This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Seriously people, there's no need to leave 1/2 of a car length on either side of you when you park.
    Albany didn't tow them straight away? You can't get away with that shit in New York. ^_~
  • My headphones crapped out on me right after I got to work today. I can't afford to replace them until Friday, and thus will be exercising with sound in only one ear until then. Not much of a fail, but it still sucks.
  • Seriously people, there's no need to leave 1/2 of a car length on either side of you when you park.
    Albany didn't tow them straight away? You can't get away with that shit in New York. ^_~
    Our Parking Enforcement unit is like 20 guys. They're pretty hardcore about issuing tickets, and I have seen people get towed before, but I don't know why.
  • edited April 2009
    I'm a fan of the Philadelphia Flyers and on my YouTube I got a few highlights, some of them rather rare, of Flyers hockey. In one of them, some guy started in the comments a rant about how Philadelphia sports fans are "classless". Ok, I can take it. But then he starts some crap about how racist Philadelphia is because they got a statue of Rocky but not a statue of Joe Frazier...
    Yup, a city that is 43% african-american and in which three of the last four mayors, including the incumbent, are african-americans...
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited April 2009
    chaosof99: People on the Internet..
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Spent all yesterday moving. Started at 9 AM, ended at 12:30 AM. Didn't eat dinner. Today, I'm in pain. Lots of pain. I'm getting too old for this shit.

On the positive, I am done moving. Time to arrange the new place!
  • I was sick ALL weekend! I missed Exposure, The part steampunk event at the Crucible and Midnight's weekly! On top of that I missed work and I am still sick! WORST WEEKEND AND MONDAY EVER!
  • The viola player in my band dropped out yesterday minutes before practice. It is okay that he dropped out, he is a busy guy with three kids, but an e-mail 20 minutes before practice? That is just rude.
  • edited April 2009
    I uttered the phrase "Table salt, always useful." in a completely natural situation and missed out on uttering one of the greatest/worst puns in recent history.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Today, it is what we call "too hot for the beach" weather. It's 96 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Viga, I feel you. I've been bedridden with this horrible virus, and today I made it downstairs for the first time in four days. Checking my email, I fell asleep in a mug of tea.
  • "Table salt, always useful." in a completely natural situation and missed out on uttering one of the greatest/worst puns in recent history.
    What's the pun? Am I just oblivious?
  • I'm pretty sure a 13 year old girl has a crush on me. It's cute, but not exactly something to be happy about.
  • edited April 2009
    What's the pun? Am I just oblivious?
    Always useful in a pinch.

I laughed somewhat of a bitter laugh when I realized that my latest ex-girlfriend has become exactly like I used to be, despite that she hated I was ever like that, and that her reason for doing what she did was so that I wouldn't go back to Australia and go back to being like that.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Today, it is what we call "too hot for the beach" weather. It's 96 degrees Fahrenheit.
    You're lucky you're near the beach, we got 101 today. I really like the weather here most of the time...but not fucking all the time.
  • I made chocolate cake from scratch. It tasted okay, but was otherwise a complete fail. cake was about an inch tall after I leveled it, it tasted drier than it should have (it wasn't overcooked; it just tasted that way), and the second layer fell apart as I was trying to get it in position to level it.

Now I'm scrambling for another cake recipe, as I really don't want to have to resort to cake mix.

On the plus side, I made brownies that substitued pureed black beans for eggs/oil, and they turned out to be an epic win. So I guess the day as a whole is a wash.
  • Now I'm scrambling for another cake recipe, as I really don't want to have to resort to cake mix.
    Y'know, I was anti-cake-mix for a while, but then a coworker pointed something out: it's just dry ingredients that have been portioned out for you. That's it. Measuring your own ingredients lets you control each specific ingredient, but really, at the end of the day, a box mix isn't that bad.
  • Now I'm scrambling for another cake recipe, as I really don't want to have to resort to cake mix.
    Y'know, I was anti-cake-mix for a while, but then a coworker pointed something out: it's just dry ingredients that have been portioned out for you. That's it. Measuring your own ingredients lets you control each specific ingredient, but really, at the end of the day, a box mix isn't that bad.
    I have nothing against cake mix. It's just that I already have all the ingredients to make a cake, while a cake mix would cost money and time at the store.
  • Ah, touché.

