This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Sadly, yes. Defriending is imminent. It's very sad because I helped him through some shit back in college while we were roommates, and he NEVER had any of these tendencies or ideas. He was a cool guy, religion was never a sticking point, he was intelligent. I don't understand how a guy with a doctorate in biology can accept so many OBVIOUSLY BATSHIT CRAZY ideas when they have absolutely NO evidence for them. Sam may very well be our group's tragic villain if he ever did something like run for office.
    See I don't know, Sam always appeared to be at least logical (not saying that his logic wasn't flawed) and intelligent. So usually these two combined means it is good to keep him on your list. Overtime your posts and insightful comments could help change his opinion, he doesn't seem like he is beyond hope. I had A LOT of high school friends go down the Neo-Nazi route/born again christian route and they all came out of it to be pretty darn liberal. Unless he actually starts harassing you it's better to keep at least a subtle influence over him.
    Just because someone couches their bigotry and ignorance in four syllable words does not make what they are saying any better or any worse than those that use slurs. The vocabulary doesn't improve or excuse the message.
    My Mom and I are from the South and we refer to people similar to Sam as "white suits" they weren't members of the KKK and they never overtly stated their bigoted/good-ol'-boy mentality, but they couched it in soothing, cooing, eloquent, and intelligent speech. These "white suits" would then successfully insinuate themselves to positions of power and over time institute horrible and harmful changes in their work place policy or in government policy.
    A bigot is a bigot and no line of pseudo-rational speech changes or covers that fact.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I really feel like raising hell at my apartment complex, just because they keep screwing me over from re-signing my lease.

I think there may be only one last place for me to find an apartment at the complex, which is the best complex in the JMU Community. But they know that I contacted the police about what happened to me and how I prevented their building from blowing up. But with the two groups of people I've tried moving into, they want to set up an appointment with me so that I can move in. But the apartment complex keeps pulling the rug out from under us, by adding Tenants into the empty rooms without meeting them, no questions. And it would be more understandable in the summer, but this is in the middle of the fall semester.

This is just some bullshit. I'm really going to force them to reserve me a spot at the last apartments, so they don't pull out the rug from under me again. This is just retarded, they should give me some leverage considering what could of happened.
  • A bigot is a bigot and no line of pseudo-rational speech changes or covers that fact.
    This is exactly why I hate politically-correctness. You're still treating people differently based on race or gender or whatever... you're just trying to use "inoffensive" terminology. It doesn't matter what words you use... it's the sentiment behind them.
  • 4 days to learn 8 lectures of orgo material.

FUCK. MY. LIFE.
  • edited October 2010
    Heh. I guess it sucks when there's a lot to memorize.
    I've often learnt many more engineering / maths lectures worth of material in shorter periods of time (e.g. 1 day), but there's typically little memorization, so it's mostly just a matter of understanding core concepts.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • There's actually not a whole lot of memorization, and Thursday's exam is open note. The issue is that I'm under a time crunch, and there's not a whole lot of time to "digest" the material and get a really deep understanding of it. Working day and night, I'll pull it off. It'll be hard, though.
  • Working day and night, you'll burn out.
  • Pssh. I know burnout, and 4 days won't do it. I spent the past two weeks doing day and night studying. I only burned out this past Thursday night; chilling out at home this weekend has me nice and loose for a short Round 2.
  • edited October 2010
    Heh, I've never done hardcore study for any longer than three days or so.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Yeah. I don't really "get" that kind of studying.
  • Heh, I've never done hardcore study for any longer than three days or so.
    All of my midterms fell one right after another. Usually, this doesn't happen; I'm almost entirely spent as a result of the constant work.

