This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• I have, more than once, trolled the people who follow my work by sticking a bunch of tactical rails full of shit on my concept art and watching the gun nerds rage. It's pretty funny, but they've long caught on unfortunately.
    As you well should. It's pretty funny to watch them twist themselves further and further into a rage because you're not writing and illustrating a Treatise of modern military armament.
    Also, there's dinguses such as myself who pretend to be army mans in the woods with bb guns. I know a few dudes who salivate over the latest high speed low drag stuff.
    I'm cool with that, it's fun as hell.
  • Last-minute taxes submitted. Woo!
  • New couch!
  • GeoGeo
    edited April 2012
    Something potentially promising has occurred. Today at my community college, we had a career fair and I decided to poke around since I had a class to attend in about 30 minutes. I looked around and I stopped at a table that advertised about internships in a creative environment and I talked with the lady at the table. I told her what I was shooting for in terms of a career path and she said that she might be able to get an internship for me based on my interests (the fill-out form specifically stated an option called that was something along the lines of YouTube Video Production or something like that).

I just have to wait to hear back from them in about 5 days. I'm very excited and I hope things turn out well!
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Oh, Community College!
    It bring memories of an awesome time. It was not as awesome as the epic sit-com. But those were great time nonetheless (cheap tuition FTW).
    Good luck!
    Also, I got an interview for a Research Associate in a Clinical laboratory within my company. I love QC and my co-workers but this new position makes me feel excited :D
  • I finally decided to mess around with the buttons and toggles on my tablet. I can now change my brush size, undo and redo, copy and paste all without touching my keyboard!

Today I visited Maho Beach, a unique spot I've wanted to visit for years. It was the perfect place to shoot some video for my juggling/travel video series.

As it happens, I'll be back on the Sint Maartin/Saint Martin island in a few days time, so I'm going to go back to the beach for more photography and movie opportunities.
  • I just received a conditional offer to do a masters in Advanced Computer Science at Cambridge next year.

It's somewhat daunting, and I'm not entirely sure Cambridge will be quite my cup of tea, but I should be going to take a look around in a month or so!
  • I just solved a rubics cube in under a minute.
  • Game night went pretty well last night. Only two simultaneous games going on at the max, but it worked. Now to figure out if I can make that a more common thing...
  • I was just looking at Luke's photo and comparing it to my photos from my trip. I made some serious improvement! I really need to start taking ISO into greater consideration, I think, rather than just working with aperture and shutter speed. Also started learning about multiple exposures; I'm going to start working on HDR shots this week.
  • edited April 2012
    Fuckin Aye! I'm on EqD again!
    It was for the "Work in Progress" version of this video:

Though, I personally wish it was for this video:
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • That photo is a still from a video. All the settings are totally automatic.
  • That photo is a still from a video. All the settings are totally automatic.
    Now I just feel like an idiot.

• Got a first in an essay. Feels good.
  • CLOSED THREE PENNY OPERAA WHOOOOO.
    Also I saved someone's life today. So that's pretty nifty.
  • May be able to get tuition waived (or at least some portion of it) since I'm a university employee!
  • Also I saved someone's life today. So that's pretty nifty.
    Details?
    Whoa! I didn't know you were stage managing Brecht! SO cool.

Also, life saving? Do fill us in.
    Whoa! I didn't know you were stage managing Brecht! SO cool.

Also, life saving? Do fill us in.
    Yeah, the show was awesome and all, but we had a lot of complaints that the director was too Musical Theater about it and not Brechtian enough. When Brecht isn't Brechtian enough, you KNOW you have a problem. Regardless, we had a lot of great talent and the actors and crew did a marvelous job.

OKAY SO. In the Three Penny set there was a pivoting staircase that had to be pushed in and out during scene shifts. It's pretty wobbly regardless, but it locked in place by one bolt that had to be dropped into a hole drilled in the floor. No big deal, right? But since tech, the wood we use to build our flats has been warping, and EVERY SINGLE NIGHT after performances I've told my fellow Stage Managers that the wood is warping where the staircase pivots and everyone had just dismissed it as nothing.
    Well, during the scene shift into scene one, I went to push in the stairs and the wood had warped enough that the bolt of the lock and the hole in the floor wouldn't line up. I heard the curtain open as I was struggling with it so I flattened myself on the floor behind the staircase and braced it with my body.
    The reason I went to such great lengths to make sure the stairs stayed in place was that our Mr. Peachum, a six foot six monster of a man, DASHED up the stairs at full force during the scene. I figured also that if he saw me laying on the floor he'd know something was wrong. But no, no one actually noticed I was stuck back there, and since the stairs aren't closed in (you can see what's behind them) I couldn't move or get anyone's attention. So I had to hold the stairs in place of my own power while our giraffe of an actor ran up them so they wouldn't fly out from under him.

It was terrifying. The good news is, the stairs warped back in place by the force of the actor running up them, and we managed to get them to lock for the rest of the show. Everyone had already decided that if they didn't lock, I'd have to brace it by laying behind it again.

