This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• After hearing horror stories of people switching to the HR/Payroll department that I'm in now and not getting paid on time, I find out that I'm not one of those unfortunate people.

Got paid at my new promotion level and also with the retention bonus from my previous department that I assumed I wasn't going to get. Alright. Extra monies to save for awesome things and pay bills.

(Although, I may have spent some money on cute canvas bags with kitties on them at the Azn mart yesterday. Don't judge me!)
  • edited April 2012
    Hustled my way into the microbio lecture after a lot of back and forth with advisers. Couple that with the neurobio classes I'm taking and the CS, neurobio, and systems biology stuff I'm going to work on over winter and next semester, and I'll have all the background I want to start working on neural engineering...
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Good to see someone's taking the initiative when it comes to cyborgs.
  • edited April 2012
    Cybernetics are just a stepping-stone. I'm interested in man-machine interfaces, personality constructs, biochips (think neural tissue/silicon hybrid processors, rather than the usual meaning of the word), and brain simulation, with the ultimate goal of consciousness uploading.

We're on the cusp of quantum computing; we have the one-atom transistor. Anything is possible.
  • Just realized I got a raise. I may still make barely enough to get by but every little bit helps.
  • Thanks to talking with some other students and awesome faculty here at RIT, I could be a part of the re-institution of an IT student organization on campus. Software Engineers and CS have their own similar organizations already, but the CS group doesn't do anything and the SEs seem to spend most of their time belittling the other majors anyway. Should be fun!
  • Yeah, the SSE tends to be comprised of massive assholes. There are exceptions, but even people I liked were turned to assholery through their influence.
  • Yeah, the SSE tends to be comprised of massive assholes. There are exceptions, but even people I liked were turned to assholery through their influence.
    At least the SSE last year, I'd agree. I talked to a few members about it, though, who raised the concern at a few meetings, and they're trying to work on it as a whole.

• Went to an art walk and drew things for money. Both one of the best artists at the show and a pretty girl I was spending the evening with had me sketch them something for a dollar, along with a few other (slightly less notable and generous) people.
  • Won $15 gamestop giftcard in my hall's Nazi Zombies tournament.
  • edited April 2012
    There was a successful Airsoft game at my house. Everyone has a decent gun, a sidearm, full BDUs, and a sense of tactics. I think we've got the makings team here. Look out Fulda Gap, The Goonsquad is coming.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I really want to try playing airsoft with simunition guns.
  • Went to a Homestuck meetup on Friday for 4/13. Not that it was incredibly amazing in itself but it was interesting being the first 'meetup' anything I've gone to.
  • Going on a productivity kick to conclude senior year. Just deleted my facebook, and it feels good. Also, if anyone catches me posting on this forum over the next month, please shame/insult/goatse spam me via personal message. I doubt it'll happen (I usually have excellent willpower), but I figured it makes things more exciting this way.

See you at the end of May, forumites!
  • There was a successful Airsoft game at my house. Everyone has a decent gun, a sidearm, full BDUs, and a sense of tactics. I think we've got the makings team here. Look out Fulda Gap, The Goonsquad is coming.
    Ha! That sounds pretty awesome. I'd do that, aside from the fact that my house is tiny and all my neighbors would call the police.

What "decent guns" were there? I've got a game coming up next weekend, and am curious.
  • edited April 2012
    I spent all of yesterday slogging through an outdoor match in Long Island. About a square mile of hilly woodland and thorny underbrush, in unseasonable heat. With about 30lbs of gear. Phew.

We did set up some amazing ambushes, though, and ran flanking maneuvers as a four-man fireteam that probably won us the game.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I spent all of yesterday slogging through an outdoor match in Long Island. About a square mile of hilly woodland and thorny underbrush, in unseasonable heat. With about 30lbs of gear. Phew.

We did set up some amazing ambushes, though, and ran flanking maneuvers as a four-man fireteam that probably won us the game.
    Nice! Last time I played, my LMG was proved to be worth every dollar. I've also managed to do some decent ambushes and ninja shit. I'm trying to decide what I will bring next weekend, gear wise. It's gonna be hot, and I'd rather not sweat to death. I'll probably bring my USP Compact as a sidearm and my M4 sans grenade launcher as the main weapon.

Should be fun, although I've only got one mag for the pistol. Definitely a backup.
  • I actually lost my pistol mag, somewhere between taking cover in a downed tree and running a frontal assault on one of the best airsoft teams in the United States (a harrowing experience).

I'm not sure what I should do about pistol mags. I'm getting one of these to put on a battle belt (and leave my legs free), but I'm worried something might hit the magazine catch if I land/roll on it. Mags for my pistol cost about $30, so I'd prefer not to lose too many.

