This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• Fun fact - saying "Sugar cookie" in Finnish makes me giggle pretty much 100% of the time.
  • Thanks everyone. I'll post my pre-defense presentation slides when it's all over.
  • edited October 2013
    What I did today while Timo was refining our understanding of the universe.
    It will never overheat again.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • You watercooled a GPU?
  • Yup, got it on sale, seems to be working great.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2013
    Finished my first short film script that wasn't a writing exercise.

More specifically, I am actually going to be shooting this with an actual cinematographer and trained actors.

I am so excited about this!

Post edited by Geo on
  • Here it is once installed, tested and I re-jiggered the fans. I got one adapter to run a full size 4-pin fan from the graphics card which caused the fan to run a little slow due to the old fan using a lower voltage, so I added in my other adapter which takes the PWM signal wire and power from a molex connector (Which has plenty of power coming from the PSU.) then runs the radiator fan, pump and side-of-case fan, speeding up when the GPU gets hot.
    The CPU and top fan run from the same plug and increase speed with the CPU heat.
    Very quiet and no more overheating in games. Cost about half the equivalent air-cooler.
  • I got a gig! Yay! Work from my agent dried up for a few months, so this is only my second gig since May. As a self employed entertainer, severely reduced work for 6 months really gave me the shits, considering it's the first time that has happened since about 2004.

Also I worked loads more last year to pay for a two person five week trip to Africa, plus loads of other home stuff, so my tax bill for 2012 is going to take a nice bite out of my savings. At least due to my not earning much this year I'll probably get a tax refund, as I prepaid for 2013 based on my 2011 income. Or something. Anyway, it's nice to have known money coming in.
  • edited October 2013
    So this happened!
    If I worked in a profession that actually payed monies, I would have had Luke perform at my festivities :-).
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • You get a hat with your PhD?
  • Off to found a colony in the Americas?
  • edited October 2013
    You get a hat with your PhD?
    I had to buy that sucker myself (well, I went and got fitted for it, my dad actually picked up the bill). And I only get to officially wear it after I attend my promotion (read three day drunken orgy) next summer.

Oh, and I also get a sword
  • Getting a PhD in Finland is AWESOME.
  • edited October 2013
    Is the sword sharp? If not, any plans to fix that problem? How's the fit, finish and balance?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Getting a PhD in Finland is AWESOME.
  • edited October 2013
    Is the sword sharp? If not, any plans to fix that problem? How's the fit, finish and balance?
    The sword is a big phoney :-(. The history of it is not though, during the times (in the 1800s) that the russian empire controlled Finland the right to bear arms was very tightly regulated.

Also, I will not attempt to sharpen it. Besides that probably not being possible, I have held a fully functional one-and-a-half-handed sword one time and that was scary as shit and enough to last me a lifetime :-).
  • Is the sword sharp? If not, any plans to fix that problem? How's the fit, finish and balance?
    The sword is a big phoney :-(. The history of it is not though, during the times (in the 1800s) that the russian empire controlled Finland the right to bear arms was very tightly regulated.
    Think of the bright side you can act like a Russian and perform shots off that sword.
  • Is the sword sharp? If not, any plans to fix that problem? How's the fit, finish and balance?

Also, I will not attempt to sharpen it. Besides that probably not being possible, I have held a fully functional one-and-a-half-handed sword one time and that was scary as shit and enough to last me a lifetime :-).
    Well, fair enough then.

Hey, if you only get a bachelors, do they just give you a knife?

• edited October 2013
    In Finland you get a knife when you learn how to walk! Seriously though I have some pictures where I gut my first fish at age 4.
  • edited October 2013
    In Finland you get a knife when you learn how to walk! Seriously though I have some pictures where I gut my first fish at age 4.
    And just when I was starting to think we had nothing in common. Never been much of a fisherman, though. Just not my thing, I suppose - if I'm going to sit in the sun and drink beer, I'll do it with a book rather than a rod.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I WANT A FUCKING SWORD GOD DAMN IT!
  • When I was in Zimbabwe last year I went to see some lion feeding session at a breeding program. They were fed all kinds of carcasses and offal. Everyone else thought the stink was disgusting, but for me it was a really nice smell.

The reason is that smells can be programmed in your brain to indicate good or bad feelings. As a child I would go out with my air rifle to hunt and shoot rabbits. When I killed one, I'd gut the rabbit immediately, and take the rest home. So for me the smell of herbivore animal guts became the smell of success! Nobody else had the same childhood as I did, and so for them the smell of guts was only negative.
  • I promised to share my slides, here they are. I probably should have taped the talk but I'll give a private lecture for anyone who wants to and can come to Helsinki :-).
  • I very much want to watch a video of this lecture based on those slides.
  • Sarah kicking ass in her tux for Homecoming on Saturday:
  • AmpAmp
    edited October 2013
    Saved a dudes life this morning. The paramedics said it seemed he had had a massive stroke. He started chocking on his tounge and had broken a load of bones from falling off his bike. Sorted most of it out and handed over to the paramedic when they came. Felt so cool calmly walking out of the crowd of people.
    Post edited by Amp on
  • Going to pick Evan up from the train station right now! EFF YEAH!
  • It's fall!