This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• [Doesn't fit properly] + [not performing intended function] often means you stuck it in the wrong hole.
    Could you at least make it challenging for me?
  • [Doesn't fit properly] + [not performing intended function] often means you stuck it in the wrong hole.
    Could you at least make itchallengingfor me?
    You want a sentence that is difficult to make dirty? Okay.

This sentence is not dirty.

How 'bout that?
  • This sentence is not dirty.
    Heh heh heh.
  • This sentence is not dirty.
    Yet. Give me 10 minutes and some rope.
  • Is Gmail acting oddly for anyone else? I haven't been able to reply to emails all day.
  • The pic is just a screenshot of a Facebook wall, but the text is probably NSFW:

Facebook Fail.
  • I accidentally garbage disposal'd a shot glass. Need to get a maintenance guy to help.
  • edited September 2009
    Canabalt: If you are going to make a game based around reflexes and timing, don't make it in Flash.
    I still don't get how a 2D flash game can lag that much on a 3.2GHz core.

Also: Game will inevitably throw in a dick move. I'm looking at you, jump crate then instantly jump into building through window.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • That cable was stuck in there really good (none of your suggestions helped), so we finally just cut the cable with wire cutters. I'm just gonna tell everyone that the bit of ethernet poking out of my laptop is my new wireless adapter.
  • I can confirm that the ethernet cable is stuck. Oddest thing. Looks a little bit like this now.
  • Looks a little bit likethisnow.
    LOL, that's great.

I have a problem, wondering if forumites have same problem. I'm a big fan of bacon and cook it for breakfast on a regular basis. Trouble is when cooking bacon in a frying pan it has a tendency to splatter grease on everything near by, most notably the other burners. So when I go to use my other burners there's a wonderful burning smell as the grease is burned off.

So my question is how do you stop grease getting on your electric heating elements? I'm thinking of getting some pie tins and placing them on the burners when they aren't in use.
  • You can get a splatter guard.
    QFT. Metal mesh screens with handles are your friends when cooking anything involving hot oil.
    QFT. Metal mesh screens with handles are your friends when cooking anything involving hot oil.
    Thanks you two, I'll look for one.

Man, I miss having gas burners. :(

• Man, I miss having gas burners. :(
    Oh man, me too. Everything about my new place is awesome except the stove. The stove is actually kind of awesome in that it's from the 60s or something and has an awesome retro-futuristic look, but the electric burners -- gah. What actually pisses me off the most is that I now have no good way to heat tortillas and pitas.
  • What actually pisses me off the most is that I now have no good way to heat tortillas and pitas.
    A calphalon flat pan pre-heated over medium-high heat on an electric burner will do the trick perfectly.

Electric burners work just fine, so long as you are aware of what temperatures correspond to which dial settings (most people vastly under-estimate how hot the burner will get, use modern non-stick or cast iron cookware, and pre-heat your pans ahead of cooking. You can increase the heat very quickly by turning up the dial, and you can lower the heat very quickly by turning down the dial and lifting the pan a few inches above the burner for a minute or so before setting it back down.

Old electrics are shit, but they work just fine if you know how to use them. New electrics are very nice, with even heating from ceramic dispersers and flat, variably-sized cooking surfaces.

Gas has its advantages, but don't sell electric short: most of its problems come from old stoves and poor technique.
  • I just got a gas stove again. So happy. Not a fail of my day in the slightest. On the other hand, I tried some Rochacha shwag the other day. Worse than I ever remembered. Ugh. Brushed my teeth three times afterwards. And this is from a person who enjoys the taste of ganja!
  • most people vastly under-estimate how hot the burner will get,
    Well, actually, the hottest electric burners are substantially lower in temperature than a basic gas flame. The difference with an electric burner is that is has a broader surface area, and thus transfers heat into a pan much more efficiently than a gas burner.

