This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Specs?
    NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT, Intel Core 2 Quad CPU, and 4 Gigs of RAM. This is not a slow computer, and I keep it maintained; everything else runs perfectly smooth.
    Gunter, the ArmA 2 demo is on Steam. It would be much easier to download and install it with Steam's help.
    Fuck, I could have sworn it wasn't. Silly me.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Damn, then it should really take that long. I ought to try it out, too, given the ruckus about it.
  • Home schooled football league is home schooled:
  • Obviously, it is number 3 if they spelled it wrong. Ouch.
  • Well, they misspelled "Academics" and "Athletics" and capitalized "no" and "exceptions" in the middle of a sentence. I would also contend that their order of priorities is screwed up. The "Be the hammer, not the nail" sign is also pretty bad.
  • Toothpaste in eye and underpants. That is all.
  • edited June 2009
    Home schooled football league is home schooled:
    It's surprising how profoundly frustrating home schooled families can be to me, considering the fact that I've been home schooled for most of my life. Too many people start doing it for the wrong reasons.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited June 2009
    Home schooled football league is home schooled:
    It's surprising how profoundly frustrating home schooled families can be to me, considering the fact that I've been home schooled for most of my life. Too many people start doing it for the wrong reasons.
    Other than terrible public schools or no schools in the area, I can't think of a "good reason" for home schooling. Parents can supplement their child's education if they feel their schools are not covering certain topics in a satisfactory manner without taking a child out of a school and depriving them of normal social development.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Home schooled football league is home schooled:
    Other than terrible public schools or no schools in the area, I can't think of a "good reason" for home schooling. Parents can supplement their child's education if they feel their schools are not covering certain topics in a satisfactory manner without taking a child out of a school and depriving them of normal social development.
    Where I live, most of the home school kids are forced to leave public school because their parents are uber-christian and think the real world is "the devil!"and a bad influence (I live in a place that is heavily influenced by southern baptists). I had some friends that got taken out of middle school, and I felt so sorry for them because they had to leave their friends behind. Sure they could call them up and stuff, but they missed out on all of the awesome (and not-awesome) experiences of school. I pretty much never saw them again until Stalkbook came out and I discovered they were all married. x_x
  • Other than terrible public schools or no schools in the area, I can't think of a "good reason" for home schooling. Parents can supplement their child's education if they feel their schools are not covering certain topics in a satisfactory manner without taking a child out of a school and depriving them of normal social development.
    I've been home schooled all my life and I would hardly say I've been deprived of normal social development. I grew up on a street full of kids my age, I learned Tae Kwon Do for eight years and helped teach it for four, I've been in a band and a chamber orchestra, and I've participated in many a community event and discussion group. I'm just as socially adept as your average public-schooled person, perhaps even more respectful and open-minded than some kid who's only ever been friends with someone of their own age and worldview.
  • edited June 2009
    I've been home schooled all my life and I would hardly say I've been deprived of normal social development. I grew up on a street full of kids my age, I learned Tae Kwon Do for eight years and helped teach it for four, I've been in a band and a chamber orchestra, and I've participated in many a community event and discussion group. I'm just as socially adept as your average public-schooled person, perhaps even more respectful and open-minded than some kid who's only ever been friends with someone of their own age and worldview.
    While it is lovely that you have taken part in multiple activities, you haven't had to work day-in and day-out with your peers (or anyone except your family/tutors). People in public and private schools also take part in community activities, clubs, groups and organizations (allowing them to bond with people of any age), but they also have the added benefit of working with their peers on a daily basis. I doubt that your outlook has much to do with homeschooling and more to do with your family's influence and outlook. If your parents felt they needed to isolate you for 8 hours a day in order to widen your world view and teach your respect, then you either had some highly specialized needs or they were not confident that they could provide you quality parenting and education with the influence of others around. It may be that your area has terrible schools, but if the goal is widening a child's world view, then removing the child from the world and staying within the home seems counterintuitive.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Fair enough. Really, terrible schools is what it comes down to in my area.
  • Where I live, most of the home school kids are forced to leave public school because their parents are uber-christian and think the real world is "the devil!"and a bad influence (I live in a place that is heavily influenced by southern baptists). I had some friends that got taken out of middle school, and I felt so sorry for them because they had to leave their friends behind.
    That happened to me. I was only in home school for two years, 7th-8th grade, but it totally demolished my social skills. I was an insular hermit for most of high school, except with a few friends I'd had before home school. Took me years to become a normal human again.
  • So people who don't have social skills and yet been to public school their whole life, what do you say about that? What would be the problem with them?

