This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Man, the pill doesn't sound good for you. Have you thought about the Nuvaring?
  • edited May 2012
    Man, the pill doesn't sound good for you. Have you thought about the Nuvaring?
    Quite a lot of insurance policies don't actually cover Nuvaring, Depo, transdermals, or implants. The majority of stuff that's not top-tier HMO or PPO only covers IUDs and the pill, IIRC.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I've had more than one doctor laugh in my face and tell me I'm lying, then proceed to be intentionally rough with me when I tell them I'm a virgin. Apparently a college girl wanting birth control for hormone regulation is unheard of, because I always get treated extremely poorly by doctors.
    And the pills wouldn't be problematic if I were kept on the same thing that had been consistently working. It's the doctors constantly changing it to different generics and telling me that it's "close enough" that's messing me up. There were a few months there that I was on a different generic every month.

And my insurance doesn't cover Nuvaring, I'm pretty certain. I have to be careful with inserted things like that though, because I'm extremely allergic to latex. They aren't SUPPOSED to contain latex, but that doesn't mean I'm not extremely leery (I've learned from awful experience that just because the label doesn't say it has latex in it, doesn't mean it's latex free. "100% cotton" can mean "100% cotton except for the elastic", so I've found out).
  • edited May 2012
    Medical stuff that's non-latex will be entirely non-latex, trust me on this. The non-latex policy at the hospital I work at is so strict that we don't allow anything but Mylar balloons past the front desk. When it comes to actual equipment, no fucking way. Too big a risk. Imagine if a surgeon used accidentally used latex gloves while operating on a patient with a latex allergy. Disaster.
  • I once had a doctor try to give me a cervical cancer vaccine that had latex in the injection, after I told them I was allergic. My skepticism towards doctors might be exaggerated, but I argue it has logical bases.
  • Wow, you have had some revoltingly shitty physicians. File complaints!
  • I once had a doctor try to give me a cervical cancer vaccine that had latex in the injection, after I told them I was allergic. My skepticism towards doctors might be exaggerated, but I argue it has logical bases.
    Sue his/her ass. Doctors have malpractice insurance for a reason.

Sue his/her ass. Doctors have malpractice insurance for a reason.

Today, Casey (my best friend/awesome roommate) looked at me and in all seriousness told me that I need to just sue somebody. She thinks I'm not using my allergy to my benefit enough. I could theoretically sue several different doctors and a good number of household product manufacturers. It's stupid how much in your life has latex in it.

EVERYBODY SUE SOMEBOOODDDDYYY.
  • Or you could just file official complaints with the employers of the shitty doctors and move on to find new ones. It's a good idea to do an interview with a doctor when you start seeing them; just ask a few questions to see if they are a jam-the-patient-into-the-textbook kind of doctor or if they actually listen to the patient and work with individual circumstances.
  • edited May 2012

I'm not one for random litigation. On the contrary, I despise how litigious modern society is, but if a doctor is both ignoring you and knowingly causing harm, or if he/she is just so incompetent that they do so on accident, then you have an ethical duty to sue them in an effort to prevent him/her from doing similar harm to others.

If you happen to be able to make a little cash while doing so... well that's just gravy,

Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • Suing them won't prevent them from doing the same to others. Filing reports with their superiors and giving widespread reviews on medical platforms online will do much more.

Lawsuits are generally handled (and settled) by the insurance. That's why malpractice insurance is so expensive. It's cheaper to settle than to fight a malpractice suit, so even doctors who didn't do anything wrong will have settlements with folks. A settlement of a lawsuit on a doctor's record means almost nothing, and it generally includes a clause that says they don't admit to doing anything wrong.
  • edited May 2012

I'm not one for random litigation. On the contrary, I despise how litigious modern society is, but if a doctor is both ignoring you and knowingly causing harm, or if he/she is just so incompetent that they do so on accident, then you have an ethical duty to sue them in an effort to prevent him/her from doing similar harm to others.

If you happen to be able to make a little cash while doing so... well that's just gravy,

FUCK malpractice suits. I have watched members of my family and friends of my family put through so much bullshit by assholes that thought they could "make a little cash" by subjecting people I care about to entirely frivolous lawsuits that dragged on in courts (sometimes for years) before they got shut out and their claims were recognized as bullshit. Not a single case (of multiple cases) brought against people I know has ever had merit. Were I to be in such a position, you better damn well believe that in the event of a frivolous lawsuit failing, I'd bring the full force of my standing and assets as a physician to bear and countersue the ever-living fuck out of the sorry piece of shit who saw someone dedicated to helping him as his own personal goldmine.