...and for the record, I'm still mad at how much I've gashed up my hands during the run of this production, and the fact that one of our crew members brazenly said the name of That Scottish Play during preshow.
  • and the fact that one of our crew members brazenly said the name of That Scottish Play during preshow.
    The nerve!
    And any running crew job that requires you to hide onstage sucks, but the job of holding the stairs doubly so.
  • and the fact that one of our crew members brazenly said the name of That Scottish Play during preshow.
    The nerve!
    And any running crew job that requires you to hide onstage sucks, but the job of holding the stairs doubly so.
    And the other ASMs, who know the Scottish Play anti-curse, REFUSED to decurse our crew. I was displeased. Having my hands gashed open twice in one night AND having the staircase lock jam I was incredibly unamused.

There was on hiding onstage job that was kinda fun: the stairs came into the scene while the curtain was open at the very end of the show, and I had to crawl along behind them, lock them in place, and DO A BARREL ROLL off the stage so I wasn't visible.
    The audience could totally see the top of my head if they knew where and when to look, though.
  • And the other ASMs, who know the Scottish Play anti-curse, REFUSED to decurse our crew. I was displeased. Having my hands gashed open twice in one night AND having the staircase lock jam I was incredibly unamused.
    My good luck charm is that as I step onto the stage, I say "Macbeth" to myself, And I whistle the can-can to myself while I'm dressing in the first costume of the night.

So far, nothing much happens. Except the odd bit of amusement when people attribute our success in good discipline in not saying the name of the Scottish play.

• And the other ASMs, who know the Scottish Play anti-curse, REFUSED to decurse our crew. I was displeased. Having my hands gashed open twice in one night AND having the staircase lock jam I was incredibly unamused.
    My good luck charm is that as I step onto the stage, I say "Macbeth" to myself, And I whistle the can-can to myself while I'm dressing in the first costume of the night.

So far, nothing much happens. Except the odd bit of amusement when people attribute our success in good discipline in not saying the name of the Scottish play.

The old wive's tale has proved pretty true in our theater, so we're all pretty jumpy about it. Then again, it could just be our theater and not actually the Scottish Play.
  • edited April 2012
    The old wive's tale has proved pretty true in our theater, so we're all pretty jumpy about it. Then again, it could just be our theater and not actually the Scottish Play.
    It's more likely that it's simply a self-fulfilling prophesy. "Oh, they said it. Well now we're gonna blow it." And then you do.
    Penn & Teller do the same thing.
    Among the most famous legends of Shakespeare performance is the deep-seated belief that there is bad luck associated with saying Macbeth’s title in a theater, and, as a result, actors and directors often refer to the play by euphemisms like “the Scottish play.”

Teller was having none of that for his “Macbeth,” as well as taking the time to violate any other old theater superstition he could find: “On the night before we opened, I gathered everyone together and got them to go ‘good luck,’ ‘Macbeth’ and whistle in chorus. Another superstition is you must not have a peacock feather backstage. And my good partner Penn sent a bouquet of 50 peacock feathers, and every member of the cast and crew got one.”
    http://actualentertainmentdot.com/?p=953
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • The old wive's tale has proved pretty true in our theater, so we're all pretty jumpy about it. Then again, it could just be our theater and not actually the Scottish Play.
    It's more likely that it's simply a self-fulfilling prophesy. "Oh, they said it. Well now we're gonna blow it." And then you do.
    Penn & Teller do the same thing.
    Among the most famous legends of Shakespeare performance is the deep-seated belief that there is bad luck associated with saying Macbeth’s title in a theater, and, as a result, actors and directors often refer to the play by euphemisms like “the Scottish play.”

Teller was having none of that for his “Macbeth,” as well as taking the time to violate any other old theater superstition he could find: “On the night before we opened, I gathered everyone together and got them to go ‘good luck,’ ‘Macbeth’ and whistle in chorus. Another superstition is you must not have a peacock feather backstage. And my good partner Penn sent a bouquet of 50 peacock feathers, and every member of the cast and crew got one.”
    http://actualentertainmentdot.com/?p=953
    Considering that a lot of the things that have gone wrong were technical faults in no way influenced by human error at the time of the production itself, I beg to differ. Causation vs. correlation? Sure. But not really self-fulfilling.
    During Merry Wives of Windsor, we had gaffe tape catch fire the night one of the actresses said the Scottish Play's title in the theater. We had a lot of freak accidents during Oklahoma, too, but I submit that the weekend as a whole was cursed since that's the weekend we got in the car wreck.
  • edited April 2012
    Sure, it's only partially a self-fulfilling prophecy, but there are a number of other effects at work as well, particularly cognitive biases (especially confirmation bias) and statistical effects such as sampling bias and inadequate sample sizes.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • No more death penalty in Connecticut.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/25/justice/connecticut-death-penalty-law-repealed/index.html?hpt=hp_t3
    Talked about that (sorta) on FNPL tonight with Kate, Fred (omnutia), and Nelson (Yoshokatana).

• GeoGeo
    edited April 2012
    I finished editing my first multitrack podcast (Cage Rage) today after a week of figuring out how that skillset worked.

Luke Burrage wasn't kidding when he said it sucked balls to edit multitrack, because it really did. But I came out alive in the end, so I guess I should cheer more than I should jeer.
    Post edited by Geo on