This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

• BioWare's user interfaces have always been fucking terrible. I can't bring myself to finish any of their games pre-ME2 anymore, just because they feel so clunky and unintuitive. I never finished Dragon Age for that and every other reason Apreche has mentioned.
  • In X-Com you can see immediately with your eyeballs that one thing is just a regular gun and another thing is a rocket launcher. You don't have to hover or examine the stats of things to make decisions.
    Which one it is on that picture? Regular gun or rocket launcher, it doesn't look like ether.

• In X-Com you can see immediately with your eyeballs that one thing is just a regular gun and another thing is a rocket launcher. You don't have to hover or examine the stats of things to make decisions.
    Which one it is on that picture? Regular gun or rocket launcher, it doesn't look like ether.

In the context of the game you would know because you buy/find/research something and then you go to the inventory and the new thing you have never seen before must be it. And the guns look like what their names imply.
  • In the context of the game you would know because you buy/find/research something and then you go to the inventory and the new thing you have never seen before must be it. And the guns look like what their names imply.
    Are you seriously stating that that kind of system is some ultimate high point of inventory systems. One where you have to remember what you were researching and what item you haven't seen before. What of the situation where I find alien death lazer on mission and right after the mission my research for science death lazers complies. Do I now have two different death lazers on my inventory with no ability to tell which on is which?

Surely it does some things better than Dragon Age, but no information is not a solution to badly presented information.
  • Oh look, Scott Rubin doesn't like something that someone else likes.
  • Oh look, Scott Rubin doesn't like something that someone else likes.
    More like Scott Rubin uses bad examples in his arguments. It's not like I'm a fan of the inventory management in Dragon Age, it just wasn't a game breaker for me.

• When you click on something it tells you what it is. See how the top left says "rifle" and the right side says how many rounds are in it. All the information you need. Not

Megtarian's Rifle of Rifling
    0.05 dmg
    3.456% hit chance
    3333 wangdoodling
    +5% resistance to your mom
    -10% save against ropes
    Glows blue
    Weights 10.23 kg
    Worth 2342 electrum
  • One where you have to remember what you were researching and what item you haven't seen before. What of the situation where I find alien death lazer on mission and right after the mission my research for science death lazers complies. Do I now have two different death lazers on my inventory with no ability to tell which on is which?
    Um, it tells you the names of things if they're clicked on as well. There are also different aesthetics common to human versus alien weapons, and no weapons are actually similar in appearance or function. (E.g., there aren't two pistols that are similar: there are major differences between all items).

I hate games where combat isn't the prime focus where stats like the ones in Dragon Age are both displayed and matter. It's lazy. Refresh rates and discrete ranges, differing damages and percent changes for effects: it all serves no purpose other than to obscure the Pareto frontier and make the game seem more complex than it is.

Most people who played Dragon Age played it for the story. That was its success. The other parts of the game are intolerably bad in my opinion. Some people enjoy that kind of gameplay, but look at what people wrote and talked about when Dragon Age was the big game on the market. It sure wasn't the combat or inventory system.

• edited August 2012
    I don't ever remember needing to manage my inventory in Dragon Age. I did get frustrated with the fact that all my party members were fucking idiots and I wanted like a KOTOR style setup to give them actions but they don't have that.

I'm playing the original Dead Rising and Assassins Creed 2. I'm basically a serial murderer in AC2 and I see where they changed a lot of stuff in DR2 because some of the stuff that they fixed is agitating in the first game. However I do like slicing zombzorz.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I wouldn't say the combat is intolerably bad. Just not particularly new or interesting or dynamic. The 2nd game had better combat in exchange for other flaws (revolving around story).
  • BioWare's user interfaces have always been fucking terrible. I never finished Dragon Age for that and every other reason Apreche has mentioned.
  • edited August 2012
    Megtarian's Rifle of Rifling
    Is this a rifle that rifles your gun for you or a rifle capable of rifling other guns?

Some people just really like complex stat management (my friend loves it) but it usually boils down to "so which one is better?"
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Actually I really enjoyed Dragon Age Orgins Combat, but I played a mage and played it Baldur's Gate style (over head view) so it was more a how to get a combo of spells off before the enemy wrecked me. Honestly I don't remember the inventory system in Dragon age being bad but I do remember it being horrible in Mass Effect One (two is WAY better in that respect).
  • Actually, I was stuck in Redcliffe. Huge battle, few members in my party, terrible control system.
  • Actually I really enjoyed Dragon Age Orgins Combat, but I played a mage and played it Baldur's Gate style (over head view) so it was more a how to get a combo of spells off before the enemy wrecked me. Honestly I don't remember the inventory system in Dragon age being bad but I do remember it being horrible in Mass Effect One (two is WAY better in that respect).
    Baldur's Gate style is THE WORST! If you are going to make me pause the battle, then make it turn based. If you are going to have it be real-time, make it an action game. This in-between nonsense is someone trying to have their cake and eat it too, and it is awful in every way. I'd rather do Final Fantasy random encounters.
  • Some people just really like complex stat management (my friend loves it) but it usually boils down to "so which one is better?"
    That's one thing I liked in Mass Effect 2, at least for me it felt like there were some real options between different guns. Choosing between a sniper rifle that has lot's of ammo, fast rate of fire and weak damage and other which has little ammo, reload after every shot and huge damage wasn't just a question of numbers, but also preferences. I was confident with my aim and headshotting so I used the slow, powerful one, while I can see how the fast one could be perfectly viable too.