I was thinking of running an unloaded pistol with a mag in a dedicated pouch, and loading/cocking it if I need it, but that changes the use case of my sidearm (from "use instead of reloading main gun" to "use if main gun breaks/runs out of mags"). What do you think?
  • As far as gear, run whatever is most comfortable for you. Definitely get something that can hold the pistol and an extra mag (what you linked to should be fine), but do whatever is comfortable.

A lot of people like drop leg holsters. I tried running with one and it was the most uncomfortable thing ever. I just couldn't get it to where it either wasn't cutting off circulation or falling down.

So instead, I run a cross draw vest, which a lot of people don't like since it's not that easily configurable. It does keep the pistol close, has space for plenty of mags and holds my camelbak easily enough. Plus it was cheap.

For the pistol problem.. meh. I keep my mag in my pistol because I don't want to have to fumble for it when I need it. Getting the pistol out of the holster still takes me awhile (fumbling with clasps) so for me the pistol is a backup for my rifle. Losing a magazine sucks though. Definitely get something to keep that mag in.
  • It looks like we'll be able to change the locks on the apartment after all. Assuming my current roommate is on board, we'll probably go ahead and get that done sometime this week.
  • A lot of people like drop leg holsters. I tried running with one and it was the most uncomfortable thing ever. I just couldn't get it to where it either wasn't cutting off circulation or falling down.
    Most people probably wear the holster way to low. If there's room on your belt for the pistol, that's where it belongs

• I am vaguely concerned by why someone would need this video with a real gun.. medkit?

Also, good video. The only question I'd have is where would the top strap be with that holster so low? I'll keep playing with it to see if I can get it working a bit better.
  • edited April 2012
    I am vaguely concerned by why someone would need this video with a real gun.. medkit?
    To be honest, 80% of what you see in Travis Haley and Chris Costa videos isn't useful for your regular Joe Bloggs. But they are fun to watch, and people sure as hell buy them, thus why they keep making them.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Also, it will probably be useful when I take up my career as a Blackwater operator. Just gotta finish debugging this stuff first.
  • Also, it will probably be useful when I take up my career as a Blackwater operator. Just gotta finish debugging this stuff first.
    Oh yeah. That sorta conscientious attitude will serve you well in your new life as a mercenary.

Then again - at least in the US - the market for people who if you proposed the idea of joining blackwater, or one of the other big mercenary companies and would say "Yeah, I could do that" eat this shit up, thinking that's how you have to be to be a real badass high speed low drag operator, oorah, when a lot of this stuff(not necessarily Costa or Haley, I'm speaking of the general market) is simply designed to make these sorta people shit themselves with glee. And let's face it, it's not the worst business move, because the ROI on these is high not just for yourself, but for whatever company you're with at the time.
  • My father is a gun nut, and when he was in the army he would practice quick drawing his pistol until crazy fast. He has photos with the camera set to half or quarter second exposure, and he'd wait until he heard the start of the exposure, and then begin to draw, and have the gun up and fired inside the same frame.

Also he told me about a party trick where someone would hold a folded belt in a loop in front of him, and he'd have the gun in his holster by his side. The person would pull their hands apart to close the loop of the belt, and his gun would be in the middle of the belt before it slapped shut. That probably makes no sense, but once you understand the trick, it's a good one.

His quick draw saved his life, and the lives of others, but only when on active duty.
  • edited April 2012
    Then again - at least in the US - the market for people who if you proposed the idea of joining blackwater, or one of the other big mercenary companies and would say "Yeah, I could do that" eat this shit up, thinking that's how you have to be to be a real badass high speed low drag operator, oorah, when a lot of this stuff(not necessarily Costa or Haley, I'm speaking of the general market) is simply designed to make these sorta people shit themselves with glee. And let's face it, it's not the worst business move, because the ROI on these is high not just for yourself, but for whatever company you're with at the time.
    Fucking Tacticools, man.
  • I have, more than once, trolled the people who follow my work by sticking a bunch of tactical rails full of shit on my concept art and watching the gun nerds rage. It's pretty funny, but they've long caught on unfortunately.
  • Then again - at least in the US - the market for people who if you proposed the idea of joining blackwater, or one of the other big mercenary companies and would say "Yeah, I could do that" eat this shit up, thinking that's how you have to be to be a real badass high speed low drag operator, oorah, when a lot of this stuff(not necessarily Costa or Haley, I'm speaking of the general market) is simply designed to make these sorta people shit themselves with glee. And let's face it, it's not the worst business move, because the ROI on these is high not just for yourself, but for whatever company you're with at the time.
    Fucking Tacticools, man.
    Oh yeah. From a business perspective it makes all sorts of sense. I've seen dudes at the range wearing drop leg holsters and whatnot. There's probably also a sad contingent who think that this stuff will be useful when the end times are upon us.

Also, there's dinguses such as myself who pretend to be army mans in the woods with bb guns. I know a few dudes who salivate over the latest high speed low drag stuff.