This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• Ballroom Dancing Final: COMPLETE.

• edited December 2011
    w00t! I hope you get enough money to attend, it is really damn expensive. But I love it here, I'm sure you'd fit in well.
    Hahaha, this.

chiponmyshoulder.jpg

Also, for work study I recommend working here. It's just sysadmin stuff, but you get to play with supercomputers that collide galaxies. Probably the best job I had at RIT.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I am done with ALL the college classes.
  • I got a 4.0 this quarter.

Also, giving myself a belated pat-on-the-back for learning classical guitar in the month and a half before school started well enough to play in the ensemble this year.
  • edited December 2011
    Not really my Boo-Yah, but Jeremy's.

He recently finished school last week. He spent 2 years for a welding certification/degree.

Monday: Put out resume on the internet.
    Tuesday: Get interview. Pee in cup.
    Wednesday: Follow up interview, welding test.
    Wednesday night: Get job offer. Start in January as a welder. Benefits and good pay.

Me: Not as stressed anymore.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Yeah, welding is a highly sought after skill these days. He's pretty much set. Congrats!
  • Ask him if you can weld on the moon.
  • Is welding particularly dangerous? Is there a class just for welding?
  • It can be. Some welding more than others like underwater welding, but Jeremy never studied or certified for that. He wants to mainly do indoor shop type welding.

If he did do underwater welding, he would be making mad money, but perhaps something to consider.
  • edited December 2011
    Is welding particularly dangerous? Is there a class just for welding?
    There's different types of welding, and the answers to both of those is "It depends." Personal welding and welding as a mechanic or something? You don't need a certification for something like that. Welding for a large company like a huge HVAC business or an industrial fabricating plant? You'll likely need a commercial welding license.

As for the dangers, welding ranges from "blinding light and minor fumes that won't hurt you with proper ventilation" (iron, steel) to "blinding light, and extremely toxic fumes such that a special extractor and breathing equipment are needed" (stainless steel, certain types of chrome). If you're an underwater commercial welder, tack on "weld fumes may accidentally dissolve into water and may enter your bloodstream as neurotoxins over time, causing Parkinsonian symptoms."

Ninja'd by Ro. Anyway, an aside: Underwater welding is in my top three "Plan B" jobs if academia or medicine doesn't work out.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Yes, what he said. Jeremy basically went to school for 2 years for an AAS in Welding Technology.
  • Major booyah, not just for me but for a whole city:

The love of my life, my fútbol team has made it to the final after a very dramatic match against a team from Bogotá. It was decided in the PKs, and our goalie stopped the first shot. It was the only thing needed to win.

Tonight, brighter than ever, my love for Atlético Junior de Barranquilla burns like the Sun
  • edited December 2011
    In spite of my depression, I've managed to keep up with teaching English and fixing computers. Combined with money from my birthday, I'm going to order a new MB+CPU+RAM core for my computer. The first time I'll have bought my computer all by myself.
    (And buying meds won't be a problem, which is nice.)
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Nice. Have any specs plotted out yet?
  • There's different types of welding, and the answers to both of those is "It depends." Personal welding and welding as a mechanic or something? You don't need a certification for something like that.
    Not entirely true. Some mechanic's work where you'd be welding, say, TIG-ing on an exhaust, you don't need a certification. Things like Welding any part of the chassis or frame, or welding any sort of support structure like Rollcages, you to have at least a trade certification to do the work or it simply won't pass a roadworthy, at least down here.

• Accepted to Northeastern and invited to the Honors program!
  • There's different types of welding, and the answers to both of those is "It depends." Personal welding and welding as a mechanic or something? You don't need a certification for something like that.
    Not entirely true. Some mechanic's work where you'd be welding, say, TIG-ing on an exhaust, you don't need a certification. Things like Welding any part of the chassis or frame, or welding any sort of support structure like Rollcages, you to have at least a trade certification to do the work or it simply won't pass a roadworthy, at least down here.

I'd imagine it's the same in the US, but I haven't talked to any mechanics that weld cages, so I don't know for sure.

• Double-posting for magnificent booh yah.

Went in to take my essay having only done two hours of reading and having been awake for 28 hours, seeing gossamer threads attached to my fingers like I was a marionette. Pretty much everyone else had just pre-written their essays and drilled them until they could write them from memory. I went in with no notes whatsoever, pulled some shit about pharmacogenetics regarding heritable genotypes (alcohol!), polymorphisms (rifampicin interactions in humans vs. bunnies!), and abnormal baseline expression (CYP1A1!) out of the dark recesses of my sleep-deprived, hallucinating mind. Made that essay my bitch and wrote three pages of improvised but decent material in 30 minutes. Left the exam hall and turned in my last essay which I finished around 7am and am right proud of. Got back my really difficult essay on MND/ALS; aced it. The only complaint was a lack of figures and "headings/subheadings," the latter of which I'm chalking up to stylistic differences between UK and US paper writing. Stepped outside to go home, directly into the first snowfall of the year; giant, perfectly formed flurries falling straight down in the absence of any wind at all.

Got inside, had a chat about where to visit in the UK with the housekeepers, and made a nice cup of Darjeeling. Now, I'm enjoying the quiet and my tea, and I'm about to buy the Louis CK special and fall asleep to it and banish this madness. Bonus points for my room being just warm enough to be comfortable, but just cold enough to be oddly enjoyable.

Later, I'll pack my backpack, and it's off to Dublin on an 11am flight tomorrow.

• Huzzah! Way to go, dude!
  • Huzzah! Way to go, dude!
  • Happy Tezuka Day to everyone and to all a goodnight :D
  • I scored a pristine copy of Panzer Assault (the board game, not the Xbox game). The guy was even so kind as to print out errata and include it with the game, and organize all the cards, AND even put each card in a sleeve. Awesome.
  • I scored a pristine copy of Panzer Assault (the board game, not the Xbox game). The guy was even so kind as to print out errata and include it with the game, and organize all the cards, AND even put each card in a sleeve. Awesome.
    That's one of those games that sits on my Dad's game shelf and looks really cool but I've never actually played. Is it good?
  • edited December 2011
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Happy Birthday
  • Happy Birthday
  • Happy Birthday
  • Happy Birthday
  • Birth anniversary congratulations are in order.
  • Happy Birthday