This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• "Stan Lee's Superhumans"
    I didn't even consider the possibility that people might take that show even a little bit seriously.
  • "Stan Lee's Superhumans"
    I didn't even consider the possibility that people might take that show even a little bit seriously.
    THEY DO. AND THEY CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY SHOULDN'T.
  • I suppose it's a talent if you can endure that kinda thing but the human body can be remarkably adaptable. Don't get why they'd be marked as super human though; I suppose "Human Outliers" wouldn't be as much of a draw.
  • I got into NYC to see Back to the Future and I was so excited. I spent over 60 bucks to get here (40 bucks for two tickets to get to Grand Central and back, 15 bucks for dinner, and 5 bucks for a few subway rides)...and then I got there and found it was sold out. Fuck. My. Life.
    Oh well. We didn't go either.
    Look on the bright side, you got to spend a cool evening in NYC.
  • I got into NYC to see Back to the Future and I was so excited. I spent over 60 bucks to get here (40 bucks for two tickets to get to Grand Central and back, 15 bucks for dinner, and 5 bucks for a few subway rides)...and then I got there and found it was sold out. Fuck. My. Life.
    Did the theater not have tickets available online for purchase before you decided to go? If you're going to travel a long distance to watch a movie, preordering your tickets is probably a safe bet.
    Did the theater not have tickets available online for purchase before you decided togo? If you're going to travel a long distance to watch a movie, preordering your tickets is probably a safe bet.
    That's the weird thing. They didn't have them available for pre-order online. I presume that this is so because there was only one showing...which shows the weakness of the theater itself.
  • RymRym
    edited October 2010
    I presume that this is so because there was only one showing...which shows the weakness of the theater itself.
    This is a problem in New York. In general, very popular restaurants and other venues that aren't very high-class (catering to the well-heeled) often refuse outright to accept reservations. They'll fill no matter what, so why bother? Any reservation means the possibility of a table or seat being open, when it could trivially be filled from the walk-ins instantly.

Game theory says regularly popular localized things shouldn't accept pre-orders or reservations.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I like Momofuku's way of doing things: Only one set of diners at any given moment. Reservations can only be made up to two weeks in advance on the internet.

David Chang is the man.
  • Got turned into a Zombie in Humans VS. Zombies.
  • Got turned into a Zombie in Humans VS. Zombies.
    O.O *Shoots Ninjarabbi*

A zombie knowing Jew-Fu.
  • RymRym
    edited October 2010
    The New York State government seems to have no concept of how their own tax code actually works. When the people in charge of answering questions about it advise you to consult a lawyer due to the fact that they don't understand it well enough to help you, there is a problem.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Grrrr! Why are they so incompetent?
  • Grrrr! Why are they so incompetent?
    Because no one with the power to change anything cares, and probably no one in the legislature understands how taxes work enough to make an informed decision anyway.
  • Because no one with the power to change anything cares,
    Once you're on the top of the pile, you're disinclined to shift things around less you risk fall back down.

But seriously. More people flunk the CPA exam then the BAR exam. Do you have access to an accountant?
  • Can't you go through an online vendor like TopatoCo?
    Pretty sure he'd still have to report earnings.
  • Because no one with the power to change anything cares, and probably no one in the legislature understands how taxes work enough to make an informed decision anyway.
    Dern right they don't care. I'm surprised you can even get in touch with a department anywhere. By phone no less?

I recently spent a week and a half calling an NYC gov't branch twice a day -- straight to voicemail. After hearing the please leave your message recorded dialogue, it defaulted me to the "Voice mailbox is full." Once I got in touch with them about my case, they told me they couldn't help me by phone and that I should visit the physical location of the department. After waiting 8 hours in a lobby, a caseworker signed a paper and filed it, and I walked out.

Seems like if you want to have a decent job, get set breaks and lunches no matter how busy you are, and not really do anything of value, work for a sideline government agency.

It's sheer, systemic incompetence.
  • et set breaks and lunches no matter how busy you are
    I'll at least say that most jobs should have that included. Too many companies in the US rely on uncompensated overtime. But, I digress.
  • uncompensated overtime.
    Well said. I guess I'm somehow trying to underscore that they don't seem to care. As frustrating as they are sometimes, I suppose, despite their big fail, the government people deserve their breaks and lunches...
  • uncompensated overtime.
    Well said. I guess I'm somehow trying to underscore that they don't seem to care. As frustrating as they are sometimes, I suppose, despite their big fail, the government people deserve their breaks and lunches...
    I can't accrue overtime. As a "student assistant" I am "barred" from working more than 20 hours a week.
  • As much as I'd love to jump on the rage wagon, I can't fault any worker for taking a break to eat.
    1. As much as I'd love to jump on the rage wagon, I can't fault any worker for taking a break to eat.

Me neither! In fact, I think I'm going to take my lunch break right now.
  • Try the NYC SBA at 212-264-9487, explain slowly and clearly what you want to do. They might be able to help.
  • I called them. They have a branch office in Long Island City where you can go and get a free consultation where they will help you with all the paperwork and tell you what you have to do to get e-commerce up for our type of business. The lady was really nice, and they deal with a lot of situations like ours. Maybe it is worth a shot?
  • I called them. They have a branch office in Long Island City where you can go and get a free consultation where they will help you with all the paperwork and tell you what you have to do to get e-commerce up for our type of business. The lady was really nice, and they deal with a lot of situations like ours. Maybe it is worth a shot?
    The trouble is: are they open weekends? ;^)

I've got a few more phone leads today.
  • As a "student assistant" I am "barred" from working more than 20 hours a week.
    Not to draw this out too far, but I'm gonna because this just gets me. Let's say you pick up another job and work 30 hours a week. That would make 50 hours - still not considered overtime because you'd be working for two entities.

I dealt with this all through college where I worked a college job and a 'real' job, but in the end decided the benefit of having references from a college job and an added financial aid benefit outweighed the time-cost of having to work those two jobs to make ends meet. I ended up being sick constantly from lack of sleep and barely scraped by at both jobs.

I did my internship, unpaid, after I graduated. It turned into the job I have now.

Weren't they working on eradicating unpaid internships? If you can find a paid one that you want, take it. They're rare. I suppose there are just costs in doing what you want no matter what.
  • The trouble is: are they open weekends? ;^)
    I've got a few more phone leads today.
    They are not, but there is a branch in Midtown Manhattan that is open until 5 every day. You could go there when you get out of work, or I could go there at some point. I think I will go there, if you want to leave it to me.
  • edited October 2010
    Can't you go through an online vendor like TopatoCo?
    Funnel the earnings directly into a 501(c)(3) charity and claim it as a charitable write-off.

Either that, or use the loophole Chicago restaurateurs used to sell foie gras. State that with every donation to GeekNights of approximately $15, you get a free t-shirt. Technically, it's not a sale, since the shirt is being given away, and you're just accepting a donation to manage operating costs.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
    Funnel the earnings directly into a 501(c)(3) three and claim it as a charitable write-off.

Either that, or use the loophole Chicago restaurateurs used to sell foie gras. State that with every donation to GeekNights of approximately $15, you get a free t-shirt. Technically, it's not a sale, since the shirt is being given away, and you're just accepting a donation to manage operating costs.
    Did you manage the books for the mafia in a past life or something?