The lab reports that are due on top of all of this aren't helping matters, either.
  • I usually never study. I just pay attention in class and things just seem to work themselves out. Of course, this is all much to my sister's chagrin, who has to study her ass off to get a B for some reason. Poor thing.
  • Just because someone couches their bigotry and ignorance in four syllable words does not make what they are saying any better or any worse than those that use slurs. The vocabulary doesn't improve or excuse the message.
    My Mom and I are from the South and we refer to people similar to Sam as "white suits" they weren't members of the KKK and they never overtly stated their bigoted/good-ol'-boy mentality, but they couched it in soothing, cooing, eloquent, and intelligent speech. These "white suits" would then successfully insinuate themselves to positions of power and over time institute horrible and harmful changes in their work place policy or in government policy.
    A bigot is a bigot and no line of pseudo-rational speech changes or covers that fact.
    I'm talking about the fact that people with some sort of intelligence are easier to reason with then with people who are completely ignorant or stupid. People who honestly want to search for the truth will occasionally have stupid ideas or come to the wrong conclusion (don't we all) usually over time you can help them arrive to a different conclusion. I'm not saying they shouldn't be challenged. It's just it's easier to challenge them and have a in-depth conversation because they are better able to handle it...

FARTBAMA! LOL! STUPID LIBS.
  • Ugh. Stupid people on the Internet. I mentioned my back hurting, and was told to go to a Chiropractor. After carefully and politely explaining why it doesn't work, I was hit with the ARGUMENT FROM ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE. So I let loose with a barrage of 84 studies and blew a crater the size of a small moon in my opponent's argument. I doubt they'll be convinced in the slightest.
  • I want to see this counter argument of yours.
  • I'm not sure if you can see this, since it's Facebook shit, but it's here.
  • Haha, well done! I want to comment on it, but I feel that anything I could say has already been said.
  • edited October 2010
    My grandfather only has a few days to a month to live.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • My grandfather only has a few days to a month to live.
    /_____\ That's so sad...
  • Ehhhh? I'm so sorry, Kate. I hope his life has been full of love and splendor thus far.
  • Funny, mildly related. Out with my new girlfriend. I talked about getting together with an acupuncturist, and said it was weird, because her entire career was based around acupuncture, which is pure bullshit.

Girlfriend: "My father is an acupuncturist."

Me: "Um... right."

Which actually lead to a fun conversation. Turns out her father stopped practicing acupuncture and homeopathy and became a general practitioner because "He worked out it didn't work very well."
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2010
    I usually never study. I just pay attention in class and things just seem to work themselves out. Of course, this is all much to my sister's chagrin, who has to study her ass off to get a B for some reason. Poor thing.
    I guess both your sister and I are the same in that way then...sadly.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • My chem lab has no textbook. This means I have to figure out how to read NMR spectrums and predict molecular structures based solely on sparse Powerpoints and 2 lab manuals.

Fuck chemistry at U of I. Seriously, the president of this school gets $670k a year and our chemistry program gets utterly fucked. Makes a whole lot of sense.
  • I usually never study. I just pay attention in class and things just seem to work themselves out. Of course, this is all much to my sister's chagrin, who has to study her ass off to get a B for some reason. Poor thing.
    M-me too. T_T
  • I have recently had to admit that I am completely dairy intolerant. I still love cheese but we just can't be together. :(

Anyway, no matter how conscientious I am, I can't seem to avoid accidentally getting a little dairy now and then, and a little is all it takes to make me feel awful. A few days ago there was whey in my supposedly safe smoothie, and today there was milk in a chocolate bar that I thought was safe. Urgh. Now I feel tired, bloated, and stupid.

I hate getting old.
  • Turns out her father stopped practicing acupuncture and homeopathy and became a general practitioner because "He worked out it didn't work very well."
    This is the Fail thread, young man. That is a Win.
    M-me too. T_T
    Also my grade is usually down because (like you might have noticed when I stayed with you), I am scatterbrained to the point where I could hurt myself; I forget everything including homework assignments. That's partly why I didn't get as high grades as I could have during high school.
  • I cannot think of a time when I've HAD to study. I usually remember enough from the lectures and my own notes to pass pretty much any test.
  • Yeah, I don't think I've ever done serious review...Granted, this has resulted in me not doing well on a few math tests...But most everything else I've at least passed.