This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

• Space jump is very easy to use. Wall jump, not so much.
    I can still to this day never do a proper wall jump.
    I've mastered it. You basically jump at the wall, then when samus puts her foot against the wall you push the opposite direction and jump again.

So jump right and hit the right-hand wall. When Samus displays the animation frame of having her foot against the wall, press left then jump. Then when you hit the left wall, right and jump.
    I've mastered it. You basically jump at the wall, then when samus puts her foot against the wall you push the opposite direction and jump again.

So jump right and hit the right-hand wall. When Samus displays the animation frame of having her foot against the wall, press left then jump. Then when you hit the left wall, right and jump.
    Yes, you have to press jump AFTER pressing away from the wall, that's the trick. You have about 1 second after you press away to hit jump. Press it to early and you fail.

Space jump is pretty tricky though. There is a rhythm to it. Especially changing directions mid-air... But yes, just in a straight line, it's ok.

• Noitu Love 2 Devolution is a real surprise. It's a mouse based beat-em-up and everything going on is super wacky.
  • I was wondering how that game was. A lot of those never heard of indie games in the daily deal I usually just gloss over quick but that one I kinda stopped and gave it some thought. I still have so many games I shouldn't be getting more though.
  • On the back of Super Metroid, I have decided to plow through Fusion and Zero as well. After Super, the controls in Fusion just SNAP.

Playing on the Micro. Small is beautiful.
  • Exploring the lands of Civ 5 mods. Right now I'm playing an A:TLA mod. Spawned as Fire Nation. I spent about 3000 years generating negative income and barely surviving barbarian invasion, until sometime around 500 AD when everyone decided to be spontaneously profitable. Still haven't met anyone else yet.
  • So I played Oblivion and "beat" it in that I completed the climax of the main quest.

Then I tried to play Dragon Age, and I got as far as a refugee village.

Both of these games are quite different, mechanically, but are both still choose your own adventure games. Oblivion does it mostly with freedom to move and explore different places to choose your adventure. Dragon Age does it mostly through dialog selection and choosing different routes along a story tree, like an actual CYOA book. Also, both of them have really good stories that are easy to get interested in and care about, if you pay attention.

Yet, both of them suffer the same exact problem. They tacked on a really shitty game you are forced to play. The Oblivion game of first person monster fighting is bad, but tolerable. By setting the game on easy the combat becomes mercilessly quick. Most guys just die in one or two hits and you can run straight through the boring ass dungeons. Also, since you only manage one guy, it's not too much work to get to the end. It also helped inventory management that I just used the armor of the cruasder the whole game. You put it back on the rack and it levels up and refreshes! The thing is Oblivion isn't really about you, it's about the world. You are just sitting in the shoes of the empty character of the great hero and you watch everything happen around you.

Dragon Age actually has characters, like a movie. Even your character (I picked the fighter dwarf criminal guy for simplicity) gets a personality based on the dialog choices. I made my guy super honorable and heroic and honest, #1 good guy. The problem is that the actual game is much much worse than the Oblivion game. Putting it on easy stopped me from dying, but it didn't take the pain away or make the game go any faster.

Still, things were progressing pretty quickly after lighting the beacon. I kicked some bandits out of town. I broke up a bar fight. Lots of interesting things in town. Then suddenly I had to manage the inventory for 4 characters. Well, fuck it. I'm not about to waste my time spreadsheeting, so that's the end of that. It completely took me out of the element. My desire to choose my own adventure was instantly and completely replaced by dread of micro-managing weapons and armor. So yeah, probably not going to play it again because just looking at it on the list in Steam fills me with dread.

Why don't these people just make fucking choose your own adventure games? They are really good at that! Don't tack on this godawful spreadsheet numbers action bullshit.
  • If they just listened to you those scrappy kids at Bioware and Bethesda could really go somewhere.
  • I think it's kinda interesting that for me things went other way around. I didn't bother Oblivion any further than the first Oblivion gate, but I played all of Dragon Age Origins.

One big problems with Dragon Age's combat was how in the beginning you didn't have much option in fights so it was really dull, and because your guys were weak the fights were kinda hard, but in the end game I was able to do all kinds of cool things. As a high level mage I was able to create plans as, "cause fire storm in a room full of enemies, when they run out freeze them and then throw exploding fireball shattering them." At that point I was able to destroy normal enemies trivially, but it was still fun because it made me feel really powerful and big exploding spells are just fun.