There's a case to be made for suing truly shitty doctors and doctors who operate without due cause or are negligent (in fact, I've met two, and they are repulsive human beings), but your view of malpractice suits is drastically oversimplified for reasons I am too busy to ennumerate right now.

File a complaint and move on. Unless you suffer an actual significant injury or sleight at the hands of a doctor, it is not worth the legal fees or the trouble.
  • Stories about doctors failing make me sadface.
  • EVERYBODY SUE SOMEBOOODDDDYYY.
    Anyone else reminded of the infamous Everyone v Everyone Else case?
  • I was joking about suing people; I don't really want to. That's why I made the joke the way I did, I guess it didn't come across as sarcastic as I meant it through text. Whoops.

I do intend to file complaints, though. Those are constructive. I wouldn't be suing doctors, anyway. I'd be more inclined to sue manufacturers of mislabeled consumer goods.
  • Why do I play the "EVERYBODY SUE SOMEBOOODDDDYYY." in the tune of Everybody Needs Somebody.
  • Somebody's gonna sue somebody, 'fore the night is through. Somebody's gonna sue somebody, ain't nothing we can dooooooo.
  • I was joking about suing people; I don't really want to. That's why I made the joke the way I did, I guess it didn't come across as sarcastic as I meant it through text. Whoops.
    I didn't think you were being serious. If I did, I might be the biggest hypocrite on this side of the internet. I just thought it was funny.
    I didn't think you were being serious. If I did, I might be the biggest hypocrite on this side of the internet. I just thought it was funny.
    Yeah, I was angry at Drunken Butler's generalization, not your joke.

• edited May 2012
    I'll consider myself chastised.
    I was joking about suing people; I don't really want to. That's why I made the joke the way I did, I guess it didn't come across as sarcastic as I meant it through text. Whoops.
    Yeah, I was angry at Drunken Butler's generalization, not your joke.

Pardon my sloppyness of speech. I was just saying that if a doctor has legitimatly caused someone harm then that person should consider filing suit.

Frivilous lawsuits hurt everybody, health care professionals and patients alike, and I appologize if I came across as encouraging them.
    Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • Doing a self portrait really sucks when you sort of hate yourself.
  • Pretty sure I've got a plantar wart on the ball of my right foot. Fuck you, foot.
  • Pretty sure I've got a plantar wart on the ball of my right foot. Fuck you, foot.
    I still have a scar from one I picked up 18 years ago that took two years to kill.
  • This day so far has been me helping everyone with their work and questions, while I get nothing of my own work accomplished.

GREAT TIMES!
    I still have a scar from one I picked up 18 years ago that took two years to kill.
    I've got dry ice and determination. Let's see where that gets me.

• This day so far has been me helping everyone with their work and questions, while I get nothing of my own work accomplished.

GREAT TIMES!
    Aww. That happened to me when I told my boss at my last job that I was leaving. Had to teach interns (yeah, I know) to do everything and couldn't get anything done myself. Don't you love it when you've just sit down and someone comes over: "Heeeeeey... could you help me with this thingymabob?" :-P
  • edited May 2012
    Pretty sure I've got a plantar wart on the ball of my right foot. Fuck you, foot.
    I've got dry ice and determination. Let's see where that gets me.

Noooo, don't do it yourself! I caught one on the bottom of my foot as a teenager (probably from locker-room floors) and I went to the doc to get it frozen. There will be too much collateral damage and not enough anesthesia if you try it at home.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Yeah Pete, don't remove it at home. Even with professional care, I have a permanent scar and permanent foot damage.
  • They make cryogenic removal kits for home use. I had a doctor remove them before using a Q-tip and a Dixie cup of liquid nitrogen. Dry ice is not the way to go - I was being facetious. It's not cold enough to work properly.

I've also never had anesthesia with the cryogenic removal. I think it's so cold it kills off the nerves. Anyhow, we'll see how it goes.
  • Just go to a doctor. Good god. You have insurance. They can remove them easily, and those things grow back if you don't get them all.