This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

• As a man who has never played Eclipse, I picked up the iPad app. I am quite disappointed the tutorial will not allow me to get past researching on turn 2. Time to flail against AI, I suppose.
  • As a man who has never played Eclipse, I picked up the iPad app. I am quite disappointed the tutorial will not allow me to get past researching on turn 2. Time to flail against AI, I suppose.
    As in it breaks or in that it walks you through the first few rounds?

I also just bought it. After flailing through the tutorial, I went and read the rules then replayed the tutorial. I still lost terribly, but I at least understood what was going on!
  • I drag the research I would like to buy (since the tutorial doesn't specify having to buy a specific one) and nothing happens. The icon snaps back to the research tab and that is that.

I was at an actual game night tonight so I'm either playing that now or going to sleep. I haven't decided yet.
  • I am playing "The Last of Us".
    It is pretty awesome and hard.
    Seriously, every time I get close to a clicker or an infected, I have to save so I can go through many trial and error strategies to be able to either avoid them, kill them, or just run like crazy towards the closer exist (which does not help when there is not much light around).
  • Can someone explain to me why Civ IV is better than V? So far my experience has been "do random shit for no particular reason: the game."
  • For the record, I've played and do currently like both IV and V. These are some of the reasons I've heard from others when discussing the games, as to why Civ IV is superior.

1) When Civ V came out, it was a fucking disaster, which pissed off a lot of people. Since then, it has gotten so much better that it doesn't even resemble the original game in a lot of ways. It was buggy, and slow, with an unskippable old man intro sequence, a really terrible diplomacy system, the AI was awful, there was a lot of questionable balance, etc etc. A lot of stuff got patched within the first few weeks, but the fact that, day one, Civ V was terrible, in addition to it being compared to a game that had already had two good expansions, rather than comparing it to Civ IV's possibly less-than-stellar release, caused a lot of bitterness.

2) Civ V still hasn't fixed the fucking multiplayer. They will with this next, impending, expansion. But it went for years just being unabashedly borked. For folks who played Civ primarily as a multiplayer experience, this murdered their enthusiasm in the face.

3) Some people just like the design behind the Civ IV AI better than Civ V. In Civ IV, the AI leaders cleave to their personality more strongly. Some leaders will be peaceful, even when it's overwhelmingly beneficial for them to go to war. Some leaders would gladly allow you to abuse and exploit them, so long as you had their favorite civics, or shared their religion. In Civ V, the leaders do have some personality flavoring, but in the end, they're out to win, and Gandhi will gladly shoot you in the face at the drop of a hat if you're between him and victory. The AI is a lot more ruthless, and will outright refuse to do a lot of stupid things, like make research agreements with the tech-leader. If you're running away with the game, multiple AI may even gang up on you. To some, this removed a lot of the flavor they enjoyed; Gandhi might as well not even be Gandhi anymore, because he doesn't act like it.

4) Some people think that the addition of a unique power to each civilization ended up shoehorning each leader into a certain kind of playstyle, moreso than the few unique units did in Civ IV.

5) Some people really don't like City States. I still dunno why, but I hear this complaint a lot. Just, a really specific, really focused "Fuck City States", "Why?", "Because Fuck City States". Hell if I know why.
  • Next week.

Hey this area vaguely smells of butts and death.
  • That is fucking brilliant.
  • That is the best idea for DLC ever.
  • I forget but does DLC adapt to your level? I'm sure it does. I can't even remember if the other DLC did. It's going to be the last one for BL2. :(
  • I forget but does DLC adapt to your level? I'm sure it does. I can't even remember if the other DLC did. It's going to be the last one for BL2. :(
    The others do, and the video has the player at level 32.
    The others do, and the video has the player at level 32.
    Depends on which play through you are on.
  • edited June 2013
    Currently we're on TVHM at the part where we pretty much are ready to take on Jack.

I forget my level.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Nothing has been played on my 3DS these past two weeks other than Animal Crossing. Help. I'm addicted.
  • Nothing has been played on my 3DS these past two weeks other than Animal Crossing. Help. I'm addicted.
    Yeah. I've played so much as well, but I don't care. It's the best and everyone else that is awesome is playing it. You should be on the twitters and toombles. So much great shit being shared on there.
  • Still no sign of Redd in my game :(
  • Iirc he used to send a letter announcing his arrival but he doesn't anymore, he just shows up in town square, so be sure to always check. He took over a week to appear for me and I thought he was supposed to show up weekly.
  • Cities in Motion 2. I am the bus baron. Muahahahahahaha
  • Redd has shown up twice so far.
  • I've only gotten him once.
  • Played a little Red Faction armageddon. Man, the story is so dumb, but wrecking shit is still fun. Not to mention the magic repairing flashlight is cool.
  • edited June 2013
    I realize this is news to approximately no one (not even myself, who has played criminally few games), but Jesus fuck is Half Life 1 a good game. I've never actually beaten it, so now I'm replaying it to do just that, and it's really fucking good. Aged a bit (why can't I stare down the sights?), but still good.

EDIT: also, Mount and Blade was on sale, so I bought that. Good times...
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Played a little Red Faction armageddon. Man, the story is so dumb, but wrecking shit is still fun. Not to mention the magic repairing flashlight is cool.
    I still think moving away from the open world was a bad move for the series. Red Faction Guerrilla was a much stronger game IMO.
  • Damn. Finished Journey. That was a pretty cool little game.
    I still think moving away from the open world was a bad move for the series. Red Faction Guerrilla was a much stronger game IMO.
    I haven't actually run into any open world stuff, yet, I'm still super-early days. I did play Guerrilla a while back, though, and that's got the open world stuff too.

• Friend linked this to me. Spoilers for Tiny Tina's shit.

http://i.imgur.com/c6ZMFnu.jpg

Need to find time for this.
  • Just starting playing ClaDun X2... it is so extremely my shit.
  • edited June 2013
    Friend linked this to me. Spoilers for Tiny Tina's shit.

http://i.imgur.com/c6ZMFnu.jpg

Need to find time for this.
    On one hand, it sounds decently amusing and fun to play through.

On the other hand, I'm not terribly fond of Anthony Birch's writing style(or just, well, Anthony Birch, briefly, he's an enormous wanker), nor am I terribly fond of Tiny Tina(or Ashley Birch, for that matter - but full credit, her VO work on Tiny Tina is excellent, even if I hate the character and voice). I guess it's just a matter of how well the Gearbox writing staff balances out Birch, and how much I'll have to put up with Tiny Tina.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • She very much seems like a love her or hate her kinda character.
  • On that note. been playing Borderlands 1. I wanted to play it before, but didn't have anyone to play it with. Now I've been playing with some friends who were in a similar situation, and jesus fuck is it a good game.