Also I felt quite differently about the protagonist in Dragon Age as Scott did. For me my mage was just mute and emotionless shell who, while taking to people, just stood there not a hit of emotion on her face and then with some telepathic manner told people what she wanted from them.
  • So I played Oblivion and "beat" it in that I completed the climax of the main quest.

I think I got stuck at the exact same part. What's the village called?

I think I got stuck at the exact same part. What's the village called?

It's Lothering, the first village in the game. I'm not "stuck" I just happened to at this moment look at all the shit I've picked up, and now I've got a bunch of permanent party members. It just happened that I realized at this moment what a huge pain in the ass it is to organize all this shit. It would almost be ok if I could just worry about my dwarf, and all the NPCs were 100% automatic NPCs. They're sort of automatic, but I really have no patience to customize their tactics. I just choose the basic whatever and let it go.
  • Meh. I enjoy managing my party's equipment. I like seeing them in the armor and weapons that I chose, picking their abilities, and setting their strategies. That is fun to me.
    But, to each their own.
  • edited August 2012
    Dragon age has an easy "do whatever the fuck you want" setting if you want. I actually enjoyed the game on hard and whatever the higher level was because it kept the game about tactics and such. It often took a couple attempts to figure out a viable strategy, though that often came down to basic bottle necks, tanks, healers, and dps.

Also, you may enjoy developing your AIs algorithms over pausing and deciding each action as the fights go on. I'm a bit curious which one you end up prefering.

The game I couldn't play through was Mass Effect. I didn't mind playing equipment manager extreme in Dragon Age, but Mass Effect never felt quite right to me regarding that.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • Meh. I enjoy managing my party's equipment. I like seeing them in the armor and weapons that I chose, picking their abilities, and setting their strategies. That is fun to me.
    But, to each their own.
    I don't mind doing it when it's X-Com style and is manageable. I mind when it's insanely complex and there are all these minute details. Seriously, this game lists damage of weapons using decimal points. Lots and lots of tiny icons and a paragraph worth of text for each item. The user interface and the unnecessary overcomplexity make it painful. In a game like Diablo it's totally easy and fun since you only have one guy, and it's largely obvious what is better and what is worse. It's also fun in games that just have auto-equip.

Also, adding more than one party member increases the complexity and annoyance exponentially. When you have one character to worry about all you need to do when you find an item is check if it is better than what you already have. If you have 3 characters, you have to check three times. Then, if you answered yes, you have to see if the equipment that character just removed is better than what another character already has. There's also the possibility that you answered yes more than once, and now you have to make all these extra decisions. But I don't care about that shit! I only care about stopping the Blight, and this is an irrelevant time wasting distraction.
  • That's why ME2 and 3 are better. No equipment managing.
    Some people miss that in the later games. I think they're idiots.
  • edited August 2012
    Dragon age has an easy "do whatever the fuck you want" setting if you want. I actually enjoyed the game on hard and whatever the higher level was because it kept the game about tactics and such. It often took a couple attempts to figure out a viable strategy, though that often came down to basic bottle necks, tanks, healers, and dps.

Also, you may enjoy developing your AIs algorithms over pausing and deciding each action as the fights go on. I'm a bit curious which one you end up prefering.
    I am playing on easy mode, so I never die, but I still have to manage the stupid inventory!

Also, I prefer neither the pausing nor the algorithms. They both suck ass. I want there to be no stupid combat game distracting from the really good choose your own adventure story. I want to spend 0 seconds of my life thinking about any combat system, and 0 seconds watching combat take place.
    Post edited by Apreche on
    But, to each their own.
    I don't mind doing it when it's X-Com style and is manageable. I mind when it's insanely complex and there are all these minute details. Seriously, this game lists damage of weapons using decimal points. Lots and lots of tiny icons and a paragraph worth of text for each item. The user interface and the unnecessary overcomplexity make it painful. In a game like Diablo it's totally easy and fun since you only have one guy, and it's largely obvious what is better and what is worse. It's also fun in games that just have auto-equip.

Also, adding more than one party member increases the complexity and annoyance exponentially. When you have one character to worry about all you need to do when you find an item is check if it is better than what you already have. If you have 3 characters, you have to check three times. Then, if you answered yes, you have to see if the equipment that character just removed is better than what another character already has. There's also the possibility that you answered yes more than once, and now you have to make all these extra decisions. But I don't care about that shit! I only care about stopping the Blight, and this is an irrelevant time wasting distraction.
    I never found it that complicated. My Warriors need Strength and Constitution. Dexterity if they're dual-wielding. Rogues are best with Daggers or Bows, but can use One-handed weapons if they have boosts to Dexterity and Cunning. Mages need Magic and Willpower.
    As for armor, Warriors should use the heavier armor that requires high strength, Rogues should use the medium armor that requires less strength, and Mages (besides arcane warriors) wear Robes.
  • edited August 2012
    Meh. I enjoy managing my party's equipment. I like seeing them in the armor and weapons that I chose, picking their abilities, and setting their strategies. That is fun to me.
    But, to each their own.

