not support all the fancy stuff the 8800GT does.
    But I turned that "stuff" off. I put every setting down as low as possible.
    But you can't turn off parts of your graphics card.
    Also note how some of the settings are "Based on your [hardware here] performance.". That might perfectly explain why I can increase my resolution from 640x480 to 1024x768 and turn all options to at least Medium without any performance loss. But also without the activation of all the fancy effects other than blurring when knocked down (compared to none of that when I set effects to low).
    The screen shot looked completely different. It looked like someone was playing the game on a Playstation 1. I think the screen shot isn't reading directly from the fully processed frame buffer, but from some other frame buffer earlier in the rendering process.
    THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING! My graphics card is not capable of all the fancy graphic effects the game has build-in. My guess is that there are no 100% fixed dark rooms, because the AI director is supposed to be able to change the graphical part of the game also in those areas.

Tell me what room it is exactly and I'll make some screenshots. Compare them to your screenshot and we'll have this nonsense over with.
    Post edited by ... on
  • The screen shot looked completely different. It looked like someone was playing the game on a Playstation 1. I think the screen shot isn't reading directly from the fully processed frame buffer, but from some other frame buffer earlier in the rendering process.
    THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING! My graphics card is not capable of all the fancy graphic effects the game has build-in. My guess is that there are no 100% fixed dark rooms, because the AI director is supposed to be able to change the graphical part of the game also in those areas.
    I think what he means is that the frame buffer is also reading the gamma settings. Though, wouldn't you have your gamma set to take up as much of the screens contrast as possible?
  • Game came out four hours ago (midnight) on the East Coast and a few friends and I stayed up till now (4:00 AM) to do what we could. It was quite the experience, and let me agree with the fact that the game is really balls-hard.

Also, everyone in the GN Steam group is always in-game, but never in-chat even if they're online and available. Get on chat people!
  • Also, everyone in the GN Steam group is always in-game, but never in-chat even if they're online and available. Get on chat people!
    I never seen you in Steam chat. I often find myself to be the only person in chat! Also, decrypting Left 4 Dead. :D
  • Also, everyone in the GN Steam group is always in-game, but never in-chat even if they're online and available. Get on chat people!
    I never seen you in Steam chat. I often find myself to be the only person in chat! Also, decrypting Left 4 Dead. :D
    And how would I go about doing that?
  • And how would I go about doing that?
    Joining the Geeknights Steam chat? Very easy, if you joined the Steam group just go to your friends list, scroll down till you see the (possibly collapsed) Geeknights entry, click on the downward arrow to have a menu pop down, and select "Join group chat room".
  • And how would I go about doing that?
    http://tinyurl.com/69qcka Somebody make a note of that URL.
  • edited November 2008
    Scott, Alex, Classic, and I just tried to finish No Mercy on Advanced, but to no avail. We must have tried the rooftop rescue about 15 times.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Well I just bought L4D. I look forward to setting off car alarms with some of you. :)
  • Scott, Alex, Classic, and I just tried to finish No Mercy on Advanced, but to no avail. We must have tried the rooftop rescue about 15 times.
    Yeah it's pretty impossible on advanced. I think my group of friends tried many different strategies to no avail. I shudder to think of expert.
  • edited November 2008
    I had a team finish No Mercy on advanced with a friend and two bots.
    Right at the end a Smoker pulled me into a tank, so I died while my allies escaped on the chopper :S

We then played the next campaign, and again a Smoker got me right at the end. It's very annoying :(
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I think the biggest problem trying to beat that rooftop is the smokers and hunters. They basically cheat. No matter where the smoker appears, they will grab someone from impossibly far away, and around obstacles. Once I got grabbed through two windows and around a corner. Another time we were on the top floor of the building, and it grabbed someone all the way from the bottom where we couldn't see them.

Also, the minigun is a fucking trap. They purposefully designed the map so it can't aim anywhere useful. All the bad guys come from the sides and behind where the minigun can't hit. Also, it overheats, and you can't hold down the trigger forever like the mounted weapons in HL2. What I wouldn't give for a mod that gives HL2 weapons in L4D.

