This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

• Missed Rogue Legacy for $5 last sale. Got it this sale. Really good. Balls hard.

Beat one boss so far.
  • Got Facrcry 3: "What you want to play the game during the Christmas sale? Can't let you all do that at once" -Uplay
  • Played the first set of levels in the Gianna Sisters: Twisted Dreams. Not a horrible platformer, but also not anything special. Seems you have to really scratch the surface in order to get any motivation to play further. The levels were nice enough, but I don't have the desire to go back and perfect my runs, find all the hidden areas to collect more crystals, etc.
  • What sold me on Rogue Legacy was the Legacy part, but I ended up being disappointed by that. Especially in that the stats climb exists.

That said, I beat it like... 3 times? Then it started to get hard again.
  • Kerbal Space Program. The career mode is a bitch.
  • Last time I fired up KSP, career mode was a non-entity. Has that changed substantially?
  • Rogue Legacy is awesome except for the inconsistent hit detection on some of the enemies and occasional projectile glitches that manage to ht you when they shouldn't.
  • MATATAT said:

Rogue Legacy is awesome except for the inconsistent hit detection on some of the enemies and occasional projectile glitches that manage to ht you when they shouldn't.

TRUE THAT
  • Starfox said:

Last time I fired up KSP, career mode was a non-entity. Has that changed substantially?

It is viable now, though still needs a lot of polish. The big thing is needing to get science points through doing various scientific things on missions like gathering crew reports, getting soil samples, and conducting experiments.
  • I've been playing the Xbox One Killer Instinct. It's fairly simple once you figure out the combo system but gets complex when you start needing to get timing down on more technical things like manuals and juggles. I like the combos because they make you feel like you're really fucking people up, which you can. But with breakers and whatnot you can mitigate a lot of the damage you take. Then there's the whole fighting game mind games aspect and frame reading that I'm not very good at.
  • Ok so XCOM Enemy Within update makes the original release look like trash. I've just encountered another layer of game on top of all the alien stuff which is competing with another force on the map for the alien technology and destabilisation of countries.

You can send one of your soldiers off on spy missions and then retrieve them to get intelligence on where the rest of their cells are and the base if you want to assault it. Also it is way more important to make sure you shoot down as many UFO's as possible now. When I play another game I will probably invest in establishing better aircraft early in the game and research weapons for troops later in the game.

Oh yeah, abduct aliens as soon as possible, helps you skip so much weapon research and lets you skip ahead, it is especially important when playing Classic and Impossible difficulties.
    MATATAT said:

I've been playing the Xbox One Killer Instinct. It's fairly simple once you figure out the combo system but gets complex when you start needing to get timing down on more technical things like manuals and juggles. I like the combos because they make you feel like you're really fucking people up, which you can. But with breakers and whatnot you can mitigate a lot of the damage you take. Then there's the whole fighting game mind games aspect and frame reading that I'm not very good at.

I don't see this game surviving beyond it's novelty as a launch title. It borrows on so many mechanics from the Street Fighter series.

As soon as Street Fighter Ultra is released next year there will be a swing back to that especially since Capcom is doing the right thing by play testing for the first time outside of Japan before releasing a new iteration of the series, patching and then getting people to test it again.
  • sK0pe said:

I don't see this game surviving beyond it's novelty as a launch title. It borrows on so many mechanics from the Street Fighter series.

As soon as Street Fighter Ultra is released next year there will be a swing back to that especially since Capcom is doing the right thing by play testing for the first time outside of Japan before releasing a new iteration of the series, patching and then getting people to test it again.

From what I've seen I think that Killer Instinct does it's own thing compared to the Street Fighter. Obviously they share gameplayelements, they are both 2D fighters, so that's given. But for me Killer Instinct looks a more approachable compared to Street Fighter and that compared to it's free to play nature means that it will probably keep enough playerbase that it doesn't immediately die out when next SF comes out.

• Apsup said:

sK0pe said:

From what I've seen I think that Killer Instinct does it's own thing compared to the Street Fighter. Obviously they share gameplayelements, they are both 2D fighters, so that's given. But for me Killer Instinct looks a more approachable compared to Street Fighter and that compared to it's free to play nature means that it will probably keep enough playerbase that it doesn't immediately die out when next SF comes out.

Oh yeah, I forgot they were going for the free to play model. I guess we will see what happens with time.
  • Almost every other fighter is similar to street fighter. Killer instinct is quite different mechanically than street fighter despite the fact that there's a character that is basically Ryu. SF and MVC will always remain the strongest esports fighters. I mean, mvc3 is more popular in that community than sf4 despite it being way less balanced IMO.
  • edited December 2013
    I am proud to announce I not only have a Kerbal in (a very unstable) orbit but also a satellite in a stable orbit.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • Anyone try playing Monaco since this latest patch came out?
  • I fired it up a while ago, the mission screen was all different, it had bombed me back to almost the beginning. Also there was some mode called "Zonaco", didn't even touch that one.
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for 3DS.

Played about 45 minutes the first launch, 2 hours the second, and now 6 this past play session.

Uh oh.
  • I'm playing Dishonored and its so good ahaha. It reminds me of a late 90s fps in a lot of ways, but mostly probably cause it's fairly similar to Thief.
  • After sitting on it for half a year, I finally started playing Last of Us. Those guys are absolutely the best in the industry when it comes to cinematic quality. I can't remember the last time (or any time) a game made me tear up, and that was just in the prologue.
  • The prologue is pretty rough on the feels.

I play it in bursts. I think I am currently at the point after you wreck the truck. Not really a spoiler because it is a plot point that you have no control over.
  • I'm taking another stab at it and enjoying it more. The first time I tried playing I was getting super frustrated with the combat. This time around I'm just sort of saying fuck it to most of the encounters and its working out pretty well. Some of them are still annoying like the one part towards the start of the game where Tess and the young girl (I forget her name) are waiting for you to clear out a room full of bad guys I had to try over several times because those damn clickers are apparently tanks that take several shots to the head to kill.
  • Divekick is a triumph.
  • After loving the demo a week or so ago, I finally started playing the full game of The Stanley Parable. Got the Confusion ending, and then the Museum ending. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

It's pure "choose your own adventure novel." Think of it as Portal with all of the skill game ripped out, and 5x the humor quality. Don't hold up your nose with the "it's not a game" arguments. Who cares what it is. It's got more comedic chops than most comedy movies you'd probably watch.
  • The Confusion Ending was the first one I got. Then, I killed myself.

I think the funniest thing that happened to me was when I restarted the game after having repeatedly fucked around in that broom closet on other occasions...
    ...only to find the broom closet boarded up and blocked.
  • edited December 2013
    The first ending I got was
    the one with the Portal and Minecraft parodies.
    It was great.

Post edited by Axel on
  • The Stanley Parable is a good example of an idiogame. It has a much narrower decision tree than, say, Burning Wheel, but it's in the same wheelhouse.

It isn't a roleplaying game. Or, if it is considered one, then it's a terrible role playing game. It's also a terrible orthogame.

But, it's great at being an idiogame. It's also great at being simply an interactive amusement.
  • It's very amusing and clever. It also is a good commentary on modern games, and how our view of freedom and artistic expression is so limited, and how shaping your game to have a "point" really doesn't matter when you're in an interactive media where people will find ways around it. It both celebrates and mocks lots of different games, and I can appreciate that.
  • I've gotten most, if not all, of the endings. I think that the Clicking Achievement is one of the better commentaries on that kind of design in games in a long time.
  • Also, the narrator is very soothing.