This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Aren't you 20. Just say "No, I am not cutting my hair."
    This attack is very vulnerable to the "No you are not living in my house" counterattack.
    My parents have said they'll take my money if I don't get another job, which is a fair enough punishment. However, the employment agency I'm associated with is searching for another job as we speak.
    Sign up with multiple temp agencies, and don't expect any to lead to permanent positions. Speaking from experience.
  • Sign up with multiple temp agencies, and don't expect any to lead to permanent positions. Speaking from experience.
    Agreed - When was too hard up for cash, and I'd not quite got my hustle down, I'd do exactly that. Sign up with multiple hospitality agencies (same thing as a temp agency, but for bars and events) and just do every single job and event the offered me that I could.

Shit, I still do that on occasion, I'm doing it right now, though to a lesser degree.
  • Also, don't be too proud to use guilt. Back in '07, when I was working for sharper Image, the only reason I got that job was probably because I told the manager that I was trying to get a job so I could afford to buy my 2 year old brother Christmas presents.
  • Also, don't be too proud to use guilt. Back in '07, when I was working for sharper Image, the only reason I got that job was probably because I told the manager that I was trying to get a job so I could afford to buy my 2 year old brother Christmas presents.
    To be fair, He's an adorable little dude.
    To be fair, He's an adorable little dude.
    Oh, yeah, totally.
  • My dinner failed miserably. Fuck.

I'm probably going to make a package of pork ramen and dump some scallions and bacon up in there.
  • It looks as though my sink backed up while I was out for the weekend. Doesn't look like it overflowed so I seem to have gotten lucky.
  • Looks like I'm about to have my main hard drive fail for the third time this year.
  • Looks like I'm about to have my main hard drive fail for the third time this year.
    Are you buying used drives or what?

Repeated failures indicate an environmental problem. Smokers in the house, extreme dust problems, other particulate pollution, substantial temperature fluctuations, malware, etc... Can you pinpoint the cause?
  • edited August 2010
    EVERYONE DON'T PANIC!! DON'T PANIC!!

May have just been a dodgy CD locking up the Drive I/O.

The other two drives failed pretty quickly, the second was pretty much DOA so I'm not sure if it really counts.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Fail: Got a call from Portfolio recovery today about a Mastercard from HSBC (a company I had a Mastercard/debit card with from 1998-2003) for 721 dollars from 2006... They of course had my wrong birthday (about 5 years and a month off)...
  • Fail #1: I had a terrible night's sleep. I feel asleep at 5am and then overslept, waking up at 11.
    Fail #2: Turns out the realty company leasing my apartment wanted their checklist in a week, not 10 days. It's not that big of a deal, since there's no damage to anything that could have been done by human hands (the only notable mark is a floor-to-ceiling crack in one of my bedroom walls), I just don't want to give them a reason to hold onto my deposit.
    Fail #3: I sent for old AP scores, but chances are they haven't been processed yet. Which means that from 6-9 tonight, I'll be sitting a proficiency exam for Intro to Organismal and Evolutionary biology, a topic I know too well to spend another three hours of my life on.

It isn't even noon, and today blows.
  • The county of Fairfax is demanding I pay $100 to continue parking my car that is valued at $4500 in their county.
  • After work I went to a tactical/military supply store to order some spiffy badge holders for PAX. When I was being helped, there was a man and a woman behind the counter and two other customers there.

As I was completing my order, the two gentlemen (one asian, one white) where talking to the man behind the counter and saying the following:

Asian guy: I can't believe Obama is a Muslim. It's ridiculous. He's the cause of all these problems. I know I shouldn't be saying this because he's my commander in chief.
    Counter guy: Well he's no longer my commander. That's why I got out. It's a shame that they are letting them build that Muslim church right next to Ground Zero.
    Asian guy: Yeah, this is a Christian nation. Obama is a disgrace. I couldn't believe it when he met with Japanese people he was bowing to them.

It took ever bit of restraint to just continue with my purchase and not say anything. It was against every fiber in my being to hold back. I wanted to say something. I really did, but I felt it wasn't worth it. I didn't think I could talk reasonably with these people.

During my commute all these rebuttals kept popping into my mind on refuting all their claims. I kept thinking on what I would have said if I did say anything and how I would reply to their counter arguments.

I then went to the grocery store and at the check out I see in huge bold letter on a tabloid "OBAMA IS A MUSLIM" with an image of him in a white turban.

I'm filled with disgust now. Now, I wish I would have said something to those guys at the store.
  • I'm filled with disgust now. Now, I wish I would have said something to those guys at the store.
    I wish there was something comforting I could say, but... statistically speaking, repeating lies over and over works. It really does.
  • After work I went to a tactical/military supply store to order some spiffy badge holders for PAX. When I was being helped, there was a man and a woman behind the counter and two other customers there.

