This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• I am Spartacus!
  • I'm ranked like 217 or 214 (I forget which) in Pac-Man CE DX now. Will I ever make #1?
    Is that for overall rank, or is it some specific game-mode?
  • Today I found out I passed the cutoff on the AMC12 and will go on to the AIME. Only two people in my school passed, and the other kid was a senior (I'm a junior, so I still have another year after this too). If I do well on this, it will be really awesome for college.
  • See, when you say AMC12, I think the movie theater down the street.
  • See, when you say AMC12, I think the movie theater down the street.
  • Today I found out I passed the cutoff on the AMC12 and will go on to the AIME. Only two people in my school passed, and the other kid was a senior (I'm a junior, so I still have another year after this too). If I do well on this, it will be really awesome for college.
    Good job! The AIME is bitchin hard though, make sure you don't expect to finish.
  • Leeds Young Film Festival is having an anime showing day comprised of: Laputa, Summer Wars, Tri-Gun Badlands Rumble and Redline.
    Also showing: Kells and a Preview of "Tomorrow, When the War Began.".
  • When is this? I was going to go to check out the uni, I might reschedule to when the film fest is....
  • edited March 2011
    2nd of April. Kells is the 31st of March and again on the 6th of april. When the war began is on Tuesday the 5th.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited March 2011
    Leeds Young Film Festival is having an anime showing day comprised of: Laputa, Summer Wars, Tri-Gun Badlands Rumble and Redline.
    Also showing: Kells and a Preview of "Tomorrow, When the War Began.".
    Hyde Park Picture house again? Because there is that wicked chicken place right near there, and it's right close to the Hyde park social club, where drinks are cheap and the company is good.

I <3 The Middle Kingdom. <font color="#FFFFFF">Translation - Headingly. Ask Omnutia.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • And I have Spring Break, sounds like an awesome plan.
  • edited March 2011
    Pretty recently I was recruited to work as the sound designer with an Imagine Cup game design team. The game is a sort of RTS/RPG/Management Sim set on a tropical island, so the first thing we needed was jungle sounds. Now, I live in the middle of nowhere, and just down the road there's a big pond with a ton of frogs in it. To the untrained ear it could easily pass as a jungle, so I decided that instead of cobbling together a bunch of public domain samples, I'd just record the track myself. I waited for a nice, clear, humid night when the frogs would be at their loudest, and drove down with with my laptop/mic/mixer setup in a backpack. After recording it was a matter of filtering out the sounds of cars in the distance, deleting the bits where cars drove right by, adding some bird sounds, and making it all loop seamlessly.

It turned out so well that the lead designer thought I had downloaded and layered a bunch of jungle sound effects together. He was both impressed and very pleased with the fact that I had done it all without the need to credit any sources. I'm pretty proud of how my small chunk of the project has started out; hopefully the rest will go as smoothly.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • That's soooo rad, dude.
  • You deserve a drink for that.

Come back to Chicago so I can buy you a drink.
  • You deserve a drink for that.

Come back to Chicago so I can buy you a drink.
    Someday, man. I'll hold you to it.
  • Seriously, man. We'll hit this place for a bite and then move on to Wicker Park for comics and gaming.
    Good job! The AIME is bitchin hard though, make sure you don't expect to finish.
    Yeah, I got some practice questions and only had any idea how to solve one of them. this is probably the first time in my life I'll need math tutoring.
  • I just recorded a really great 1.5 hour interview/discussion with one of my favourite podcast hosts. It's for a series I'm going to be putting out later, and this guy was a big influence on me when I started the project.
  • I'm spending all of the next school year in Britain. I'll have two free months to travel. I'll be taking medical school courses and working on research in addition to finishing all of my advanced bio coursework.

I can't even process into words how excited I am. This is really overwhelming.
  • Congratulations! When are you moving over?
  • Congrats, swing by Landan for a meet up.

Just ran 4 miles with out realizing it.
  • Congratulations! When are you moving over?
    Early next August, I think. Give myself a couple of weeks to get settled, day trip, and chill with roommates before classes start up.

There is much to do. I need to buy luggage and a travel backpack and complete page upon page of paperwork. Renew my EU passport and see if I need a visa anyway. Find a place to live. Lots of exciting new stress.
  • Early next August, I think. Give myself a couple of weeks to get settled, day trip, and chill with roommates before classes start up.

There is much to do. I need to buy luggage and a travel backpack and complete page upon page of paperwork. Renew my EU passport and see if I need a visa anyway. Find a place to live. Lots of exciting new stress.
    If you're planning on working at all, make sure you file for their equivalent of a Tax file number, the name of which escapes me right now - Comes on a red, white and blue card, I think. Without it, you're paying a crazy amount of extra tax on top of what you're already paying.
  • edited March 2011
    Without it, you're paying a crazy amount of extra tax on top of what you're already paying.
    Is that for the equivalent of a working visa? If so, the Maastricht treaty has my back.

Even if it's not, I probably won't be working. Too much studying and research to do.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Is that for the equivalent of a working visa? If so, the Maastricht treaty has my back.
    No no no, it's a thing called a National Insurance Number. You actually have to apply separate to the work visa - after a quick bit of googling, it's very much like a social security number - though you can get away without having one, they do make it suck to do so.
  • Well, I either live there on a US student visa, or on the terms of EU citizenship. The Maastricht treaty says that provided I can prove my citizenship to the EU (I can), I have freedom of employment and movement. However, I will definitely look into the NIN and talk to the UK consulate in Chicago about that.
  • Well, I either live there on a US student visa, or on the terms of EU citizenship. The Maastricht treaty says that provided I can prove my citizenship to the EU (I can), I have freedom of employment and movement. However, I will definitely look into the NIN and talk to the UK consulate in Chicago about that.
    Yeah - I'm pretty sure you should get it anyway. the Maastricht treaty means that they can't refuse to hire you because you're foreign and don't have one, but it doesn't mean they can't tax the shit out of you for doing so.
  • I'm not even sure if I can be a part of this program and hold employment.
  • Last night I took part in a show called 3 Minute Hero. It was an open stage that took place on the platform between tracks at a metro station here in Berlin. We were closed down by security, of course, but after one and a half hours. Each act only had the time until the next train arrived, and that was more than three minutes, usually, but the format was a success.

I took my guitar and provided some music. My plan to play and sing in public more this year is working out! "more" isn't so hard in this case as last year I think I did zero public performing of any kind.