The problem with electrics is that you simply don't have the same level of control that a gas burner affords you. You can change the temperature on a gas flame instantly, whereas electric coils take time to cool off. It still takes time for the pan to lose heat, and some pans retain heat like nobody's business, but if you have a pan whose temperature changes quickly, and you use it on a gas flame, you will have near-perfect control over the temperature of your food at all times.
  • The problem with electrics is that you simply don't have the same level of control that a gas burner affords you.
    You beat me to it.
    I've always preferred and used gas stoves. I really don't see how people make a stir fry without a gas stove.
  • Try cooking your bacon in the microwave between some paper towels.
  • Well, actually, the hottest electric burners are substantially lower in temperature than a basic gas flame.
    Yes, but people don't understand the scale on the electric dial, and they tend to set it way too hot for whatever they're cooking. The rule of thumb (from the Culinary Institute up here) was something along the lines of "if you set it to HIGH, and you're not boiling water or lighting a cigar, you should be ashamed of yourself."
    if you have a pan whose temperature changes quickly, and you use it on a gas flame, you will have near-perfect control over the temperature of your food at all times.
    The major advantage of gas stoves. You have the same downward control with an electric (raising the pan), but not upward. Still, I'd wager that the majority of people cooking in the world aren't at the point where the fine temperature control matters. For most basic dishes, a heat-holding pan pre-heated to your desired cooking temperature is more than enough.

My ideal stove is a gas hybrid surface. (Flat, ceramic gas-driven burners on one side, a flat griddle in the middle, and two traditional gas burners on the other side). Electrics/flats are great for slow cooking, boiling water, etc... Boil the noodles on one, stir fry the meat on the other.
  • edited September 2009
    Yes, but people don't understand the scale on the electric dial, and they tend to set it way too hot for whatever they're cooking. The rule of thumb (from the Culinary Institute up here) was something along the lines of "if you set it to HIGH, and you're not boiling water or lighting a cigar, you should be ashamed of yourself."
    Well, you should also only use the high flame on a gas stove for boiling water. Takes forever, though. It's especially annoying when you're brewing beer and have to boil 3 gallons of very dense liquid. :P

EDIT: Bacon in the oven is a fantastic way to go. Use thick-sliced bacon, put it on a wire rack on top of a cookie sheet, brush on some maple syrup, and bake away.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Bacon in the oven is a fantastic way to go. Use thick-sliced bacon, put it on a wire rack on top of a cookie sheet, brush on some maple syrup, and bake away.
    Halfway through, splash some white wine onto it. Surprisingly tasty. Works just as well when broiling sausages.
  • Bacon in the oven is a fantastic way to go. Use thick-sliced bacon, put it on a wire rack on top of a cookie sheet, brush on some maple syrup, and bake away.
    Halfway through, splash some white wine onto it. Surprisingly tasty. Works just as well when broiling sausages.
    Sausage + wine = heaven, or at least as close as an atheist can get.

My fail today is that I lack sausage. :(
  • My fail today is that I lack sausage.
    I'm going to have sausage for lunch!
  • edited September 2009
    The problem with electrics is that you simply don't have the same level of control that a gas burner affords you. You can change the temperature on a gas flame instantly, whereas electric coils take time to cool off. It still takes time for the pan to lose heat, and some pans retain heat like nobody's business, but if you have a pan whose temperature changes quickly, and you use it on a gas flame, you will have near-perfect control over the temperature of your food at all times.
    Exactly, the electric stove works just fine, but I like the control of gas. I get along fine without it, but I still miss it.
    Try cooking your bacon in the microwave between some paper towels.
    Your cooking privileges are here by revoked.
    My ideal stove is a gas hybrid surface.
    I had one of these in my house. Nice ceramic electric surface and 4 gas burners, loved. My apartment however has ghetto old coil electric stove tops. My pans don't sit flat, they're tilted funny. They work in the same way a regular car will work on a race track, it's just not ideal and disappointing to someone who demands a bit more from their equipment.
    EDIT: Bacon in the oven is a fantastic way to go. Use thick-sliced bacon, put it on a wire rack on top of a cookie sheet, brush on some maple syrup, and bake away.
    I usually only make one slice in the morning so the oven, even the toaster oven, is just overkill. But when I make bacon in quantity for a group of people, the oven is definitely the way to go.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Try cooking your bacon in the microwave between some paper towels.
    Your cooking privileges are here by revoked.
    Please elaborate as to why is it so wrong to use the microwave? why are people so afraid of it?
  • Please elaborate as to why is it so wrong to use the microwave? why are people so afraid of it?
    Because the heat is too high and uneven to cook the bacon. Bacon needs low heat and slow cooking to be nice and crispy without being tough.

Mind you, the microwave is a great way to reheat cooked bacon in a hurry.
  • Because the heat is too high and uneven to cook the bacon. Bacon needs low heat and slow cooking to be nice and crispy without being tough.
    Crispy bacon sucks donkey nuts. Chewy bacon ftw
  • Crispy bacon sucks donkey nuts. Chewy bacon ftw
    QFT. ^_~