As I was completing my order, the two gentlemen (one asian, one white) where talking to the man behind the counter and saying the following:

Asian guy: I can't believe Obama is a Muslim. It's ridiculous. He's the cause of all these problems. I know I shouldn't be saying this because he's my commander in chief.
    Counter guy: Well he's no longer my commander. That's why I got out. It's a shame that they are letting them build that Muslim church right next to Ground Zero.
    Asian guy: Yeah, this is a Christian nation. Obama is a disgrace. I couldn't believe it when he met with Japanese people he was bowing to them.

It took ever bit of restraint to just continue with my purchase and not say anything. It was against every fiber in my being to hold back. I wanted to say something. I really did, but I felt it wasn't worth it. I didn't think I could talk reasonably with these people.

During my commute all these rebuttals kept popping into my mind on refuting all their claims. I kept thinking on what I would have said if I did say anything and how I would reply to their counter arguments.

I then went to the grocery store and at the check out I see in huge bold letter on a tabloid "OBAMA IS A MUSLIM" with an image of him in a white turban.

I'm filled with disgust now. Now, I wish I would have said something to those guys at the store.
    Yeeeeeaaaah.....You might not want to talk to my dad about Obama then...
  • @Ro - I would have left. I couldn't patronize a shop knowing an employee thought that way.
  • Yeeeeeaaaah.....You might not want to talk to my dad about Obama then...
    Or mine. Or my mom, or basically anyone in my immediate family.
  • edited August 2010
    Fail #1: I had a terrible night's sleep. I feel asleep at 5am and then overslept, waking up at 11.
    Fail #2: Turns out the realty company leasing my apartment wanted their checklist in a week, not 10 days. It's not that big of a deal, since there's no damage to anything that could have been done by human hands (the only notable mark is a floor-to-ceiling crack in one of my bedroom walls), I just don't want to give them a reason to hold onto my deposit.
    Fail #3: I sent for old AP scores, but chances are they haven't been processed yet. Which means that from 6-9 tonight, I'll be sitting a proficiency exam for Intro to Organismal and Evolutionary biology, a topic I know too well to spend another three hours of my life on.

It isn't even noon, and today blows.
    Fail #4: They still haven't fixed my internet. It will cost me $40-$80 per week to switch to Comcast (and then I face Sandvining). Which means I can choose between that, or having a car parked nearby.

FUCK THIS FUCKING NOISE AND FUCK THIS PLANET.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I recently lamented that a telephone cable near my house got struck by lightning and the internet connection sucked. Well, it was finally fixed, but for that reason I was without internet for the past 4 days or so.
  • I live in Phoenix, and my home's air conditioner is broken.
  • edited August 2010
    IT IS ALL TRUE OMG!111
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • edited August 2010
    Arggh, massive work fail, the drainage from the roof runs down a pipe right next to my desk at work. Today is the day that the roof is being cleaned as leaves and mud have blocked up the drainage system. The water jet hose was brought in to pump high pressure water down the pipe to clear the crap that had blocked it. However the pipe is only rated for low pressure run off grey water. Suffice it to say, the pipe burst and I got soaked. With grey water. It is not nice.
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • Good excuse to say, "screw this, I'm going home."
  • The North East really needs to enact California style smog controls.
    I've love for them to ban non-hybrid/electric noncommercial vehicles from Manhattan.
  • I've love for them to ban non-hybrid/electric noncommercial vehicles from Manhattan.
    I would not love this because I wouldn't be able to drive to Manhattan despite having an extremely clean burning 4 cylinder. The problem is not cars (California has a fuck ton of cars), but rather poorly maintained cars and looser emissions requirements (Cali has stricter emissions).
  • The problem is not cars (California has a fuck ton of cars), but rather poorly maintained cars and looser emissions requirements (Cali has stricter emissions).
    I primarily want to reduce the total traffic and localized pollution. Ideally non noncommercial gas-powered vehicles would be allowed at all, and many roads could be converted into pedestrian plazas like Broadway was. Couple this with a big parking lot in Jersey and dedicated rail from there to midtown, and the city would be a thousand times nicer.
  • edited August 2010
    the city would be a thousand times nicer.
    ...for you.

Anyway, I think what pisses me off most about this is they keep talking about CO2 emissions and climate change. CO2 does not hurt people (don't be pedantic, you know what I mean). We have real and serious pollution problems we need to address before we should even think about CO2.
    Ideally non noncommercial gas-powered vehicles would be allowed at all,
    Also, I don't know what you're trying to say with this. Clarify.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • The problem is not cars (California has a fuck ton of cars), but rather poorly maintained cars and looser emissions requirements (Cali has stricter emissions).
    I primarily want to reduce the total traffic and localized pollution. Ideally non noncommercial gas-powered vehicles would be allowed at all, and many roads could be converted into pedestrian plazas like Broadway was. Couple this with a big parking lot in Jersey and dedicated rail from there to midtown, and the city would be a thousand times nicer.
    So only people with enough money would have the right to drive around Manhattan?