I'm thinking maybe if we go in the stairwell, two people in the middle standing, two people on the outside ducking, that we can win it. All teh zombies will be funneled in. While we have no escape, we won't be pulled away by smokers. If hunters come in, we'll be immediately saved. When the tank comes, things get quiet, so we can leave the stairwell to get ammo/health and fight the tank, then get back inside.
  • Things don't always get quiet when a tank comes though. If we're doing well, there will still be a horde of zombies, not exactly pouring through, but enough so we have to shoot them and the tank to move around effectively. Zombeaver, two random guys and I beat Dead Air on Advanced but I didn't make it on to the plane. Of course, I got swarmed right as the plane door opens, right outside the plane . . . My teammates effectively watched me die. But honestly, I have no one to blame buy myself. Instead of just running to the door as it opened, I used a medkit because I was dangerously low on HP . . . fat load of good that did me.
  • I think the biggest problem trying to beat that rooftop is the smokers and hunters. They basically cheat. No matter where the smoker appears, they will grab someone from impossibly far away, and around obstacles. Once I got grabbed through two windows and around a corner. Another time we were on the top floor of the building, and it grabbed someone all the way from the bottom where we couldn't see them.
    So? Just stick with your buddy and shove him, then the tongue releases and you can shoot the Smoker.
    Also, the minigun is a fucking trap. They purposefully designed the map so it can't aim anywhere useful. All the bad guys come from the sides and behind where the minigun can't hit. Also, it overheats, and you can't hold down the trigger forever like the mounted weapons in HL2. What I wouldn't give for a mod that gives HL2 weapons in L4D.
    That just means you have bad luck with the spawns. I've had the waves of zombies come from straight ahead of the gun.
    Things don't always get quiet when a tank comes though. If we're doing well, there will still be a horde of zombies, not exactly pouring through, but enough so we have to shoot them and the tank to move around effectively. Zombeaver, two random guys and I beat Dead Air on Advanced but I didn't make it on to the plane. Of course, I got swarmed right as the plane door opens, right outside the plane . . . My teammates effectively watched me die. But honestly, I have no one to blame buy myself. Instead of just running to the door as it opened, I used a medkit because I was dangerously low on HP . . . fat load of good that did me.
    Did you just describe what happened to me?

