This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• GeoGeo
    edited October 2013
    I just got a job! One of my teachers (the one who taught me filmmaking) is starting an avant-garde, artistic movement that is really weird and crazy with ambitions to become the next Andy Warhol (those were her words and not my usual hyperbole). She hired me as "The Writer". In other words I will chronicle everything they do, from happenings they stage to actual presentations/shows that they put on, as well as reviewing films that are relevant to the movement (such as French New Wave and other kinds of arty films) in a column called "Cinemature". Not only that, but she has also agreed to help support and put together any film I want to make with access to resources, equipment, talent, etc.

I cannot tell you how happy I am, because I was getting desperate due to a combination of jobs not coming in and and interviews not leading to anything. It's a great place to be.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • But you're getting paid, right?
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2013
    But you're getting paid, right?
    Yep. $10/hour for 25 hours a week.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Sounds great for part time! And you'll actually be doing stuff that is relevant to your interests.
  • Crushed that Japanese test.
  • First major code alteration that ran first time.
  • edited October 2013
    New headphones get!
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Pegu said:

New headphones get!

I love getting new headphones or music hardware, I like going through my music collection and listening to the subtle changes and sometimes also discover more detail in a song than you could originally hear.
  • I got eleven months and ten days gold from one reddit post. The same post is being republished, twice, by MSNBC's thegrio.com, and by the fucking Jim Crow Museum.

What the fuck.
  • edited November 2013
    Finally saw the Book of Mormon....in Orlando
    Post edited by Reol on
  • I got eleven months and ten days gold from one reddit post. The same post is being republished, twice, by MSNBC's thegrio.com, and by the fucking Jim Crow Museum.

What the fuck.

That's a really good post. I mean not as good as the stuff on r/gonewild, but it's pretty good.
  • Reol said:

Finally saw the Book of Mormon....in Orlando

ORLANDO! (Orlando!)
  • Replaced my wrecked Mazda 2 with a new Mazda 2. Thus ends a very stressful 2 weeks of my life.

What the fuck.

Well said. I like this statement especially - very succinct:

"It's a mockery, somebody who thinks that all you need to emulate this giant, deeply personal and nuanced concept of Blackness is some shoe polish."
  • I get to review another movie for publication! Ender's Game!

One more of my photos on a magazine cover!

I've written articles, workshops, reviews and columns for Kaskade for the last ten years, which is cool for me as a writer. As a juggler, though, I always hoped to be featured on the front cover. Who wouldn't want that? Then, as a photographer, I always hoped the editor would pick one of my images for the front cover.

So it's a great honor to have one of my photos on the front cover of the last ever Kaskade magazine. This is the last issue and I have the front cover photo and one of the two cover articles.
  • Raised $1,770 for local children's hospital (where my daughter had heart surgery) for Extra Life. Had ~20 people over my house for a 25-hour gaming marathon. Awesome time.

I put a lot of work into prepping the event, and I came away feeling like I spent a day at PAX, which is a great feeling. We had all sorts of stuff going on both in video game and tabletop form. We had a Tetris high score challenge (with prize) going pretty much the entire time for anyone that was stuck w/o a multiplayer game to join. Had some stations set up for harder to come by gaming experiences, such as Pac Man Vs. on the Gamecube, and an Atari setup w/ 4 working paddles to play Medieval Mayhem (a recent AtariAge homebrew title that is a new take on Warlords).

Also was the first time having a big group over my new house (just moved in last month), and it passed the test, so looking forward to doing this again in the future.

• Today, I was having a drink at one of the many bars down the street from where I live (I just moved in with my father after we sold the house and I now live a 10 minutes walk from Yale) and I struck up conversation with somebody when he noticed I was typing a screenplay up. We talked for a bit and I learned he is a guy who works with audio and has tons of audio equipment. I told him about the film I was working on and he liked the idea so much that he offered to be my sound guy for no charge. I almost hugged him because I desperately needed that an audio guy and this means I don't have to rent any equipment now!
  • Good for you, Geo.
  • Good for you, Geo.

If you lived nearby, I would hire you in a second. Know and remember this.

• Nah, man. I wouldn't the right guy for you. You need a on-set production sound guy with all the gear. I've got gear, but mine is all for studio sound and mixing.
  • Got a Nexus 5 today. I know it's a good/mediocre phone compared to what's top-of-the-line right now, but I was having occasional spotty connectivity issues that I am convinced was due to the lack of 4G. This was very annoying when using while it was also serving as the data for Glass, so it was worth the $100 I'll be out for the upgrade once I sell my Nexus 4.

My next actual contract upgrade will be up next fall, probably right as whatever sort of iPhone 6 device hits. If I'm not 100% in love with Android by then (I am very happy with it right now), I will def be considering switching back just to have a human hand-sized phone again.
  • I am debating on Nexus 5 or HTC One Google Play Edition for the next one.
  • Nah, man. I wouldn't the right guy for you. You need a on-set production sound guy with all the gear. I've got gear, but mine is all for studio sound and mixing.

Oh I know. You're the only I personally know who can both mix audio and do it well. That's what I'd hire you for.

• Coldguy said:

I am debating on Nexus 5 or HTC One Google Play Edition for the next one.

I would go Nexus 5 for pure Android experience.

I have a HTC One, I really like it and enjoy using it however this phone is very much geared for the HTC skin of Android, down to how the camera operates (to the point where it operates inefficiently with the Google Play edition as it is optimised far better for use with the HTC "Sense" camera software). Even the Sense based custom ROMs are preferred over more generic ROMs.

Main points

The button layout and permanent presence (of the buttons) is not pure Android.

The camera on the Nexus 5 is better if you want to use it for anything other than social media.

The HTC One has the better hardware specifications and has a subjectively more premium build quality but the Nexus has an incredibly low price for what you get and will give you the best pure Android experience.
  • I got my Viewsonic G Tablet running with a Jelly Bean ROM, no google apps and the Kindle app. It's basically a big, backlit kindle now. Now begins my book reading renaissance.
  • edited November 2013
    Had presentation/training session at my job today. Barely 6 months there and I'm training people! I received a lot of good compliments.

Yostuba&! Vol. 12 arrived.

Received a surprise package today from Jeremy.

BEST. MOST. PERFECT. PRESENT. EVER!

(Edit: Holy shit, the forum embeds instagram links to show images.)
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I found coffee that I can actually enjoy!
  • Aced my Japanese test.
  • My new crush got a fb. Now I have a way of contacting her outside of school.