This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• edited May 2013
    I work at an International School in Korea. We have an ESL program after school designed to help local students in the rural community who get very little exposure to English. My three-year program is designed to take elementary students with very little knowledge of English to a late intermediate/early advanced level by the end of the third year in preparation for them taking the standardized English tests when they reach middle school.
    I'd gathered as much from previous posts. I'm working in ESL too and I'll be going abroad once I get my fancy piece of paper that says folks should pay me more. That said, I don't like the thought of curriculum development, and immersive English instruction in rural Korea is a hell of a claim, so I'm rather interested in hearing what details you care to divulge.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • It is an ambitious project, for sure, but after seeing how well the immersion environment has worked in my first grade class, it feels like an achievable goal. We have had several Korean students of varying grade levels transfer into our school since January who hardly knew any English at the beginning; however, in just a few short months, their English has improved dramatically, and part of that is definitely due to our English-only policy. If you want to converse on the subject, feel free to ask about any specifics, I always enjoy talking about it.

As far as curriculum development goes, that's actually what I prefer doing. I really don't find being a daily teacher to be the most rewarding job (though it has its enjoyable times), but being able to put together documents, systematize three-years of learning with scaffolded instruction and assessments, research language and education theories, consult with college professors, analyze ESL students in hopes of seeing why they struggle in certain areas... well, that's what I find thrilling, at least, haha.
  • Got myself a pretty sweet raise today. Now I'm almost making as much as I would be at a real company!
  • lol @ gamedev
  • Graduated today.
  • w00t!
  • GeoGeo
    edited May 2013
    w00t!
    YEAH! Congrats Ryan! May your internship at Disney blossom into a full career that will last forever.

Post edited by Geo on
  • edited May 2013
    I got to meet the Pet Shop Boys while they were in-studio at the station today! They signed my copy of "Actually"!
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited May 2013
    Took a lengthy break from the FRCF due to some stuff I've been working on, which has all been wrapped up as of today. Applicable Booh Yahs:

1) Graduated with a BS in Molecular & Cellular Biology
    2) Apartment at the epicenter of Chicago's coolest neighborhood
    3) Job offer that should take care of the lifestyle I desire
    4) Enough money saved to buy myself a compact woodshop and build a stock portfolio
    5) Investing in a luxurious sectional sofa as my first piece of real furniture

I'm finally starting to feel like a successful adult. :,,,)
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Congrats!
    I would also invest on an ottoman, they are kind of cool too.
  • Do you mean the furniture, or the empire? Based on what WuB posted, seems like both are on the table.
  • It would be totally rad if the furniture had an empire. A bunch of ottomans (ottomen? ottomens?) lounging about, conquering the Byzantine Empire with a janissary corps of conscripted armchairs. I would consume that media, in whatever format in came in.
  • edited May 2013
    Scored a $200 home espresso machine at a yard sale for $20. Came with all the specific parts and I can get things like jugs elsewhere.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • It would be totally rad if the furniture had an empire. A bunch of ottomans (ottomen? ottomens?) lounging about, conquering the Byzantine Empire with a janissary corps of conscripted armchairs. I would consume that media, in whatever format in came in.
    I'm pretty sure there was an episode of The Tick cartoon that was not entirely unlike that.
  • Scored a $200 home espresso machine at a yard sale for $20. Came with all the specific parts and I can get things like jugs elsewhere.
    NICE. I'd be ecstatic if I were you, and not just because of the caffeine.
  • So, I just found out that "The Venture Brothers" is on Netflix instant streaming.
    XD
    I'm pretty sure there was an episode of The Tick cartoon that was not entirely unlike that.
    There is. It is exactly like that.

• edited May 2013
    [becoming an awesome adult]
    Niiiiiiice.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Got a bunch of 4gig sd cards for 99 cents a piece! Now I just have to put them in stuff.
  • edited May 2013
    Got a bunch of 4gig sd cards for 99 cents a piece! Now I just have to put them in stuff.
    I pretty sure theres a thing where you can shove micro SD cards in it and it combines them into one storage volume.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Got a bunch of 4gig sd cards for 99 cents a piece! Now I just have to put them in stuff.
    I pretty sure theres a thing where you can shove micro SD cards in it and it combines them into one storage volume.
    There is, I've got one that converts 2 micro SD into 1 memory stick pro duo for my psp, but unfortunately these are only regular SD. Still couldn't pass them up for a buck a piece.
  • I have about 80 bank zip discs and a zip drive.. thinking of making an indie game and selling it in a stall next to hipster band people who use cassettes.
  • 6 weeks later, someone has logged in a second time to watch my password-protected King of the Nerds audition tape, which means I must have made it past the initial screening.
  • Today we made box forts:

• Cute gif :3
  • You two are awesome and adorable in that.
  • love it
  • The selling of my old car. It was kind of like handing my grandfather's old rusted longsword off to a young kid before I took my new one out to slay a couple dragons (and possibly die heroically).
  • Finally have decent internet again after the move. Fuck off, DSL, I'm finally back on decent cable again. Bonus - It's even better than my last cable connection.

Less-than-bonus - still not in an area that'll be getting the NBN pretty much ever, and my current connection is already faster than the coalition alternative.
  • NBN... Can't unthink Netrunner.