I haven't played No Mercy on Advanced though, only single player Normal and a lot of Versus. Versus mode is awesome. And horrendously broken if there are not at least 3 infected and a maximum of 1 perfect-awareness+perfectly-aiming bot on the survivor team.
  • Also, the minigun is a fucking trap. They purposefully designed the map so it can't aim anywhere useful. All the bad guys come from the sides and behind where the minigun can't hit. Also, it overheats, and you can't hold down the trigger forever like the mounted weapons in HL2. What I wouldn't give for a mod that gives HL2 weapons in L4D.
    Dude, you place 2 fuel tanks on the middle and on the right, as soon as you get on the minigun, fire them up, then just aim at the entrance where you came in, your party members just have to take care of the hole in the ground. (if you didn't know, you can pickup the red gas tanks and set them on fire with bullets, bigger and longer spread than the molotovs)
  • Dude, you place 2 fuel tanks on the middle and on the right, as soon as you get on the minigun, fire them up, then just aim at the entrance where you came in, your party members just have to take care of the hole in the ground. (if you didn't know, you can pickup the red gas tanks and set them on fire with bullets, bigger and longer spread than the molotovs)
    He talks about the rooftop, not the generator room.
  • Versus mode is awesome. And horrendously broken if there are not at least 3 infected and a maximum of 1 perfect-awareness+perfectly-aiming bot on the survivor team.
    Versus was a lot of fun and not what I was expecting at all. Coordination is key but even more important is not hesitating when things go right. Also, a witch randomly placed in the survivors way is always beneficial to the group. Also, crazy fun to spawn as a tank on the roofs and smack people off the rooftop.
  • Dude, you place 2 fuel tanks on the middle and on the right, as soon as you get on the minigun, fire them up, then just aim at the entrance where you came in, your party members just have to take care of the hole in the ground. (if you didn't know, you can pickup the red gas tanks and set them on fire with bullets, bigger and longer spread than the molotovs)
    He talks about the rooftop, not the generator room.
    Lol, I didn't see the one in the rooftop. We all just trenched ourselves in the "Rescue Room" right next to the ammo, taking turns 2 shooting while 2 were reloading (we almost got plowed down by a second tank, but he got stuck in the window frame)
  • Versus mode is awesome. And horrendously broken if there are not at least 3 infected and a maximum of 1 perfect-awareness+perfectly-aiming bot on the survivor team.
    Versus was a lot of fun and not what I was expecting at all. Coordination is key but even more important is not hesitating when things go right. Also, a witch randomly placed in the survivors way is always beneficial to the group. Also, crazy fun to spawn as a tank on the roofs and smack people off the rooftop.
    Yeah, we had some bad luck with early witches and Tanks. Totally unfair!
  • It's all Gabe Newell AKA The AI Director evening the odds. You keep your health up for too long, he decides "Yeah, one of you is gonna hit the floor right about . . . now." Next thing you know, a horde swarms you, a hunter has one of your teammates and a smoker's got you. You manage to fend them off long enough for the horde to stop coming and a boomer manages to spit on 2 out of 4 of you. Your health is low enough that at least 1 of you is going down with this swarm. It's all calculated. It's griefing in the most beautiful way.
  • It's all Gabe Newell AKA The AI Director evening the odds. You keep your health up for too long, he decides "Yeah, one of you is gonna hit the floor right about . . . now." Next thing you know, a horde swarms you, a hunter has one of your teammates and a smoker's got you. You manage to fend them off long enough for the horde to stop coming and a boomer manages to spit on 2 out of 4 of you. Your health is low enough that at least 1 of you is going down with this swarm. It's all calculated. It's griefing in the most beautiful way.
    Evening the odds? We had less points! Our team was awesome though. Playing infected, Apartments level of No Mercy, and we get them just before the stairs, freaking sweet! And then we try to run as fast as possible through the level. Hilarity. I'll log into Steam later today, gotta catch up some anime.
  • Getting them before they leave the alleyway outside of Apartments with a 2 hunters and a smoker is beautiful.
  • Getting them before they leave the alleyway outside of Apartments with a 2 hunters and a smoker is beautiful.
    As is ripping a sole Bill apart who jumped through the skylight and went into the bathroom. And being completely undisturbed because of great fellow Infected. :D
  • I'm thinking maybe if we go in the stairwell, two people in the middle standing, two people on the outside ducking, that we can win it. All teh zombies will be funneled in. While we have no escape, we won't be pulled away by smokers. If hunters come in, we'll be immediately saved. When the tank comes, things get quiet, so we can leave the stairwell to get ammo/health and fight the tank, then get back inside.
    This strategy has worked for me. I think that one of the keys is to have a fuel tank on the floor next to the radio, as that way you have a failsafe if the ammo room gets overrun in the event of one of the defenders being smoked. In addition, using the doors wisely can be very helpful as well. For the tank, molotovs/fuel tanks are essential: it worked once to draw him up to the roof and then jump off and shoot up while running backwards.
    Right at the end a Smoker pulled me into a tank, so I died while my allies escaped on the chopper :S

We then played the next campaign, and again a Smoker got me right at the end. It's very annoying :(
    The exact same thing happened to me.
  • In addition, using the doors wisely can be very helpful as well.
    Doors should remain open at all times, as Andrew will attest to. Scott closed a door on him as a swarm was on his ass which of course resulted in death for poor Andrew. This is, of course, after I repeatedly said "Keep the doors open!"
  • In addition, using the doors wisely can be very helpful as well.
    Doors should remain open at all times, as Andrew will attest to. Scott closed a door on him as a swarm was on his ass which of course resulted in death for poor Andrew. This is, of course, after I repeatedly said "Keep the doors open!"
    On the rooftop, yes. Every other spot, close the damned doors behind your ass. :)
  • I just love when the horde pile up on a closed door at the top of stairs and then just fly down on top of you. "GET THEM OFF ME!" Rise. Wipe. Repeat.
  • Pretty fun game, just gotta remind myself not to shoot the witches...It's hard not to kill zombies...
  • Pretty fun game, just gotta remind myself not to shoot the witches...It's hard not to kill zombies...
    Wasn't getting insta-knocked-down once enough to teach you that?

On another note, anyone has any idea what the hell the 51st Achievement is exactly? The Outbreak one.