This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• Wow, you're getting a consumer protection agency, welcome to the 20 centruy!
  • I operated and successfully bisque fired my student's clay projects for the first time ever. Also, I didn't burn the school down.
  • I just won an egg dropping contest, I now have a $200 prize that can be used at the University bookstore in my pocket. I won't have to pay for books next semester.
  • I just won an egg dropping contest, I now have a $200 prize that can be used at the University bookstore in my pocket. I won't have to pay for books next semester.
    All for the more or less worthless skill of being able to drop an egg in a superior way? I'm not sure if I should applaud this or weep.
  • All for the more or less worthless skill of being able to drop an egg in a superior way? I'm not sure if I should applaud this or weep.
    The objective was to build a device in which an egg could traverse the fifty or so feet from the top of the Physics building to the pavement without breaking. My entry was one of only two that succeeded in preventing the egg from shattering upon meeting asphalt.
    I have no desire to talk to you further, as you have disparaged the contest and by extension me in the "Booh yah!" thread of all places. You have managed to transform one of the few times I am happy and content into rage. Die in a fire and go to hell, you asshole.
  • I'm getting an award from the school for my work with the anime club, along with the secretary.
  • edited April 2010
    I just won an egg dropping contest, I now have a $200 prize that can be used at the University bookstore in my pocket. I won't have to pay for books next semester.
    All for the more or less worthless skill of being able to drop an egg in a superior way? I'm not sure if I should applaud this or weep.
    It's usually more of an engineering or science competition - Given a small amount of off the shelf materiel, how can you best protect the egg in your contraption?
    Usually, it's straws, tape, and sometimes popsicle sticks and paper. Best method I've found - Get the Maximum amount of straws possible, wrap the egg in the bag from the straws in as water-tight of a fashion as possible, then bundle the straws around it in layers, keeping the egg to the center, and wrapping tape at either end of the straw bundles every layer. You usually end up with a roughly football sized contraption that performs very, very well, as due to the shape, it tends to fall point down, or tumble, giving the egg a very good chance to survive.

Also, often they don't cut the contraptions apart to check the integrity of the egg, so wrapping the egg in the bag can mean victory, as it won't leak out everywhere, giving away that it's broken, even if your wrapping does accidentally fail in protecting the egg.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Got a check for 97 dollars from PAX East woot.
    Yeah, I got mine the other day. Always nice getting some money back.
    Got a check for 97 dollars from PAX East woot.
    Yeah, I got mine the other day. Always nice getting some money back.
    Enforcer hotel reimbursement, or something altogether more sinister?
  • Enforcer hotel reimbursement
    That's what they want you to think!
  • Enforcer hotel reimbursement
    That's what they want you to think!
    Obviously, Gabe and Tycho are paying people off to aid them in their phalico-game new world order.
  • Yea my opinion just increased 97% ;-p
  • Clearly, and this "gaming con" is a front for their youth indoctrination program.
  • Clearly, and this "gaming con" is a front for their youth indoctrination program.
    We are the Secret Society of the Order of The Wang. Ooops! I said too much.
  • All for the more or less worthless skill of being able to drop an egg in a superior way? I'm not sure if I should applaud this or weep.
    You're a cock.
    My entry was one of only two that succeeded in preventing the egg from shattering upon meeting asphalt.
    You kick ass.
  • Self portrait.

• Usually, it's straws, tape, and sometimes popsicle sticks and paper. Best method I've found - Get the Maximum amount of straws possible, wrap the egg in the bag from the straws in as water-tight of a fashion as possible, then bundle the straws around it in layers, keeping the egg to the center, and wrapping tape at either end of the straw bundles every layer. You usually end up with a roughly football sized contraption that performs very, very well, as due to the shape, it tends to fall point down, or tumble, giving the egg a very good chance to survive.
    When we had do to this for AP Physics in high school, that was the approach most people took. The way my group did it (and the way endorsed by the teacher after everyone had gone) was to cut the straws in half lengthwise and tie/tape them together, attach the egg at one end and lower it down.
  • Usually, it's straws, tape, and sometimes popsicle sticks and paper. Best method I've found - Get the Maximum amount of straws possible, wrap the egg in the bag from the straws in as water-tight of a fashion as possible, then bundle the straws around it in layers, keeping the egg to the center, and wrapping tape at either end of the straw bundles every layer. You usually end up with a roughly football sized contraption that performs very, very well, as due to the shape, it tends to fall point down, or tumble, giving the egg a very good chance to survive.
    When we had do to this for AP Physics in high school, that was the approach most people took. The way my group did it (and the way endorsed by the teacher after everyone had gone) was to cut the straws in half lengthwise and tie/tape them together, attach the egg at one end and lower it down.
    Now that is thinking outside the box.

• When we had do to this for AP Physics in high school, that was the approach most people took. The way my group did it (and the way endorsed by the teacher after everyone had gone) was to cut the straws in half lengthwise and tie/tape them together, attach the egg at one end and lower it down.
    Now that is thinking outside the box.
    Nope, I've seen it done with the crane method before too.
  • When we had do to this for AP Physics in high school, that was the approach most people took. The way my group did it (and the way endorsed by the teacher after everyone had gone) was to cut the straws in half lengthwise and tie/tape them together, attach the egg at one end and lower it down.
    True, it is a good method, but every time I've encountered one of these competitions, one of the rules is that you must have no contact with the egg in any form while it falls - including things attached to it, or holding it.
  • Wasn't so much a competition, but an assignment. Only rules were get it to the ground without breaking it using a dozen straws and three feet of tape.
  • I just got a Crobat...one level after it evolved into a Golbat. Is this a record?
  • What did I do before Google Sync?
  • What did I do before Google Sync?
    Had an excuse to miss a meeting?
  • I just got a Crobat...one level after it evolved into a Golbat.Is this a record?
    Did you pokewalker that shiz?
  • I just got a Crobat...one level after it evolved into a Golbat.Is this a record?
    Did you pokewalker that shiz?
    This is on a rom.
  • Then did you haxor it's gibson?
    No hacks at all. I swear to God.
    No hacks at all. I swear to God.
    I swear to Joe Pesci. He seems like a guy that if you broke that promise, he'd ruin your shit.