This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Milling whole wheat kernels. Wheat is a tough motherfucker.
  • I have a sinus infection. I missed my friend's show (its final night!) that I promised to be at because it feels like my skull is exploding.
  • A co-worker brought in her eighteen year old daughter to help clean out our file room.
    Fail 1: The daughter is rude, obnoxious and kicks boxes around rather than pick them up to move them.
    Fail 2: My co-worker is being verbally abusive toward her daughter.
    She should try physical abuse. Far more effective.
    He must be right, he is a teacher after all.
  • edited July 2010
    A co-worker brought in her eighteen year old daughter to help clean out our file room.
    Fail 1: The daughter is rude, obnoxious and kicks boxes around rather than pick them up to move them.
    Fail 2: My co-worker is being verbally abusive toward her daughter.
    She should try physical abuse. Far more effective.
    He must be right, he is a teacher after all.
    He was my program director for my master's degree.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Test drove the car I've been mentally lusting over for the past month, the Subaru WRX STi. I walked into this dealership ready to trade in my car and buy this one. However, it was completely and utterly boring. I'm not sure how 300 hp can be boring, but it was. Same thing with the suspension and steering. The car was sharply setup and very responsive to steering inputs, but felt almost completely numb. The engine was bad too. They fitted an enormous turbo for reasons I don't understand, so below 4000 rpms it had almost no performance. And when it did finally come on boost it didn't feel that fast. I'm so disappointed.
  • edited July 2010
    George, have you test driven the Volkswagen GTI Mk6? I have a friend who owns one and its quite the little bomber. If you chip it and put on larger sway bars it becomes an absolute monster. Handles like a go-cart and the engine revs nicely. The GTI only has 208HP (before chipping), but I felt it was a nice ride nonetheless. Plus, the hatch gives you all that room for luggage while you cannonball run to cons.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Test drove the car I've been mentally lusting over for the past month, the Subaru WRX STi. I walked into this dealership ready to trade in my car and buy this one. However, it was completely and utterly boring. I'm not sure how 300 hp can be boring, but it was. Same thing with the suspension and steering. The car was sharply setup and very responsive to steering inputs, but felt almost completely numb. The engine was bad too. They fitted an enormous turbo for reasons I don't understand, so below 4000 rpms it had almost no performance. And when it did finally come on boost it didn't feel that fast. I'm so disappointed.
    Well, the Impreza was never meant to be a quarter mile car and that's what you seem to be looking for.
  • edited July 2010
    George, have you test driven the Volkswagen GTI Mk6? I have a friend who owns one and its quite the little bomber. If you chip it and put on larger sway bars it becomes an absolute monster. Handles like a go-cart and the engine revs nicely. The GTI only has 208HP (before chipping), but I felt it was a nice ride nonetheless. Plus, the hatch gives you all that room for luggage while you cannonball run to cons.
    Yeah, I'll be taking a look at that in a while. But I'm looking for a car that's good stock, I don't much feel like modding cars anymore.
    Well, the Impreza was never meant to be a quarter mile car and that's what you seem to be looking for.
    I'm not sure how you draw that conclusion. I have no interest in a quarter mile machine and the subaru is quite good at it. The STi is technically brilliant, it just feels boring.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Yeah, I'll be taking a look at that in a while. But I'm looking for a car that's good stock, I don't much feel like modding cars anymore.
    His was stock when we took a spin in it, and it was still a blast; the modding just enhances the ride. That's the car I'm going to trade up to.
  • Yeah, I'll be taking a look at that in a while. But I'm looking for a car that's good stock, I don't much feel like modding cars anymore.
    Dunno, to call it boring I guessed you wanted something with a bit more "Umph" on the low RPMS.
  • Dunno, to call it boring I guessed you wanted something with a bit more "Umph" on the low RPMS.
    No, I call it boring because that chassis is numb and uninvolving. Also it's slower than my current SAAB from second gear on. My saab is pushing nearly 10 years and 155,000 miles. I don't know why the STi was so slow, maybe it was the fact that is was 90 degrees and humid. But it's like that half the year here, and if it only produces 305 hp only during ideal conditions then I'm disappointed.
  • Just had my first beer tonite (Coors Light)...it tasted like SHIT! How do you people drink this stuff?!
  • Just had my first beer tonite (Coors Light)...it tasted like SHIT! How do you people drink this stuff?!
    Cue Pete.
  • Coors Light
    There's your problem. Ask for suggestions as what you should actually try if you want to like it and not get drunk. I personally am fond of stouts (Rogue, Guinness) and IPAs (Dogfish head).
    Coors Lite is not beer. It's pisswater.

Do you drink anything else? Wine? Liquor? Mixed drinks? Name some things that you like, and I'll tell you what beers to drink.
  • Dogfish head
    There's a six-month old bottle of Olde School Barleywine chilling in my fridge. I'd crack it right now, but I'm super sick. There are also two more quietly aging in a dark corner of my countertop.

Geo needs a big bomber of DT. It'll do him right.
  • Ima get me some once I've got that whole "old enough to buy alcohol" thing down in 2 weeks.
  • Coors Lite is not beer. It's pisswater.
    It's also the sort of beer that America is famous for outside the US, to the general population - Miller lite, Coors lite, and Budweiser.
    I know other people can suggest things, but I have a best friend who simply doesn't like any alcohol drinks. Period. Some people are just like that, so don't be worried if you feel you might be that way. I also agree that Coors Light is pretty low on the scale of good beers, but it's something you just have to get used to if you really want to drink that kind of stuff. It took me a good six months or so of drinking beers to really start to like it.
  • It's also the sort of beer that America is famous for outside the US, to the general population - Miller lite, Coors lite, and Budweiser.
    Well, that's basically the only beer we made (and exported) until the late 80's. They still have 90%+ of the US market share. Prohibition annihilated the US brewing industry. It affected global brewing too - we're a pretty big market, so manufacturers geared up to support us - but thankfully most European brewing traditions remained intact.
  • Well, that's basically the only beer we made (and exported) until the late 80's. They still have 90%+ of the US market share. Prohibition annihilated the US brewing industry. It affected global brewing too - we're a pretty big market, so manufacturers geared up to support us - but thankfully most European brewing traditions remained intact.
    True that - happily, it takes more than one little American prohibition to erase a few hundred, if not a few thousand years of history and tradition.
  • I'm hungover after being drunk two nights in a row. Normally I practice moderation, but this time I moderated the moderation.
  • I'm hungover after being drunk two nights in a row. Normally I practice moderation, but this time I moderated the moderation.
    Water and headache medicine of your choice for the headache and a nice hearty breakfast or some other fatty food for your upset stomach.
  • Bacon is the answer. (Bacon is always the answer.)
  • (Bacon is always the answer.)
  • I wasted an entire day yesterday playing a video game. I've never wasted a day so completely unless I was sick.
  • I wasted an entire day yesterday playing a video game. I've never wasted a day so completely unless I was sick.
    Wadams must be so proud of you. ^_^
    It's called alcohol. Not many people drink it for the taste.
    It's called alcohol. Not many people drink it for the taste.
    That's much more along the line of moonshine/grappa/whatever your local rotgut is. Beer can be and is quite tasty, just not that stuff.
  • That's much more along the line of moonshine/grappa/whatever your local rotgut is. Beer can be and is quite tasty, just not that stuff.
    Yes, but what he meant was people drink Coors light for it's alcoholic qualities and nothing more.