You said it tasted too dry. Is it possible that you added too much flour and/or cocoa? Or maybe didn't mix quite thoroughly enough?
  • You said it tasted too dry. Is it possible that you added too much flour and/or cocoa? Or maybe didn't mix quite thoroughly enough?
    I mixed it exactly according to the recipe. Now, the recipes from this cookbook have been hit or miss when it comes to quantities of dry ingredients (some come out way too dry, others too wet), but I don't think that's it. The cake itself was moist wihout being gooey, so it looked perfect. It just tasted kind of bitter - like it would if it was overcooked, even though it clearly wassn't. If anything, there might not have been enough sugar. I crumbled it up, since it actually would work really well for cake balls. Adding icing and white chocolate will fix the sweetness problem, and won't be overpowering since the cake itself isn't very sweet.
  • A professional cake decorator on Food Channel once mentioned, when his client complained abut his cake, that home made cake is much dryer than one made from a boxed mix. I don't actually know anything about it making cake myself, but he has been doing it for seven years or so. Take that as you will.
  • edited April 2009
    A professional cake decorator on Food Channel once mentioned, when his client complained abut his cake, that home made cake is much dryer than one made from a boxed mix.
    If anything, I would say that the reason for that is probably that cakes made from scratch usually don't have vegetable oil in the recipe, where as cakes made from a boxed mix do. It comes down to baking time and the temperature of the oven. I've made cakes from scratch that were just as moist and fluffy as cake mix cake. It sounds like that baker might have just been making excuses.

Update: I settled on a yellow cake and used this recipe. I used all-purpose flour instead of cake flour, and used buttermilk instead of regular milk. The cake came out a bit dense, but it's moist and holds together well, and there's enough there to actually decorate.
    Post edited by misakyra on
  • I have a big paper due Friday, and I've been spending the last five minutes laughing my ass off listening to Geeknights with the audio slowed down. Its infantile, but listening to them discuss the deeper aspects of Evangelion really slowly is more entertaining to me than it should be.

Then I remember my paper, and that's where I feel all fail.
  • If anything, I would say that the reason for that is probably that cakes made from scratch usually don't have vegetable oil in the recipe, where as cakes made from a boxed mix do. It comes down to baking time and the temperature of the oven. I've made cakes from scratch that were just as moist and fluffy as cake mix cake. It sounds like that baker might have just been making excuses.
    Cakes in a box also have pudding in the mix.
  • I'm being stitched up for things i didn't do - someone compromised the security of some of my accounts, particularly, my spare e-mail account - and has been messing with me, spreading shit about me, sending me anonymous emails harassing me, so on.

I have my suspicions, but nothing solid, and I'm looking into it, but at the moment, I'm flying blind, and I'm honestly a little scared.
  • I have a big paper due tomorrow.

It's past 11 pm.
  • Code Geass DVDs so locked that DVD Shrink can do one disk but not another. Seriously, Bandai wonders why people won't buy their shit. It's so DRM'd, you'd never be able to back it up.

Anyone got some good, FREE DVD cracking software they can recommend?
  • Try DVD43. It gets rid of the copy protection in the background so your computer just sees an unencrypted DVD.
  • Try DVD43.It gets rid of the copy protection in the background so your computer just sees an unencrypted DVD.
    I'm playing with DVDFab right now, but it sucks. DVD43 sounds nifty.
  • I finally took the plunge and tried to play the fan-translation of Mother 3 only to find that I can't get any GBA emulators to work on my Mac with the patched game! I can't save my game!