This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• Thanks, guys! I'm really excited, this has been my dream since...7th grade? Yeah, pretty much.
  • RIT, where the cold winds blow
    Get yourself ready for the Ice and Snow
    Hustling through a labyrinth of brick
    Keep yourself warm or you might get sick
    Sick of the garbage plates, sick of gray sky
    So sick of the nerds that you just wanna die.

No, seriously I love RIT and I love game design. Good luck and don't let the quarter system kick your bum.
  • Nice, Axel!

I managed to drive back to Rochester ok. My oil didn't explode again, though my right headlight died. Poor car. I also might be getting a paycheck early (or, 80% of a paycheck early, or something). Either way I should start being not-dirt-poor soon!

Also, Emily is 100% correct.
  • Awesome Axel! It is my hope that by the time you get out, I will have a place where you can practice your skills. Not saying you have to, but it might happen. Like you, I don't want my childhood dream to die, I'm going to make it happen.
  • Awesome Axel! It is my hope that by the time you get out, I will have a place where you can practice your skills. Not saying you have to, but it might happen. Like you, I don't want my childhood dream to die, I'm going to make it happen.
    Yeah, I let my childhood dream die, I have regretted doing so ever since. I still have the chance to go back, but now life is looking at me in the eye and trying to get a band into the limelight is not as good of a life move as I thought it was as a teen.
  • I already live in Rochester, so I'm more than ready for the cold.
  • I recently bought this card called MyFrogz that pointed me toward an iPhone app. It gave me a code that would allow me to create my own custom iPhone case for free. I made it about 2 weeks ago, entered in the code, gave my address, and waited for it to come in the mail. Today, that day is here.

Here is my case.
  • Just wrapped up an awesome five hour conversation with a complete stranger I only met because we have a mutual friend (a guy I've known forever) on Facebook. I feel pretty warm inside.
  • Just wrapped up an awesome five hour conversation with a complete stranger I only met because we have a mutual friend (a guy I've known forever) on Facebook. I feel pretty warm inside.
    I would hope so, or you would have hypothermia. ^_~
  • My brother got into Drexel University with an $8000 Dean's Scholarship. I'm so happy for him!! But it's the first one he's gotten into, so we'll see what else happen.
  • Drexel is serious business, good for him.
  • Successfully stripped 98% of the old paint (just tints of blue/red on black left) and 30-40% of the old primer from all my old Warhammer figs. Tomorrow, I'll reassemble them and prime over the old coat.

I am immensely pleased, not just with the result of the cleaner (Simple Green! Non-toxic, non-harmful, environmentally friendly), but with all the moneys I just saved.
  • Successfully stripped 98% of the old paint (just tints of blue/red on black left) and 30-40% of the old primer from all my old Warhammer figs. Tomorrow, I'll reassemble them and prime over the old coat.

I am immensely pleased, not just with the result of the cleaner (Simple Green! Non-toxic, non-harmful, environmentally friendly), but with all the moneys I just saved.
    I saw an interesting trick, once, you get a harder paint, paint it on thick on the spots you want, then flake it off carefully with an exacto knife, and prime+paint over it - looks like painted over battle damage, dents, etc, etc.
  • I saw an interesting trick, once, you get a harder paint, paint it on thick on the spots you want, then flake it off carefully with an exacto knife, and prime+paint over it - looks like painted over battle damage, dents, etc, etc.
    I'll keep that in mind. Most of the battle damage I modeled was done directly to the resin with an exacto--bolter impacts, acid burns, claw gouges, that sort of thing.
  • I'll keep that in mind. Most of the battle damage I modeled was done directly to the resin with an exacto--bolter impacts, acid burns, claw gouges, that sort of thing.
    It's good for bigger stuff like that, but stuff where you just want it to look like there was a bit of paint burnt off and repainted, or painting over a dent, etc, etc - anything that's not big like a claw mark or a bolter mark, but just where it's meant to look like to-scale uneven layers of paint.
  • I got the writing job I applied for.
    Awesome! Can you give us any more details on what kind of writing job you applied for?
  • I saw an interesting trick, once, you get a harder paint, paint it on thick on the spots you want, then flake it off carefully with an exacto knife, and prime+paint over it - looks like painted over battle damage, dents, etc, etc.
    I'll keep that in mind. Most of the battle damage I modeled was done directly to the resin with an exacto--bolter impacts, acid burns, claw gouges, that sort of thing.
    A friend used to light a match and press it against the model so it goes out on the plastic leaving fragments of charcoal embedded in the plastic, looks like bullet damage.
    Awesome! Can you give us any more details on what kind of writing job you applied for?
    This website doing interviews, features, and reviews.
  • edited January 2010
    Awesome job!

I sent an email applying, but then they sent out an email to everyone who applied saying to send a resume, and all I had was a writing sample. What did you send when you applied?
    Post edited by whatever on
  • I sent you a message on FB with what I wrote for my app. I didn't even submit a writing sample, and what I did submit hardly resembed a traditional resume.
  • Started judo again today with my girlfriend. Feels great to be doing martial arts again after a few years away.
  • Started judo again today with my girlfriend. Feels great to be doing martial arts again after a few years away.
    I'll be rocking some systema and kenpo when I get to LA, I'm getting my silat on again in preparation. You're right, feels good man.
    I'll be rocking some systema and kenpo when I get to LA, I'm getting my silat on again in preparation. You're right, feels good man.
    I should learn a martial art. I won't always be able to talk my way out of situation.
  • edited January 2010
    I should learn a martial art. I won't always be able to talk my way out of situation.
    Even if you never have to "use it", martial arts are great for a lot of reasons. Great exercise, great motivation to exercise, good for your general confidence, and just fun.

EDIT: In a lot of ways, learning a martial art is just another geekery. In most martial arts (particularly grappling systems) there's an incredible amount of depth -- you can learn forever.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • It was my 16th Birthday on Wednesday! I've been too busy though to check the forums as much as I should. D:
  • I'll be getting back into Tae Kwon Do pretty soon; I'm hoping to get my 3rd dan before I go off to college. Hell, I've met so many people and learned so much that Tae Kwon Do is a viable career option if I need something to fall back on.
  • I should learn a martial art. I won't always be able to talk my way out of situation.
    We can teach you, grashoppah.
  • I should learn a martial art. I won't always be able to talk my way out of situation.
    We can teach you, grashoppah.
    But you should be willing to spend a few years learning, because it takes a while. I started Tang Soo Do as a white belt in 2004, and I got my 1st Degree Black Belt just last year.