This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• OK I'm a little weirded out.

I upgraded my phone OS, and my phone got WAY FASTER and the animations/transitions got WAY SMOOTHER.

As a long time Apple customer, I know this isn't how it's supposed to work. Android be up to some shenanigans.

• Android be up to some shenanigans.
    Improving code on the kernel level does that for you on a device that runs better with that flavor of OS that you are running.
  • I just got my new laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad W530) in the mail today! Goodbye slow outdated crap computer and hello, Thunderbolt supporting, i7 processor sporting, awesomeness!
  • edited July 2012
    [EDIT] NEVERMIND, ALL MY FEELS
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Do you mean the reunion thing? Because that's just a TV special, not new episodes.
  • edited July 2012
    Turns out it's just one source reporting this and everyone in the comments is thinking that they misinterpreted something that was said.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I just got my new laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad W530) in the mail today! Goodbye slow outdated crap computer and hello, Thunderbolt supporting, i7 processor sporting, awesomeness!
    Got mine around the same time. For about a week before that I had to make do with a netbook that only ran non-persistent Ubuntu off a USB and a desktop with no wireless card or ethernet drivers. Now I have an i7, 1080p screen, and a dedicated graphics card, just in time for Steam summer sales. Life is good.
  • It's sooo nice to not be eating junk food. ^_^
  • I just made a LinkedIn profile
  • Graduation ceremony complete!
  • A friend gave me two GTX 295 cards for free this weekend. FOR FREE.
  • Good, go build Lyddi a gaming 'puter.
  • I already did that! She's been playing Morrowind all weekend!
  • Ok, well umm... Build me a HTPC!
  • edited July 2012
    What's the public opinion on the GTX295? My little cousin is building his first gaming rig, and I'm trying to pull off Rym's boast of the $500 God of Gods. He'd probably be willing to pay for one of those cards.

I think the best part about the whole Console-to-PC porting trend for AAA is that I've had my tower for almost three years and it's still running new games at top spec. I don't expect to need an upgrade until the next console cycle, and even then I'll probably only upgrade my GPU. Of course, there're exceptions (Max Payne 3, Crysis) that require lots more power for the PC versions, but they're the exception and definitely not the rule. I booted Skyrim last night and it auto-calibrated to High Settings. Feels good, man.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I already did that! She's been playing Morrowind all weekend!
    With mods to make it extra purdy ^_^ Yay gaming!
  • I booted Skyrim last night and it auto-calibrated to High Settings. Feels good, man.
    I don't trust those auto-calibrations one bit. If I did I would run most of my games about 60 frames per minute.

• What's the public opinion on the GTX295? My little cousin is building his first gaming rig, and I'm trying to pull off Rym's boast of the $500 God of Gods. He'd probably be willing to pay for one of those cards.
    Old-gen high-tier cards are rarely a good buy, but it all comes down to the price.
  • What's the public opinion on the GTX295? My little cousin is building his first gaming rig, and I'm trying to pull off Rym's boast of the $500 God of Gods. He'd probably be willing to pay for one of those cards.
    Here's a pretty recent "build" in that general price ballpark:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/23204/2

If you prefer nVidia, the next page mentions the GTX 460 1GB as the alternative.

Personally my build would be a bit different, but also obviously more expensive. And I won't be doing a rebuild till next year most-likely.
  • edited July 2012
    So, last Saturday I got fired from my job. By Tuesday, I had three freelance clients and an offer from a pretty cool webdesign shop. I start Monday.

Kids, be a techie. It's a good career move.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I'm down to 220 and still losing weight. Woo exercise!
  • I'm down to 220 and still losing weight. Woo exercise!
    I'm nearly to 170. *high five*

I'm shocked I didn't gain weight working CTcon, I ate crappy fried food the whole con.
  • Yeah, con food aside, you spend the whole day pacing around, on your feet, doing work. That means that you probably walked a few miles every day, plus you were active for hours at a time. Not too shabby.
  • I was too paranoid to leave my booth in my daughter's hands, and even moreso about my brother, so I got no exercise AND ate con and fast food all weekend. (sad trombone) :-)

Anyway, on to the Boo Yah! A local jeweler/shop owner is not only taking a bunch more of my copper work on consignment, but she loaned me her double barrel, 6 pound tumbler. I'm running it right now and I can already see that it's going to save me HOURS of manual(ish) polishing. I'm going to run it all night and see if I get the rounded edges I'm hoping for.
  • No rounded edges. I think I need to add more grit to my media.
  • Moved into Bentley College for my next two weeks of teaching (at Harvard), and I have my own room.
  • The new Podcast app for iOS finally has the ability to automatically download new episodes to your device.
  • edited July 2012
    The new Podcast app for iOS finally has the ability to automatically download new episodes to your device.
    I would use it, but it's kinda annoying - it has no easy way to distinguish between which podcasts on your device have listened and unlistened episodes - for example, if I've listened to the latest Geeknights, it looks identical to before I listened to that episode, which also looks identical to if I had one episode I listened to, and one I didn't.

OOOOOR I might just be stupid, but still.

Edit - Yeah, I was stupid. It does, but only if you put it in list mode, rather than icon view.
    Post edited by Churba on