This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• I may have to cut off an acquaintance who I was once good friends with because he has apparently taken a train one or two stops short of christian crazy town and has made some significant anti-gay remarks on Facebook.
  • edited October 2010
    I may have to cut off an acquaintance who I was once good friends with because he has apparently taken a train one or two stops short of christian crazy town and has made some significant anti-gay remarks on Facebook.
    Show them the OKCupid article. If they react like a normal person, and maybe change their views, friendship saved. If they respond about it being part of the gay agenda, they're too far gone to save. :(
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I may have to cut off an acquaintance who I was once good friends with because he has apparently taken a train one or two stops short of christian crazy town and has made some significant anti-gay remarks on Facebook.
    Show them theOKCupid article. If they react like a normal person, and maybe change their views, friendship saved. If they respond about it being part of the gay agenda, they're too far gone to save. :(
    Posted that to my profile a few minutes ago and before I saw your post here. :D
  • Changing an illogical view with logic will take time.
  • Changing an illogical view with logic will take time.
    It takes longer if you have to teach them logic.
  • I can't play Left 4 Dead (either of them) because of my shitty graphics card and Google Chrome is making it so that I can't use the HTML buttons on the forum. I can click on them, but they don't add anything to the posts.
  • Google Chrome is making it so that I can't use the HTML buttons on the forum.
    They work for me
  • I can't play Left 4 Dead (either of them) because of my shitty graphics card and Google Chrome is making it so that I can't use the HTML buttons on the forum. I can click on them, but they don't add anything to the posts.
    What videocard do you have? My shitty gforce 7300le runs both of them alright. And I use chrome on my netbook and haven't had any issues with the forum buttons. Have you tried reinstalling?
  • What videocard do you have?
    GMA X3100 in my MacBook.
    Have you tried reinstalling?
    I'll try that.
  • MacBook
    Well there's your problem right there!
  • Yeah, I don't see how Chrome would be responsible.
    GMA X3100 means you're screwed for anything even the slightest bit graphically demanding, though.
  • I got to work unclogging and cleaning the bathroom sink. However, the prodigious amount of Liquid Plumber in there seems to be doing fuck all.
  • I got to work unclogging and cleaning the bathroom sink. However, the prodigious amount of Liquid Plumber in there seems to be doing fuck all.
    Use a snake.
  • Fucking hardware store is closed. Fucking 10 more dollars out of my fucking pocket.
  • Fucking hardware store is closed. Fucking 10 more dollars out of my fucking pocket.
    I forget. Do you live in the dorms or apt? Call maintenance?
  • Apartment. I'll probably call maintenance tomorrow.
  • The friend/acquaintance who was arguing against gay marraige because homosexuality is 'unhealthy' has also defended the tea-party. Alas, poor Sam. I knew thee well.
  • The friend/acquaintance who was arguing against gay marraige because homosexuality is 'unhealthy' has also defended the tea-party. Alas, poor Sam. I knew thee well.
    I read parts of that conversation. When he made the analogy between gays and yeast cells that don't reproduce as being "defective", he's was officially a fucking douche.
  • When he made the analogy between gays and yeast cells that don't reproduce as being "defective", he's was officially a fucking douche.
    Whenever I hear that argument, I always think "What about infertile straight couples? Or straight couples that just don't want kids?"
    I read parts of that conversation. When he made the analogy between gays and yeast cells that don't reproduce as being "defective", he's was officially a fucking douche.
    I actually thought the argument that homosexuals shouldn't get the legal benefits of marriage because they aren't benefiting society to be the first logical argument I've heard against gay marriage. I mean think about why the gov't gives those benefits in the first place. They're subsidizing your life a little to encourage the production of future tax payers and laborers.

However, as nice as this argument is, it doesn't account for adoption and thus falls apart pretty readily in my opinion.
    I've spared with Sam a bunch of time, I've always found it odd to be Catholic and Libertarian... Either way at least he argues in a way that is not insulting (I.E. he is being courteous) Never right off someone who is at least willing to have a dispassionate disagreement with you even if they are dead wrong. People like that are able to be reached.
  • edited October 2010
    The friend/acquaintance who was arguing against gay marraige because homosexuality is 'unhealthy' has also defended the tea-party. Alas, poor Sam. I knew thee well.
    I've spared with Sam a bunch of time, I've always found it odd to be Catholic and Libertarian... Either way at least he argues in a way that is not insulting (I.E. he is being courteous) Never right off someone who is at least willing to have a dispassionate disagreement with you even if they are dead wrong. People like that are able to be reached.
    Sam's gone a bit too far. He's citing things like the "European Demographic Crisis", which a short google search turns out is a giant sack of ultra-conservative right wing batshit crazy, and claiming that the tea-party is okay. The worst was his suggestions that black-on-white racism is rampant, and that there are Latino reconquistadors looking to take a piece of the states.
    Sam has officially taken the train past crazy-town into holy-fucking-shit-I-can't-believe-a-friend-of-mine-is-spewing-this-insane-filth-metropolis. This is likely the last conversation I'll ever have with him.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • BURN THE HERETIC!!!
    or just defriend him.
  • holy-fucking-shit-I-can't-believe-a-friend-of-mine-is-spewing-this-insane-filth-metropolis
    Beckville?
  • BURN THE HERETIC!!!
    or just defriend him.
    Sadly, yes. Defriending is imminent. It's very sad because I helped him through some shit back in college while we were roommates, and he NEVER had any of these tendencies or ideas. He was a cool guy, religion was never a sticking point, he was intelligent. I don't understand how a guy with a doctorate in biology can accept so many OBVIOUSLY BATSHIT CRAZY ideas when they have absolutely NO evidence for them. Sam may very well be our group's tragic villain if he ever did something like run for office.
  • I don't understand how a guy with a doctorate in biology can accept so many OBVIOUSLY BATSHIT CRAZY ideas when they have absolutely NO evidence for them.
    Just because someone is a scientist doesn't mean they're totally rational.
  • Just because someone is a scientist doesn't mean they're totally rational.
    My mom is an awesome chemist, but was really offended when my brother and I choose not to believe in god anymore. She is also a big practitioner of the "do what I say because I say so" doctrine.
  • Sadly, yes. Defriending is imminent. It's very sad because I helped him through some shit back in college while we were roommates, and he NEVER had any of these tendencies or ideas. He was a cool guy, religion was never a sticking point, he was intelligent. I don't understand how a guy with a doctorate in biology can accept so many OBVIOUSLY BATSHIT CRAZY ideas when they have absolutely NO evidence for them. Sam may very well be our group's tragic villain if he ever did something like run for office.
    See I don't know, Sam always appeared to be at least logical (not saying that his logic wasn't flawed) and intelligent. So usually these two combined means it is good to keep him on your list. Overtime your posts and insightful comments could help change his opinion, he doesn't seem like he is beyond hope. I had A LOT of high school friends go down the Neo-Nazi route/born again christian route and they all came out of it to be pretty darn liberal. Unless he actually starts harassing you it's better to keep at least a subtle influence over him.
  • edited October 2010
    there are Latino reconquistadors looking to take a piece of the states.
    FUCK! They're onto us!
    European Demographic Crisis
    Isn't that the whole thing about how "all of Europe is turning to Islam!" and "All the birthrates are decline while the death rates are rising! It's the Japan of the West!"

...I have a few ultra-hardline Catholic family members who buy into that bullshit.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on