This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• But you should be willing to spend a few years learning, because it takes a while. I started Tang Soo Do as a white belt in 2004, and I got my 1st Degree Black Belt just last year.
    Matthew, I'm a master of Pentjak Silat, and I'm good enough at krav maga to teach. I never said I was going to teach him Systema or Kempo.
  • I want to learn Muay Thai, but I don't think there are any Muay Thai lessons in my area. There are, however, BJJ lessons, and I might start taking those.
  • I want to learn Muay Thai, but I don't think there are any Muay Thai lessons in my area. There are, however, BJJ lessons, and I might start taking those.
    Excellent choices. Muay thai is great if you get a chance to do it (and you don't mind pain) and it's good to have a solid striking foundation, but BJJ is just a lot more interesting to learn. Even my muay thai coach said that you basically know everything after six months, and from then on it's just sharpening things up. With BJJ (or judo) you can learn forever. The big problem with BJJ is that it's so damn expensive -- I'd love to still do it, but I can't afford it. That, and BJJ has the best groundwork of any art, but no good way to get there. ;)
  • Driveshaft is out of my camaro, the transmission swap has begun.
  • edited January 2010
    The big problem with BJJ is that it'sso damn expensive-- I'd love to still do it, but I can't afford it.
    Illini BJJ Club - The only price for me is my time.

Sadly, there's only other clubs in various forms of Kung Fu, Karate, and Tae Kwon Do. I'm vastly more interested in martial arts designed for combat situations, or have by happenstance become recognized as extremely effective for such circumstances. I really wish there was a school in Krav Maga or Systema around.

EDIT: Well, I was misinformed. It's a jujitsu club, not BJJ. As it stands, we presently have judo, jujitsu, kendo, karate, wushu, and aikido. Aikido sounds awesome right about now, I'm not sure how effective it is in close combat, though.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Illini BJJ Club - The only price for me is my time.
    So it's free for you somehow? That's amazingly awesome. $100/month is a bargain for BJJ.
  • Illini BJJ Club - The only price for me is my time.
    So it's free for you somehow? That's amazingly awesome. $100/month is a bargain for BJJ.
    See my edit above, I got some incorrect information.
  • Aikido sounds awesome right about now, I'm not sure how effective it is in close combat, though.
    Very, if you work at it. It's a softer art, but make no mistake, It's pretty useful.
  • Aikido sounds awesome right about now, I'm not sure how effective it is in close combat, though.
    Very, if you work at it. It's a softer art, but make no mistake, It's pretty useful.
    Maybe I'll give that and jiujitsu a look, then.
  • Well, I was misinformed. It's a jujitsu club, not BJJ. As it stands, we presently have judo, jujitsu, kendo, karate, wushu, and aikido. Aikido sounds awesome right about now, I'm not sure how effective it is in close combat, though.
    Aaaaaaaaaaaah. Booty. In that case, I'd strongly recommend judo. Really, it's basically the same art as BJJ -- the techniques are all the same. The difference is that judo is about 80% throws and 20% groundwork, and BJJ is about 95% groundwork and 5% throws. BJJ is much more effective in MMA, but I'd have to say that Judo is probably more applicable to a real-life scenario. After all, last thing you want in a real fight is to be on the ground where the guy's buddies can kick your head in or stab you in the back.

As for aikido, all indications are that it doesn't actually work on anyone who isn't going to run straight at you and flip himself over when you grab his wrist.
  • edited January 2010
    All noted. There's also "Goshin Jitsu," but I have NO idea what that is.

EDIT: Apparently, it's some type of MMA system that has yet to be taught anywhere besides Champaign and Chicago.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • As for aikido, all indications are that it doesn't actually work on anyone who isn't going to run straight at you and flip himself over when you grab his wrist.
    I disagree. I'm not an Aikido guy, but Silat steals some moves from it, as well as the idea of re-directing force - For example, one of the throws(though, it's very loosely a throw) that we stole is the redirection of a lunging opponent involves, to put it in it's most basic terms, dodging the strike, grabbing the other dude by the back of the head, pulling them off balance and essentially throwing them face-first into the floor - I've had this done to me by my guru, and I will vouch for it's effectiveness.
  • As someone who has done been subjected to Aikido, it's much more general purpose. Also, you can assume someone will run at you if you're running away first.
  • I disagree. I'm not an Aikido guy, but Silat steals some moves from it, as well as the idea of re-directing force - For example, one of the throws(though, it's very loosely a throw) that we stole is the redirection of a lunging opponent involves, to put it in it's most basic terms, dodging the strike, grabbing the other dude by the back of the head, pulling them off balance and essentially throwing them face-first into the floor - I've had this done to me by my guru, and I will vouch for it's effectiveness.
    Fair enough. I've been doing a bit of quick research, in case I had to back up my hasty claim, and what I'm seeing from people who claim to have some experience is mostly that aikido has some effective techniques, but those are the same ones you'd learn in judo or BJJ, and that the rest is mainly bullshit.

In any case, I'd be unwilling to put my time into something that hadn't been proven effective one way or another -- muay thai, BJJ and judo have been proven effective by countless practitioners who have been successful in MMA, even in Brazilian Vale Tudo and early UFC fights when the rules were more or less just "no biting or eye gouging". I don't know that aikido can claim anything similar.
  • The rest is mainly bullshit.
    Name one Older art (20th century or before) that isn't 3/4 bullshit that you never use, and if you say BJJ, I'll call you a filthy liar, because I've seen the ceremonial bullshit and Impractical Sport competition moves in that just as much as anything else.
  • All of Giant Robo for $10.
  • I just marathoned all of Baccano because I started watching the box set and simply couldn't bear to stop.
  • Today I took part in an epic pitched snowball battle between Kreuzburg and Neukölln, two districts here in Berlin. I had a stupid amount of fun, both throwing snowballs and taking photos. Here's a guide to the size of the event:
  • Today I got emails asking to schedule an interview for two jobs I applied to in the last few weeks: Emagination Computer Camps counselor (this summer) and RIT dorm RA (next year). Potential booh yah!
  • The graphics card I bought yesterday went up by $10 today.
  • RIT just gave me a $12,000 a year academic scholarship. With this and any state aid that I will hopefully get, RIT will almost definitely become a reality.
    *Dances.*
  • I think I just nailed down my majors. WIN.
  • RIT just gave me a $12,000 a year academic scholarship. With this and any state aid that I will hopefully get, RIT will almost definitely become a reality.
    *Dances.*
    Congrats man, I hope you can make it and have a lot of fun.
  • Today I took part in an epic pitched snowball battle between Kreuzburg and Neukölln, two districts here in Berlin. I had a stupid amount of fun, both throwing snowballs and taking photos. Here's a guide to the size of the event:
    I forgot to post the video:
    *Dances.*
    Congrats man, I hope you can make it and have a lot of fun.
    Me too. Next year could be the beginning of the height of my life.
  • Miraculously got hotel reservation for PAX.
    Two more, and you get sainthood.
    Two more, and you get sainthood.
    What are the other two?
  • What are the other two?
    Two more miracles. It takes three miracles to be a saint. Because you miraculously got a reservation. So that's one miracle. Now you need two more.
  • What are the other two?
    Two more miracles. It takes three miracles to be a saint. Because you miraculously got a reservation. So that's one miracle. Now you need two more.
    Isn't getting a ticket to PAX another miracle?