One thing is you don't have to worry a lot about optimizing your DA characters unless you want to play on Nightmare. In-fact, there are a bunch of bugs with how the equipment is designed (go read articles on how archery works in DA if you want to know some of them). Basically, at the end of the day, you don't need to dwell much on getting good stuff. You could just pick the highest armor stat/weapon damage and be fine.

There are ways to do thousands of damage (which is just stupid high in game terms), but you'll never actually need it. Just pick the characters you like, the equipment that appeals to you, the spells you have fun with, and roll with it. The game has all kinds of flaws with some options being blatantly better or worse than others to stupid levels.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • edited August 2012
    Complicated wall of text with a zillion icons everywhere.

Simplicity.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • In that picture, even in a DIFFERENT LANGUAGE, I can tell the item on the left is better because it is a higher level material and has a higher magic requirement.
  • Well if you play the game in french...

And honestly I can't tell anything about the second image. :p On the first one, 40 is higher than 29. Sounds good.
  • One thing is you don't have to worry a lot about optimizing your DA characters unless you want to play on Nightmare. In-fact, there are a bunch of bugs with how the equipment is designed (go read articles on how archery works in DA if you want to know some of them). Basically, at the end of the day, you don't need to dwell much on getting good stuff. You could just pick the highest armor stat/weapon damage and be fine.

There are ways to do thousands of damage (which is just stupid high in game terms), but you'll never actually need it. Just pick the characters you like, the equipment that appeals to you, the spells you have fun with, and roll with it. The game has all kinds of flaws with some options being blatantly better or worse than others to stupid levels.
    I don't think you understand, I don't want to pick anything. Look how much text there is in describing just one item! Even if I just pick the highest damage items, it takes a long fucking time to figure out which is which! I just want to walk around and do all the dialog trees and see all the videos. That's it. The fact that the rest of the game exists is blocking me from what I actually like to do.
  • Well, then the genre is not something you enjoy. But it's not bad inherently. Lots of people enjoy that.
  • In that picture, even in a DIFFERENT LANGUAGE, I can tell the item on the left is better because it is a higher level material and has a higher magic requirement.
    Well if you play the game in french...

And honestly I can't tell anything about the second image. :p On the first one, 40 is higher than 29. Sounds good.
    Look at the size of that fucking text! It doesn't even stand out. Maybe if the 40 and the 29 where gigantic red numbers, but no. They are tiny yellow numbers. Even worse, they aren't 40 and 29. They are 40.00 and 29.00. And that's only one decision. Four characters times 10+ inventory slots...
  • Well, then the genre is not something you enjoy. But it's not bad inherently. Lots of people enjoy that.
    I envy you if you have so much spare time in your life you can afford to waste so much of it on managing a vast virtual inventory of goods.
  • I understand, I'm just trying to help reduce the total amount of time you spend on thing you don't like. But here's the thing, there are people that enjoy that part of the game. Mass Effect 3 may have hit upon an idea that resolves that issue (pick whether you're playing choose your own adventure, action shooter, space RPG the doomening, or some hybrid), but that's not an option in Dragon Age. You have a difficulty toggle and that's it.
  • Managing the inventory was never that hard for me, and didn't take me that much time. I read through the items very quickly.
    I will agree it's not the best in terms of visual design. But it didn't affect me when I was playing the game after school during my Senior year of High School. Whenever I got a cool weapon or armor, I wanted to see if it looked cool and made me better.
  • Is that second picture an inventory from FTL?
  • Is that second picture an inventory from FTL?
    What is FTL? It's X-Com: Terror from the Deep. Really easy to distinguish icons, you just drag them into the spots on the people.

That's another major problem with Dragon Age, icons. Hey, see these ten swords, they all have the same icon! There is no way to distinguish what is what without hovering and reading those blobs of text and numbers. In X-Com you can see immediately with your eyeballs that one thing is just a regular gun and another thing is a rocket launcher. You don't have to hover or examine the stats of things to make decisions.