This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• That sucks man, I'm sorry. Sometimes it just seems like when two people of opposite sexes have chemistry or a close friendship there's more of a push for them to be in a relationship when maybe friendship is all it was meant to be. It sucks it had to happen like this but it'll get better and I guess the band-aid had to get pulled sometime.

On a lighter note:

Man V. Fashion

Is this a video series where you have to eat as much expensive clothing as possible within a set time limit?

• Actually, Man V Fashion was an 1836 Supreme Court decision -- the last under President Andrew Jackson -- which established that the First Amendment applies to attire, but did not exclude state restrictions on apparel, as the First Amendment hadn't yet been expanded to restrict State Legislatures. It wasn't till 1908 that the court ruled that States also cannot regulate clothing.
  • edited January 2016

Man V. Fashion

Is this a video series where you have to eat as much expensive clothing as possible within a set time limit?
    Man V. Fashion is "one man’s attempt to learn more about fashion". That one man being me. I like how interesting good clothes looks and the effort that goes into designing them, and clothes are this integral part of society that is a way for people to express themselves. That being said, I don't know much about fashion, so I want to learn more. Problem is, the world of fashion looks so opaque to a guy like me.
    So, I'm going to explore the topic as best as I can and I've got friends who are willing to help me. I've got a guru for women's fashion to help me understand it better and answer questions like "why doesn't woman's clothes have pockets?" and to explain haute' couture to me and a men's fashion guru to explain why bow-ties are a thing again suddenly, but not suspenders.
    Greg said:

Actually, Man V Fashion was an 1836 Supreme Court decision -- the last under President Andrew Jackson -- which established that the First Amendment applies to attire, but did not exclude state restrictions on apparel, as the First Amendment hadn't yet been expanded to restrict State Legislatures. It wasn't till 1908 that the court ruled that States also cannot regulate clothing.

Are you pulling my leg? Given your record of knowing things like this, I pretty much believe you, but my spidey sense is tingling on that one.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Women's clothing don't have pockets so that they can sell them purses. It's a good racket.
  • edited January 2016
    But I've also heard that it's because pockets create bulge when filled, which goes against the ideal of a svelte, curvy silhouette.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Greg was making a joke on the actual history of free speech jurisprudence in the US, I think.
  • It was based in the actual history of free speech jursprudence, but it also was kinda just me goofing. I once convinced someone that Nature vs Nurture was a court case and I've been trying to bring back that magic ever since.
  • But I've also heard that it's because pockets create bulge when filled, which goes against the ideal of a svelte, curvy silhouette.

This is very likely. For the same reason, tuxedos don't have usable external pockets - it preserves the lines of the jacket (and is supposed to give the impression that you don't work for a living).
  • edited January 2016
    This is about 10 years old but I just found it and it's pretty failtastic.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • There is a guy at my work who told me today that I should stop taking my doctor prescribed amphetamine because "it's basically meth". I laughed in his face.
  • There is a guy at my work who told me today that I should stop taking my doctor prescribed amphetamine because "it's basically meth". I laughed in his face.

It's the parent compound of meth, so he's right.
  • Yeah people don't get that illicit drugs can have medical properties, but only some of the time. My mom has shingles right now and is being prescribed opiates, but nobody pats an eye about that. I'm lucky that none of my meds have recreational uses so I don't have to put up with that shit.
  • Yeah it's bullshit.
  • Daikun said:

There is a guy at my work who told me today that I should stop taking my doctor prescribed amphetamine because "it's basically meth". I laughed in his face.

It's the parent compound of meth, so he's right.
    Chemically he's right, but his argument was that it was going to screw up my mouth.
  • Because your teeth are the most important part of you that can be ruined by excessive use of amphetamines...
  • Isn't a lot of "meth mouth" due to them barely brushing their teeth and possibly grinding their teeth from taking so much meth, rather than the drug itself eating away at them?
  • Rent got increased by several hundred dollars, shit.
  • Happened time a few times due to non-rent-controlled commercial property living. Now: moving apartment.
  • Is that one of those things where couples leave padlocks behind?
  • Apparently my speakers were hooked up backwards all year. Good job me.
  • Apparently my speakers were hooked up backwards all year. Good job me.

LOL, do you not use the speakers on that computer much?
    What lead you to the discovery.
  • sK0pe said:

Apparently my speakers were hooked up backwards all year. Good job me.

LOL, do you not use the speakers on that computer much?
    What lead you to the discovery.
    Linux screwed up the balance and I was messing with it and realized they were switched.
  • Kanye's on a bit of a roll lately, isn't he?
  • edited February 2016
    So, after everything is said and done, the computer I bought off a friend is extremely underpowered and if I want to play anything that came out from 2014 onward I need to gut it and upgrade... basically everything.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • edited February 2016

So, after everything is said and done, the computer I bought off a friend is extremely underpowered and if I want to play anything that came out from 2014 onward I need to gut it and upgrade... basically everything.

On the upside, at least you can spread the cost out over time, rather than taking the hit all at once. And some of those parts are probably still useful.
    Post edited by Churba on