This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Nobody uses jGrasp except university programming classes that consider using an IDE to be cheating. If you ever mention jGrasp, all you're doing is telling people that you've never programmed outside of class.
  • Yeah. I used it in my very first programming class, and once I started using Visual Studio I never really looked back.
  • Fair enough. I never even heard of it until this thread, but I've also been out of university for 12+ years at this point. Right now, my preferred IDEs, in no particular order and without specifying language preferences, are QtCreator, Visual Studio, Xcode, and NetBeans. I also have IntelliJ IDEA's free edition installed, but I don't do that much with Java these days, so I haven't played with it too much.
  • Yeah. I used it in my very first programming class, and once I started using Visual Studio I never really looked back.
    My programming professor, in addition to such gems as "On UNIX, you have to do everything on a command line, instead of point and click", constantly tries to sell us on the virtues of that specific IDE. I can understand IDEs for much larger, thousand file+ projects, but for the shit we do? The only differece is clicking a button rather than going to cmd.exe and typing javac FileName.java.
  • edited September 2012
    Yeah. I used it in my very first programming class, and once I started using Visual Studio I never really looked back.
    My programming professor, in addition to such gems as "On UNIX, you have to do everything on a command line, instead of point and click", constantly tries to sell us on the virtues of that specific IDE. I can understand IDEs for much larger, thousand file+ projects, but for the shit we do? The only differece is clicking a button rather than going to cmd.exe and typing javac FileName.java.
    Ugh... Nothing worse than a professor who doesn't seem to know what he/she is talking about. I agree with you completely that IDEs are useful for thousand file+ projects, like what I work on (which is why I use QtCreator and friends). Even then, I mostly use them because they've got really nice integrated code indexing -- I still typically run the build tools from the command line. They're also good for GUI projects if they have a decent GUI editor (hand coding GUI layouts in C/C++/Java/Etc. is a pain in the ass. I never want to write 50 lines of code just to initialize an OK button like I did when I was programming Motif GUIs, although Motif is admittedly much more verbose than most GUI libraries). However, for small to medium projects with only handful of files, I just fire up a text editor (Emacs, vim, Notepad++, Kate, TextWrangler, or whatever else strikes my fancy at the moment), hack the code out, and compile from the CLI.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • I seem to have lost my debit card, but I have no idea where it could have happened. :(
  • HTPC case might have been fucking stolen within 10 minutes of being put on my doorstep.
  • edited September 2012
    Yeah. I used it in my very first programming class, and once I started using Visual Studio I never really looked back.
    Ugh... Nothing worse than a professor who doesn't seem to know what he/she is talking about. I agree with you completely that IDEs are useful for thousand file+ projects, like what I work on (which is why I use QtCreator and friends). Even then, I mostly use them because they've got really nice integrated code indexing -- I still typically run the build tools from the command line. They're also good for GUI projects if they have a decent GUI editor (hand coding GUI layouts in C/C++/Java/Etc. is a pain in the ass. I never want to write 50 lines of code just to initialize an OK button like I did when I was programming Motif GUIs, although Motif is admittedly much more verbose than most GUI libraries). However, for small to medium projects with only handful of files, I just fire up a text editor (Emacs, vim, Notepad++, Kate, TextWrangler, or whatever else strikes my fancy at the moment), hack the code out, and compile from the CLI.
    Unless I'm only using like 3 files I always use a IDE. Mostly because I don't want to deal with the bs of creating files to build all the relations I want. But then again it depends what your are programming in. C# I always just have Windows set that shit up, C/C++ I follow the above rule, and python stuff I usually just always write in a text editor since it usually takes longer to figure it out in an IDE than it does to just handle it yourself. A lot of languages are usually just easier to use the command line to compile/run though.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited September 2012
    HTPC case might have been fucking stolen within 10 minutes of being put on my doorstep.
    Probably just not delivered to the right address.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited September 2012
    HTPC case might have been fucking stolen within 10 minutes of being put on my doorstep.
    God fucking dammit.

EDIT: I'm hoping the driver scanned the package and then realized his mistake. I've had that happen before, and last time I got a delivery at home, it wasn't till around 2pm. Either that, or my neighbors picked it up for me, which is likely.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I learned to code on jGrasp.
  • HTPC case might have been fucking stolen within 10 minutes of being put on my doorstep.
    God fucking dammit.

EDIT: I'm hoping the driver scanned the package and then realized his mistake. I've had that happen before, and last time I got a delivery at home, it wasn't till around 2pm. Either that, or my neighbors picked it up for me, which is likely.
    Or not actually delivered yet at all. Who delivered? UPS has a standard practice of scanning items as delivered before they are delivered. If you call the company you ordered from, they can probably open a tracker with the delivery company. Whenever I have done this, my package magically appears the next day.

• UPS. Although, it shipped Guaranteed 3-Day from Newegg. I'll wait until 4pm and then ring them; I'm sure they can send me a replacement case if something happened.
  • Looks like my teenage brother-in-law may be living with me because his parents are moving away and they want him to graduate from the school he is in since he has started his senior year, and I likely have no say in it. Damnit.
  • My old aol email address got hacked twice this week. >.< Its my first email address ever, I've had it like 12 years or something crazy. So its impressive that this is the first time it got hacked I guess. AOL alerted me since my email was spamming people, and I changed the password (through aol.com itself, so no phishing). But now I'm super concerned that it happened again last night.
    I've been going through all of my sites changing the emails to another one, just in case I have to delete it. Why do I still use this ancient aol email, you ask? I use it either for retail stores that want my email, or minor sites I create accounts for (like forums and stuff). Accounts involving my credit card go to my main gmail account. So basically the intent of this aol account was to catch most of the spam.

