This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Migraines suck. That is all.
  • So i have an appointment with the Doc on Monday. >_> That's pretty good all things considered. Hopefully I won't be dead by then. :p
  • As a doctor (I'm not a doctor), I suggest that you eat as many spicy things (really bad idea) as you can and attempt to balance your yellow and black bile (don't do this).
  • As someone who almost became a doctor, I would suggest eating 500% of your recommended salt intake to expel any miasmas from your system.
  • Ok, I think this pain is getting worse. Might be time to go to the ER.
  • I pulled a muscle in my back once from apparently bending over funny. They basically told me "This happens a lot" and to just take 8 Advil instead of 2. Eventually it went away. *shrug*
  • Did you go to Urgent Care? Do that. You'll get seen faster.
  • Did you go to Urgent Care? Do that. You'll get seen faster.
    I did yesterday. They told me to take antacids. And that it may be pancreatitis. But that seemed super unlikely yesterday.
  • Don't fuck around with pancreatitis. It will fucking kill you dead.

Did they draw blood? Your lipase and amylase numbers should pretty definitively diagnose or rule out pancreatitis.
  • I was going to go to a concert with someone, but they cancelled on me. All follow up invitations have failed.
  • All the Australians that I've seen recently that complain about people celebrating Halloween in Australia as "just another pointless foreign holiday with no cultural relevance", who then celebrate St Patrick's day with gusto. Seriously, fuck those people.
  • All the Australians that I've seen recently that complain about people celebrating Halloween in Australia as "just another pointless foreign holiday with no cultural relevance", who then celebrate St Patrick's day with gusto. Seriously, fuck those people.
    Why are you angry? This is a candy eating holiday. St. Patrick's is a beer drinking holiday. Both release so many endorphins that you basically can't take it.

Why are you angry? This is a candy eating holiday. St. Patrick's is a beer drinking holiday. Both release so many endorphins that you basically can't take it.
    In my case, mostly because all of the common arguments are just incorrect and foolish justifications of people's sense of cultural inferiority and fear of the unfamiliar. St Pat's and Halloween are from exactly the same tradition, are both equally commercialized, and are both foreign holidays, but the reason we celebrate one and not the other is because we stopped celebrating one for a few generations, starting just before the second world war.

Also, because people see it as a big scawwy american holiday, and they start stupid jingoistic rants about how we're not American, and we don't celebrate "American" holidays, despite celebrating American style Christmas, New years, and Easter, along with the Americanised version of St Patrick's day.

People will even yell at children about how we're not Americans, mock them for trying to have fun on the day, and do things like put out trays of Toffee Onions and spraying kids with hoses. It's fucking horrible, and it makes me ashamed to be part of this culture sometimes.
  • At the ER, wooooo. :(
  • edited October 2012
    Halloween is originally more Irish Catholic than American, especially the jack 'o lanterns.
    Also, you are Australia, a former Anglo colony just like the U.S. Complaining that you have imported culture is ludicrous.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • And we all know Aussies love their brew.
  • edited October 2012
    Halloween is originally more Irish Catholic than American, especially the jack 'o lanterns.
    Also, you are Australia, a former Anglo colony just like the U.S. Complaining that you have imported culture is ludicrous.
    Preaching to the choir, ma'am. In fact, for most of it's history, the US didn't celebrate Halloween, because the puritans thought it unholy, and the protestants rejected it as a catholic holiday. Halloween's universal popularity in the US is actually MORE recent than Australia's general cessation of celebrating Halloween.

Post edited by Churba on
  • I'm agreeing. It is very silly.
  • Halloween is originally more Irish Catholic than American, especially the jack 'o lanterns.
    Actually, it's more Celtic Pagan than Irish Catholic.
  • Christmas is Yule and Saturnalia, Easter Bunny is Pagan as they come. When it comes to northern Christianity, old habits die hard.
  • Halloween is originally more Irish Catholic than American, especially the jack 'o lanterns.
    Actually, it's more Celtic Pagan than Irish Catholic.
    While that's true, the Catholics adopted it as their own. It's actually a Catholic Holy day of Obligation, just like Christmas, St Pats, Pancake day, and Easter.
  • ER update:

Doctor is going to do a quick blood test to rule out pancreatitis. Then I'm going to drink some thing to numb my throat and stomach to rule out stomach issues. Then I'm getting a CT scan to see what's what.
  • ER update:

Doctor is going to do a quick blood test to rule out pancreatitis. Then I'm going to drink some thing to numb my throat and stomach to rule out stomach issues. Then I'm getting a CT scan to see what's what.
    Wow, you got seen fast. Glad they are taking it seriously and giving you the rundown. Let us know how it goes.

• Drank the lidocane, did not seem to help. 40 oz of contrast later I am cold. Good thing I brought my jacket in. 1 hour to CT scan
  • You're doing better than me. Last time I went into an ER with severe gastritis, I was delirious with fever and dehydration from vomiting and diarrhea. They decided I was a drunk and left me in a treatment room to dry out for 11 hours without even checking to see if I was dead. I had long hair, was unshaven, and dressed in cargo shorts and a tie dye. Evidently that made me look like a junkie.

They promised me lidocaine for the gastritis but then decided I was probably drug-seeking and quietly "forgot" to give it to me. I was in unbelievable pain the entire time. In the morning my bloodwork revealed a raging infection and they wanted to do a CT scan. I told them to go fuck themselves, went home, and dosed up on Cipro and Flagyl for a week that I happened to have a stock of.
  • Blood work came back, everything is green. No pamcreatitis. Waiting on CT scan results.
  • Well, not having pancreatitis is good. Did they look for IBD markers?
  • Ugh damn being around kids I really don't need a intestinal bug right before I make a 3 hour drive
    IBD markers?
    IBD markers?
    Shit that might indicate a new onset chronic condition. Stuff like C-reactive proteins (not that great an indicator IIRC), sed rate (really only useful with history), others I can't come up with off the top of my tongue. There's a test called the Prometheus that can determine if you're at a higher risk of Crohn's but it's expensive and not all that conclusive.

Still it's not bad to start tracking sed rate in case it becomes relevant. I guess I don't recall enough about initial diagnosis to really give good advice here, so don't take this as advice. I was primarily just curious (and nosy).