• edited August 2012
    That's just your opinion man. I like my game that way.

To me it simulates table top well, everything is fluid until baam! Combat, hit pause assess the situation, pick actions, let actions play out and if you need to micromanage a bit pause again. Love that shit. (also love Turn based but yea)
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Baldur's Gate style is THE WORST! If you are going to make me pause the battle, then make it turn based. If you are going to have it be real-time, make it an action game. This in-between nonsense is someone trying to have their cake and eat it too, and it is awful in every way. I'd rather do Final Fantasy random encounters.
    Wasn't Baldur's Gate fully turn based, it just by default didn't pause after every turn, probably because it assumed that you probably want to keep hitting a dude with your sword until someone dies.

• Baldur's Gate style is THE WORST! If you are going to make me pause the battle, then make it turn based. If you are going to have it be real-time, make it an action game. This in-between nonsense is someone trying to have their cake and eat it too, and it is awful in every way. I'd rather do Final Fantasy random encounters.
    Wasn't Baldur's Gate fully turn based, it just by default didn't pause after every turn, probably because it assumed that you probably want to keep hitting a dude with your sword until someone dies.

Yes, but in practice it was the worst thing ever. I played until the very first combat against some spiders in some peasant's backyard shed and have never tried to play since.

However, there is a new version of the game coming soon that is an enhance edition that has co-op. If they implement that properly, it might be playable since it could be turn based, and you will only have to manage just your own character.
  • Finished Metroid Fusion on the Micro. Very solid game, helped by perfect controls. Unfortunately, I did not realise that Fusion has a "point of no return" with no warning.

I had about 10+ scratchings on my "to do" list. That's how I play Metroid, I keep pushing forward and when fully powered up, I do a final lap of the game, collecting everything I saw but could not access.

Fusion locks you out of the entire space station after you trigger a certain event! (and with NO warning) I was 8 E-tanks down and forced to fight final boss! Argh... Did it, but still, what a stupid design choice.
  • Finished Metroid Fusion on the Micro. Very solid game, helped by perfect controls. Unfortunately, I did not realise that Fusion has a "point of no return" with no warning.

I had about 10+ scratchings on my "to do" list. That's how I play Metroid, I keep pushing forward and when fully powered up, I do a final lap of the game, collecting everything I saw but could not access.

Fusion locks you out of the entire space station after you trigger a certain event! (and with NO warning) I was 8 E-tanks down and forced to fight final boss! Argh... Did it, but still, what a stupid design choice.
    Yeah, I don't like how Fusion locks you out of different parts as you move along rather than having one big open world like other Metroids. Lazy designing to use plot triggered unopenable doors rather than item-dependent unconquerable obstacles to control progress.

Yeah, I don't like how Fusion locks you out of different parts as you move along rather than having one big open world like other Metroids. Lazy designing to use plot triggered unopenable doors rather than item-dependent unconquerable obstacles to control progress.
    Completely agree.

Hopefully Zero Mission will redeem the GBA line :)
  • Hopefully Zero Mission will redeem the GBA line :)
    Zero Mission is my second favorite Metroid. It's good.

• edited August 2012
    Hopefully Zero Mission will redeem the GBA line :)
    Zero Mission is my second favorite Metroid. It's good.

Ok, lets quickly rank. For me, it would be thus:

1. Prime - Outstanding visuals, artistic direction, music. Translating a 2D game into 3D perfectly, stunning a good chunk of the gaming community in the process. The controls were functional at the time but perhaps a little clunky now. The Wii version from Trilogy however, is OUTSTANDING. The controls are not just tacked on, they retooled the game and tweaked the balance of all the enemies to compensate for the increased precision.

2. Super Metroid - What's to say? Only negative for me is slightly floaty controls.

3. Echoes - Not as good as Prime, but artistically superb. Real sense on lonliness too, very desolate. I like that.

4. Fusion - Apart from the unfortunate point of no return, the level design was pretty good and the controls just SNAP.

5. Zero Mission - only played it once, a long time ago. Will replay shortly. I expect this will surpass Fusion. Maybe even Echoes?

6. - Other M - Unlike a lot of people, I had NO control issues switching into first person. My chair was front and centre with the TV. Fun game, but flawed. Ruined the whole "alone" asthetic that is so integral to Metroid. Average.

7 - Hunters - not very good...

Haven't played Metroid 1 or 2.

Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • My ranking so far goes
    Prime
    Super
    Corruption
    Echoes
    Everything else
    Other M
  • edited August 2012
    Finished Metroid Fusion on the Micro. Very solid game, helped by perfect controls. Unfortunately, I did not realise that Fusion has a "point of no return" with no warning.

Actually you need to use a different method from getting to sector to sector. It is NOT OBVIOUS at all but all the areas are linked without going to the main elevator and can navigate between them once that event happens.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Super
    Everything Else
  • Super
    Everything Else
  • I forgot about Corruption... Probably in the middle somewhere.

Fusion DOES have a genuine point of no return. You cannot acess any of the lower levels, even using all the secret paths. Google said so.

Still:

Prime
    Super
    Everything else....

If you REALLY want to summarise...
  • Super
    Everything Else

Also I don't see why people think Prime as the best Metroid. It's not a bad game in any means, but clunky controls, horrible platforming sections, especially in end game and few bossfights that made me shout "What the fuck am I supposed to do with you?" Metroid Prime is a prime example of a game where few small problems kill my enjoyment of otherwise good game.