I used to defend homeschooling more because in the past I went to a church where everyone was home schooled practically. Even though I was their peer I saw that they had it more together than me and were better at social skills. Plus they had each other and Girl and Boy Scouts and local little leagues. Now in adulthood it just seems that they have a limited world view. Not only that but it seems that outside of church and related events they don't have a life. (Sounds rude but I don't know another way to put it.)
  • This -
    i prefer a REAL coding language. you know, like C++, isnt LISP like all those candy scripting languages? like python and LUA. you know, that people kinda use but not for anything particularly great, or just use it to prototpye what can be made more powerfully in C or even J...
    if you on a mac, i have no respect for you.
    if you are on linux, thats nice. couldnt afford a real operating system?
    if you are on ReactOS, its still in alpha bub, might as well be using windows...
    Sun Microsystems OS. thats nice, i spose...... Read more
    i could continue with alternate OSs, but thats alot more likely to bust the char-cap than 157,000,000...

also, i trust if your using linux, its ubuntu right? its kinda like vista, but even less Commercial, end-user quality software runs on it. and even less games...
    though the whole nerd stigma against windows is fukkin lame.
    successful software developers develop for windows, port to mac if they care enough... IE; MS office: mac edition...
  • This -
    i prefer a REAL coding language. you know, like C++, isnt LISP like all those candy scripting languages? like python and LUA. you know, that people kinda use but not for anything particularly great, or just use it to prototpye what can be made more powerfully in C or even J...
    if you are on ReactOS, its still in alpha bub, might as well be using windows...
    i could continue with alternate OSs, but thats alot more likely to bust the char-cap than 157,000,000...

also, i trust if your using linux, its ubuntu right? its kinda like vista, but even less Commercial, end-user quality software runs on it. and even less games...
    successful software developers develop for windows, port to mac if they care enough... IE; MS office: mac edition...
    Thems fightin words.
  • This -

Thems fightin words.
    Arguing with ignorant, indignant people - the only way to win is not to play, so I didn't.
  • I lost 5 or 6 DVDs when I left the Contemporary. Bummer.
  • My electric bill significantly increased cause I've been lazy about turning off unneeded appliances. :(
  • Today was the first (and last time) I ate at a Fatburger. Fuck that place.
  • I had a girl stay over last night. *wink* This morning we walk outside to find that her car was broken into.
  • edited June 2009
    *wink*
    You little snottyboots!
    That sucks about her car. Man, I didn't know your neighborhood was bad like that.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I had a girl stay over last night. *wink* This morning we walk outside to find that her car was broken into.
    In fucking Delmar?
    In fucking Delmar?
    Yeah. She parked between the hedge and ty's truck. So it's hard to see. They also turned off her dome light and left the door open. At first, she though she left the door open and killed the battery but that was not the case. Battery was fine. Wallet was stolen. I suspect bored punk middle class kids with nothing useful to do are to blame. I will be paying extra close attention to any little fuckers walking through the neightbor hood at night.
    In fucking Delmar?
    Yeah. She parked between the hedge and ty's truck. So it's hard to see. They also turned off her dome light and left the door open. At first, she though she left the door open and killed the battery but that was not the case. Battery was fine. Wallet was stolen. I suspect bored punk middle class kids with nothing useful to do are to blame. I will be paying extra close attention to any little fuckers walking through the neightbor hood at night.
    That's why I always keep my wallet on me.

Man, that sucks.
  • edited June 2009
    I always thought my mom was crazy when she made me put my purse and stuff in the trunk whenever we went somewhere (like Six Flags, where you can't really take it with you).

Then someone I know said she left an old, empty purse in her car, and someone broke in to steal it because it was laying in full view. Since it was empty, nothing was stolen, but she did get a broken window.

Also, some of my friends went to Disney World and put all of their stuff in the trunk. 5 minutes later, not even out of the parking lot yet, one of them realized she forgot something and had to go back. When they got to the car, everything was stolen. Someone close by had been watching them put their stuff in their trunk... That's creepy.
    Post edited by Lyddi on
  • Fail 1: This thread was on Page 2!
    Fail 2: I accidentally made this post in the "Things of the Day" Thread.
    Fail 3: So a local radio station my mother had turned on in the kitchen is running an hour-long run of covers of Michael Jackson songs. That's all fine and dandy. However, then they introduced Fallout Boy (covering "Beat It") as "one of the harder rock bands".
  • Wallet was stolen.
    Why was her wallet even in the car? Why would you EVER have a wallet in a car when you are NOT in that car?
  • UpsideDown Phone
    Now, you can't see it very well, but this lady has been answering her phone upside down for the past few days. It's an absolute riot when she can't hear the other person.
  • Well, I got another fail of the day. Last week I bought the album "Let the Dominoes Fall" by Rancid, a band I admire (and this is not common description for bands I use). However, today I walked into another store and saw of course "Let the Dominoes Fall" special edition with an extra disc with 8 acoustic tracks and a DVD for only about 6€ more than I bought the original album for :/