Any ideas on how someone may be hacking it? I am not a hacker. ;-; I did just change the PW to something really obscure, so hopefully that fixes it.... ;-;
  • Arguing politics on reddit today. Not in /r/politics, thank god, but in "/r/TrueReddit"

I think I'm going to go drink some bleach...
  • I learned to code on jGrasp.
  • Major sigh, that car accident just has one more way to bite me in the ass. I have to get a new auto insurance policy, this time with Progressive. If I stayed, they were going to cancel my family's full deal policy with my mom's car and dad's truck.

The guilt is starting to choke my ass with all these mistakes costing my family. @_@
  • My GPS is a bastard. First, it directs me around the airport link thrice for no discernible reason, and then on the way back, despite setting it to avoid toll roads, directs me right down a toll road. Fuck's sake.
  • My GPS is a bastard. First, it directs me around the airport link thrice for no discernible reason, and then on the way back, despite setting it to avoid toll roads, directs me right down a toll road. Then it said fuck Australia and blew up in my car.
  • edited September 2012
    My GPS is a bastard. First, it directs me around the airport link thrice for no discernible reason, and then on the way back, despite setting it to avoid toll roads, directs me right down a toll road. Then it said fuck Australia and blew up in my car.
    I won't lie, I was sorely tempted to pitch it out the window going over the Captain Cook Bridge. But, to be fair, it's usefulness outweighs the maddening bullshit it does from time to time. And also, I might be getting revenge for the fact that our usual conversations sound something like:

"In one point two kilometers, exit left onto wynnum road."
    "GET FUCKED I AM."
    "Recalculating..."
    "It won't help, I'm going to ignore that one too."

(Though I won't deny I do thank it when it guides me well. I don't even know why.)

Edit -
    Also, to be fair, the toll road might be because it JUST had a map update, and it considers roads that are free with common conditions to be non-toll roads - For example, one tunnel is free this month for all passholders (you know the sort of thing, you have a little beeping RFID dooverlacker on your windshield, and it registers the tolls as you pass certain points), and everyone has one. Except I've not had one since I got back from England, and I've not ordered a new one yet, so that's five bucks to be paid in three business days. All the speed limits are still wrong, anyway.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Slight tangent, my dad changed the voice on their gps to "Australian" as a joke to my Mom. The voice is hilariously terrible. Instead of saying "Recalculating" it says "Re-kick-ulating" and the way that it pronounces some of the roads and whatnot is pretty funny.
  • I'm considering changing my father's GPS unit's voice to Spongebob for shits and giggles.
  • Major sigh, that car accident just has one more way to bite me in the ass. I have to get a new auto insurance policy, this time with Progressive. If I stayed, they were going to cancel my family's full deal policy with my mom's car and dad's truck.

The guilt is starting to choke my ass with all these mistakes costing my family. @_@
    Progressive is far from the worst--as insurance companies go, and for me was the cheapest option before I turned 25. That said, it's probably going to cost an arm and a leg after an accident.

My brother in law was in a accident a while back and it was his fault, and to avoid paying out the ass in insurance, he ended up driving around on a scooter that didn't require insurance.

Granted, it didn't go over 45 mph, and only had 1 seat, but he saved thousands.
  • There's a similar guy with a golf cart in some small town here in Missouri. And various stories of people with riding lawnmowers or other not-used-as-intended vehicles.
  • edited September 2012
    My parents' house (the one I grew up in) went on the market today. I'm going to miss it.

Also, I think the realtors have convinced them to undersell the house, but my opinion is pretty uninformed.

House.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • My parents' house (the one I grew up in) went on the market today. I'm going to miss it.

Also, I think the realtors have convinced them to undersell the house, but my opinion is pretty uninformed.

House.
    One of my weirdest "growing up" moments was going back to my hometown a year after I left home. Mom had sold the house after we lost dad, and sold it quickly as-is. When I went by a year later, I barely recognized the house, and the realization that "home" was gone hit me like a ton of bricks. I felt this profound alienation from the place I used to call home. I went back up there a couple of years later, and I felt nothing. It has become Just Another Rural Town to me.

• I had that sort of feel for my grandparents place when they sold it. I also felt a bit bad because my grandfather worked fairly hard on the yard maintenance, and it was quite clear the people that lived there now were less concerned.

My own "growing up" house we moved out of when I went to High School, and the new place was sold while I was in college, so I have no appreciation of the physical buildings.

As for my hometown, I'm often just disappointed to be around there.
  • edited September 2012
    It's in a realtors best interest to sell a house as fast as they can, which usually means trying to convince people to undersell their property (and yes I stole that from Freakanomics).

My parents sold their place over the summer and moved to another state so I have no reason to go back to my home state. Hooray. Although there is that lingering sentimentality as people have described.

Post edited by MATATAT on
  • That said, my parents need to sell the house quick enough that they'll have the money to buy a new house.