This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

• I seriously shouldn't have started Skyrim, I still have Dark Souls to finish!

Plus, I've been meaning to go back into some of my older games that I haven't played in a while. I think I'll make a day of playing Skygunner on one of my days off, this week...
  • I got really close to actually winning a Battletech game last night. The fucker's heavy gauss rifles ended me though.
  • Nobody should ever play Super Paper Mario for the Wii. It is an awful, awful game.
  • Nobody should ever play Super Paper Mario for the Wii. It is an awful, awful game.
    It's not bad, but it's nowhere near the quality of other Paper Marios. I never finished it.

Play Thousand Year Door for GameCube instead.
  • I like Super Paper Mario. It's not comparable to the other Paper Mario games. I just played it as a mediocre platformer with funny dialogue and a few interesting tidbits.
  • SPM's main villain and bosses are very well-designed, but nothing beats Thousand Year Door.
  • Alliance of Valiant Arms, Battlefield P4F, Prey and Crysis 2 with Dx11 update.
    Lookin' good :D

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/4066/cry2mp20111020034346.png
  • edited November 2011
    Alliance of Valiant Arms, Battlefield P4F, Prey and Crysis 2 with Dx11 update.
    Lookin' good :D

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/4066/cry2mp20111020034346.png
    As much as I loved the single player of Crysis 2, the multiplayer is a pain in the arse.

Post edited by Churba on
  • edited November 2011
    Nobody should ever play Super Paper Mario for the Wii. It is an awful, awful game.
    It's not bad, but it's nowhere near the quality of other Paper Marios. I never finished it.

Play Thousand Year Door for GameCube instead.
    I really like the direction it headed towards adventure/RPG rather than pure RPG, but certain elements just blew my mind with how they screwed with the player. I found myself hitting an FAQ a few times to discover the following horrors:
    - there was a part at one point where you literally just have to hold down the run button for FOUR MINUTES to spin a hamster wheel, earning currency to complete some objective.
    - a different part presented you with three unlabeled blocks. After just having a puzzle where you had to hit each one in a specific order, this follow-up puzzle had you hit the blocks twenty times in a very specific order.

There were a few other BS moments, but the above two were the ones that really caused my jaw to drop. I agree that Thousand Year Door was a much better game, but I think I may just be tiring of the Paper Mario stuff in general. I played Partners in Time on DS about 18 months ago and also got really sick of that game before I beat it.

As it stands I'm at the beginning of World 8-2 in Super Paper Mario so I'm going to beat it this week out of pure inertia.

Post edited by Matt on
  • edited November 2011
    You really can't compare SPM to 1000 Year Door, or even Paper Mario.
    SPM is an abysmal and frankly, offensive pile of crap (and a platformer to boot), while Paper Mario and even more so, 1000 year door are masterpieces.

In fact, you shouldn't compare SPM to anything except a steaming pile. Of which, it would look exactly the same. Fuck that game.
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • I just remembered I have Super Paper Mario for the Wii, but have yet to play it. I got it on sale and I also have Thousand Year Door, but have yet to play that as well.

I see that Virtual Console has the original Paper Mario for the N64 on there.

Should I start from there Paper Mario, or can I skip to Thousand Year Door?

I don't plan on starting these anytime soon, but would like some feedback.
  • edited November 2011
    I'd hazard to say that Thousand Year Door is the best of the three. So if you're going to play any, play that one.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I'd hazard to say that Thousand Year Door is the best of the three. So if you're going to play any, play that one.
    Truest words.
  • Will I be missing out on any possible canon Paper Mario storyline? Or just a few jokes or characters that aren't that important?
  • edited November 2011
    Will I be missing out on any possible canon Paper Mario storyline? Or just a few jokes or characters that aren't that important?
    There isn't any. Each game stands alone story-wise. It's not like the portable ones where Fawful keeps coming back.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Will I be missing out on any possible canon Paper Mario storyline? Or just a few jokes or characters that aren't that important?
    There isn't any. Each game stands alone story-wise. It's not like the portable ones where Fawful keeps coming back.
    This is true. Just start with 1000YD and marvel at how great Nintendo used to be. It's a 20-30 hour adventure so should give you a good fix. If you utterly love it and want more of the same, Paper Mario on the 64. THEN, if you really must just have one more hit, Bowsers Inside Story on the DS would be the go.

Yes I've played all 3. 1000 Year Door really is quite outstanding. Who knew that having mini quick time events on top of a JRPG battle system would be so sweet.

• I have played all the Mario & Luigi DS games. Partners in Time was my favorite.
  • Saints Row The Third is what Grand Theft Auto 4 should have been. Oh man, so much fun.
  • Saints Row The Third is what Grand Theft Auto 4 should have been. Oh man, so much fun.
    I'm actually pretty excited for GTA V. It looks like they're going back to the darkly humorous gangster stuff that made old-school GTA so awesome.

• edited November 2011
    Saints Row the Third starts with a Star Wars style credit scroll, followed by a Japanese energy drink commercial. You then rob a bank, everyone wearing giant Johnny Gat masks. This of course goes terribly wrong.

"How long till the helicopter arrives?"
    "I dunno, two waves of SWAT guys?"
    "That sounds about right."

You end up on a plane, kill everyone on it, jump out, and have a shootout while skydiving. Then you rob a National Guard armoury and escape in a helicopter with piles of munitions. Then the game starts for real.

I knew I had made a good choice when I started the game up and the menu displayed:

"Campaign"
    "Multiplayer"
    "Whored Mode"

I saw that, threw my hands in the air, and cried "GAME OF THE YEAR!"
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
    I'm usually the crazy guy who goes back and starts at Game #1 regardless of canon or not, but I never even played the original N64 Paper Mario. Is it worth playing? At this point I'll have played all Mario RPG-ish titles outside of that and Bowser's Inside Story

Speaking of which, I strongly urge anyone who has not played the actual SNES Mario RPG to go and do so!

• I'm playing so much Binding of Isaac. I finally beat Sheol for the first time today. Brimstone + chocolate milk is terrifyingly overpowered.
  • I'm playing so much Binding of Isaac. I finally beat Sheol for the first time today. Brimstone + chocolate milk is terrifyingly overpowered.
    Beat mom's heart for the second time recently. I'm taking my time.

Beat mom's heart for the second time recently. I'm taking my time.

Got a new computer recently. Game lost all my data, items, characters, etc, in the move.

LET'S KILL MOM'S HEART FIFTEEN TIMES AGAIN
  • What about steam cloud support?
  • Didn't work for some reason. Blank slate.
    I'm usually the crazy guy who goes back and starts at Game #1 regardless of canon or not, but I never even played the original N64 Paper Mario. Is it worth playing? At this point I'll have played all Mario RPG-ish titles outside of that and Bowser's Inside Story

Speaking of which, I strongly urge anyone who has not played the actual SNES Mario RPG to go and do so!

I started with the N64 Paper Mario. It's outstanding.

• Finished Uncharted 3 last night. Not quite as good as Uncharted 2, IMO, but still a really fun game with some ridiculous set pieces.
  • Super Mario 3D Land is total weaksauce. I submit this video I just left on my friend's Facebook wall as evidence:

• Not visible due to privacy settings.