This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• *awesome teacher story*
    Why are you so cool?
    Well, the origin of my coolness is complex. For that answer, listen to FNPL Episode 42. However, there is a limit to my coolness.
  • @Sonic: Any teacher worth their salt appreciates a clever student.
  • I'm back home.

I'm so happy.
  • The buttons came in, the google store is in place, and do many friends are excited to buy from us. Hell yeah.
  • I just made 39.5 meters on QWOP.
  • I just made 39.5 meters on QWOP.
    Nice. I have enough trouble trying to get a positive score.
  • I once finished QWOP. it involved a lot of sliding down the track like some kind of slug.
  • I once finished QWOP. it involved a lot of sliding down the track like some kind of slug.
    I am in awe. You can't even imagine.
  • Booh-yah: Five Star Stories is one of my favorite manga. I can quite honestly say that there is nothing I find wrong with it. It is sheer feudal-deep-space-giant-robot-knight-badasses-and-awesome-storylines perfection. However, the manga is notoriously hard to acquire in English. Today, however, I got some volumes of it.

Double Booh-yah: Seven volumes of it.

Triple Booh-yah: At Half-Priced Books.

Booh-yah^x, where x is a limit approaching infinity: These didn't fit on the regular manga shelves (they're huge albums, the size of the original pages FSS was printed on in Newtype), so HPB moved them to overflow. Overflow at HPB is also known as "clearance." I got them for $2 each.
  • Booh-yah: Five Star Stories is one of my favorite manga. I can quite honestly say that there is nothing I find wrong with it. It is sheer feudal-deep-space-giant-robot-knight-badasses-and-awesome-storylines perfection. However, the manga is notoriously hard to acquire in English. Today, however, I got some volumes of it.

Double Booh-yah: Seven volumes of it.

Triple Booh-yah: At Half-Priced Books.

Booh-yah^x, where x is a limit approaching infinity: These didn't fit on the regular manga shelves (they're huge albums, the size of the original pages FSS was printed on in Newtype), so HPB moved them to overflow. Overflow at HPB is also known as "clearance." I got them for $2 each.
    Do you own the animated movie? It's a prequel to the Five Star Stories manga. It looks really great. Here's the Amazon page.
  • Initial job interview at Warsaw Central Elementary school on 5/31 at 11:30 AM. The driving will suck, but I have more Terry Pratchett audio books that you can shake a stick at.
  • Didn't think about it before, but I think this qualifies as a boo-yah. After over two years of talking about it, my friends and I finally had our first real band practice over the weekend. It went really well, and even after just an hour or so of playing together, we're meshing quickly. Now that we're getting serious about this, it's probably about time I invested in some decent cymbals.

The funniest part of this is that for the foreseeable future, we're going to be practicing in my parents' garage. We're basically a high school band, but in our mid 20's to early 30's.
  • Got a Minecraft server running in a Amazon EC2 instance.
  • Got a Minecraft server running in a Amazon EC2 instance.
    Very cool.
  • edited May 2011
    How much would that cost to maintain if we all chipped in?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited May 2011
    How much would that cost to maintain if we all chipped in?
    Well I'm currently operating in what's called a micro instance. That's limited to 600 MB of RAM give or take. I don't think it's really large enough to handle all the people who use the FRC server and its bukkit mod. As of right now I qualify for Amazon's free tier of pricing so I don't know what it's gonna cost a month.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Well, I'd be interested if you get it sorted out. Especially if we can port the current map to it.
  • Well, I'd be interested if you get it sorted out. Especially if we can port the current map to it.
    Ok, so here's how this works. You get charged based on how long the instance is on, not on how much CPU time you use. Have it running all day every day for a month, that's gonna be about a max of 750 hours.

Pricing is as follows for the east coast cloud:
    micro instance (613MB): 2 cents an hour or ~$15 a month
    small instance (1.7GB): 8.5 cents and hour or ~$65 a month

Currently Amazon is doing an intro special for the micro instance, 750 hours of time of linux EC2 instance per month free. So enough to run one micro instance for free for a year. Jason can answer if a micro instance is feasible, but I doubt it. Honestly, for hosting the forum something like this is probably better.
  • Honestly, for hosting the forum something like this is probably better.
    See a need, fill a need. Free enterprise at it's best.
  • Honestly, for hosting the forum something like this is probably better.
    See a need, fill a need. Free enterprise at it's best.
    Regardless, someone would have to take point an pay the $30 upfront for the server and then collect donations.
  • edited May 2011
    If someone wants to start a pot, I'll put some in. Tenner alright?

If we can get ten people to pay £4 each a month, given the amount we play it, it'd be well worth it.
  • Just accepted a summer job offer. It's at a hospital and pays double what my last job did. That means I get experience that looks great on my CV, and I'll have the mad bank necessary to put away a couple grand for traveling and still buy games, backpacking gear, books, and project stuff. Awww yeah.
  • Got invited to play in a game of Dune this weekend! Never played the game, but this could be a great chance to cross it off of my board gaming bucket list. Not sure if I can make it yet as they haven't settled on the time, but I'm hoping to get there.
  • Got invited to play in a game of Dune this weekend! Never played the game, but this could be a great chance to cross it off of my board gaming bucket list. Not sure if I can make it yet as they haven't settled on the time, but I'm hoping to get there.
    Ohhhh Dune is so awesome ^_^
    Ohhhh Dune is so awesome ^_^
    Enjoy playing it the whole weekend, cause that's how long it'll take. :P
  • Booh-yah!: Early release from work due to memorial day weekend.
    Double Booh-yah!: Going to the comic store to pick new comics.
    Triple Booh-yah!: Dinner at a tapas resturant later in the evening with the family.
    Tetra Booh-yah!: Kung Fu Panda 2 after dinner.
    Impossible Booh-yah!: Sleep.
  • And then you woke up.

So, either "C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!" or an additional booyah.
  • And then you woke up.

So, either "C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!" or an additional booyah.
    Well, tomorrow there is a new episode of Doctor Who, and the weather is coming along nicely for a nice run tomorrow. I would say that this weekend might be made of Booh yah! :D
  • Who has a real DMZ attached to their firewall? This guy!
  • edited May 2011
    Sounds interesting. What're you using a DMZ for?