This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Hell, Canadians have done just as much damage (excluding the Lybian Al Queda link) when they lost the Stanley Cup two years ago.
  • Hell, Canadians have done just as much damage (excluding the Lybian Al Queda link) when they lost the Stanley Cup two years ago.
    Crystallized maple syrup parking lot.

I know it's always just the extremists. It's just...fuck. It's tiring. And we can't just ignore it and pull everyone out, and we can't roll in the tanks, and whatever aid we send doesn't seem to do much good...

• edited September 2012
    Hell, Canadians have done just as much damage (excluding the Lybian Al Queda link) when they lost the Stanley Cup two years ago.
    Crystallized maple syrup parking lot.

I know it's always just the extremists. It's just...fuck. It's tiring. And we can't just ignore it and pull everyone out, and we can't roll in the tanks, and whatever aid we send doesn't seem to do much good...

Our politicians are still locked in the "better world through conquest" mentality. Aid can be done differently than we're doing it. And even then, it's a very slow, deliberate, GENERATIONAL process that has to be carefully maintained in the long term.

In other words, everything humans are REALLY bad at, especially as a group.

Basically, you need to educate a subset of the native population, then have them be your ambassadors. There's a million gotchas, of course, but I think the "Power User" model can be very effective, especially played out over a very long game.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • NC legislature says that people under 21 are not eligible for restricted driving privileges. Now I can't get to work and my parents will have to keep pulling money out of savings to drive me to school.
  • Whoa, you got a DUI and you're under 21???
  • I'm gonna have to take my semi-defense of your actions...
  • edited September 2012
    NC legislature says that people under 21 are not eligible for restricted driving privileges. Now I can't get to work and my parents will have to keep pulling money out of savings to drive me to school.
    That sucks.

Edit:This statement is meant to imply understanding, not approval. Don't drink and drive kids.

Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • Yeah I wouldn't have been so easy about it with that extra info...
  • The riots in the middle east look like a lot more than a minority.
    Oh, hush. It's always the extremists that riot, and they drown out all of the devout-but-would-rather-be-able-to-live-peacefully majority.

Islam is a religion that preaches peace. The really devout do want to live peacefully. It's the extremist asstards that fuck everything up, just like the Christians here. Christians who actually live by the tenets of their religion are not the problem.

• edited September 2012
    NC legislature says that people under 21 are not eligible for restricted driving privileges. Now I can't get to work and my parents will have to keep pulling money out of savings to drive me to school.
    You shouldn't be allowed back on the fucking road until you grow up. A DUI is inexcusable. Under 21? Fuck you, kid. People's whole lives can be ruined when some self-absorbed shitbag gets behind the wheel half in the bag - and you're complaining that it's harder to get to work?

You are so lucky that this is all you get.

Get help. And if you already are - get more. And stop drinking until you can handle it responsibly.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Well fuck you too.
  • NC legislature says that people under 21 are not eligible for restricted driving privileges. Now I can't get to work and my parents will have to keep pulling money out of savings to drive me to school.
    You shouldn't be allowed back on the fucking road until you grow up. A DUI is inexcusable. Under 21? Fuck you, kid. People's whole lives can be ruined when some self-absorbed shitbag gets behind the wheel half in the bag - and you're complaining that it's harder to get to work?

You are so lucky that this is all you get.

Get help. And if you already are - get more. And stop drinking until you can handle it responsibly.
    Yeah, I agree with this message. You seemed remorseful before and I didn't know you were also underage, so I was willing to give you that people make mistakes, but now, man, you just sound entitled and like you're misplacing the blame here...
  • Well fuck you too.
    Hey, I drove home once when I shouldn't have. And you know what? Yeah, fuck me too.

• edited September 2012
    My lawyer lead me to believe that I was entitled to restricted driving privileges, and I didn't find out that I wasn't until court day. I'm upset because my idea of what the consequences were has been suddenly flipped. I don't blame anyone but myself, and I've no less remorse for what happened. I am thankful that this is all the punishment I get. The case was mitigated by this being my first offense, and by the fact that I blew a .09. Not that I'm making excuses, but I didn't feel over the limit, and the court recognizes that.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • The fact that you didn't think you were over the limit is still pretty sharply mitigated by the fact that you were drinking underage. It's not like you didn't know your precise age...
  • edited September 2012
    The fact that you didn't think you were over the limit is still pretty sharply mitigated by the fact that you were drinking underage. It's not like you didn't know your precise age...
    Yeah, if you want to drink before you're 21 at your house, whatevs. If you want to go out and drink and you're underage, that's a super bad plan.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Your lawyer sucks, and that part certainly sucks for you.

"Feeling over the limit" is really a terrible way to go about it. You can get used to "functioning" at a certain level of intoxication.

I actually keep mental track of what I've had to drink and over what span of time, then convert it into the proper number of "drinks" for determining BAC. You process 1 drink per hour on average.

I keep my drinking pegged to about that rate. I wait until I feel fine, and then spend another hour sobering up. I do not get drunk accidentally, and if I'm going out to get drunk, I make sure I'm not driving.

It reduces the amount of spontaneous partying you can do - but it's the responsible way to go about it.
  • I do not get drunk accidentally
    I think that Emperors New Groove episode was an accident, but we were all not driving anywhere. :P
  • I do not get drunk accidentally
    I think that Emperors New Groove episode was an accident, but we were all not driving anywhere. :P
    No, once you decided to mix margaritas, I was committed to the idea of getting trashed. And I could have said "no" at any point.

Man, that was a fun night.

• We need to do that again.
  • edited September 2012
    I do not get drunk accidentally
    No, once you decided to mix margaritas, I was committed to the idea of getting trashed. And I could have said "no" at any point.

Man, that was a fun night.

Yup, me too. I don't get drunk by accident since the "oops" moment where I drank an entire bottle of wine by myself. At home, with nowhere to go, but it was still not a pleasant evening after that. With the Margaritas, I kept myself at a level where I was pleasantly trashed but not feeling ill.
    We need to do that again.
    Come up this weekend. Evan will be here and we can all have "fun." ;)
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Come up this weekend. Evan will be here and we can all have "fun." ;)
    Nooooooo, now I have to choose between the shore and albany. FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU
    Also you both live in/around DC, so you could carpool if you were feeling really ambitious.

Also you both live in/around DC, so you could carpool if you were feeling really ambitious.
    That would halve the nearly $100 fuel cost of driving to Albany.
  • The shore has a better chance of having single ladies.
  • My boss and most of my job. I can do my job, but the lack of assistance from my boss when I actually need help is frustrating.

It also doesn't help that I feel I'm doing tasks that I feel it's her duties and not mine.

I regret more and more everyday that I didn't click submit application a month ago. It's my one of my biggest regrets to date.
    True...
    True...
    Yes, very true. AND he is now talking about leaving Saturday morning (arrive @5pm) and leaving Sunday morning... :( Unless I can talk him into longer we will not even have a full day.

True...
    Yes, very true. AND he is now talking about leaving Saturday morning (arrive @5pm) and leaving Sunday morning... :( Unless I can talk him into longer we will not even have a full day.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat? Laaaaaaaaaaame.