This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

• I find threes more challenging then 2048 which is why I bought it.

I don't like how the developer was crying on the Verge about people copying his idea, if he was genuinely interested in making money he would have released the Android and iOS versions simultaneously he would probably be at half way up to Flappy Bird status if he did.
  • edited April 2014
    Well now we have Flappy48 so we can have the best of both worlds.

EDIT: Or I guess the clone of a combo clone.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited April 2014
    2048 is the first app that became a meme since it was open source. The number of variations and clones is mind boggling. HN went crazy with it the first two weeks it was released.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Farsh: It's a short puzzle game made by a guy in Iran and it's about rolling up carpets.
    http://marsigames.blogspot.com/2012/09/farsh.html
  • Vlambeer's Rami was talking about that game Scoops and the Wolf. It was interesting to hear his take on it.
  • Played Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory -
    long time since I've played a Quake 3 based engine, whole server accused me of using an aim bot. Was fun.
  • About 60% of the way through Infamous: Second Son. Lots of fun with wildly different challenge levels.

For example the conduit fights (where you unlock new types of powers) are stupid hard/annoying. When you fight the neon conduit she runs circles around you. Unless you have turn sensitivity maxed out she is constantly moving out of your field of view before you can hit her.

The video power guy is super annoying. You fight on a series of pillars that descend into a field of lava after causing a certain amount of damage to the enemy. The enemy also has shields (think of those flying repair bots in BL2) that you have to knock out to damage him. His main attack, when it hits you, interrupts anything you are doing AND the attack ignores cover. So in order to recharge your powers you need to be in the open and not move for a few seconds. When in the open he hits you and interrupts your recharge. You can not even shoot him while he is hitting you. That batlle was so annoying I almost quit playing the game.

The open world is fun and I tend to stay with smoke powers because I find them to be the most well rounded for my play style.

Not much replay and once you clear a zone of the city there is no reason to go back. This will be a play twice game (once as good once as evil) and then trade it in.
  • The Jurasic Park gameade by Telltale has the worst UI I have ever had to deal with. I guess I have been spoiled by their recent offerings because while the story is good the controls suck.

They suck in a horrible counterintuitive way. For the majority of actions that require a button be held and a stick be moved (PS3) it is same side button and stick. Yet every so often they have you use the opposite stick with the button held. Some of the button mashing QuickTime events require toy to spam the button before it appears on screen or else you run out of time. The balance actions where you move a green dot into a central circle appear to work in an entirely random fashion. Sometimes it is super easy while other times it's like shoving a twenty pounds cat into cat carrier in prep for a vet visit.

It is so bad that the player of the game misses out on much of the on screen activities because rather than focusing on enjoying the game you have to obsess over memorizing button presses as you replay each QuickTime event over and over again.

• My favorite thing in this game is downloading tons of mods that let you make new clothes, and the mod that gives you smithing XP for using the other smithing appliances that don't give you XP in vanilla, and then getting to level 20 by doing nothing but making dresses. I am the dress kingpin of all from Solitude to Riften.
  • Just completed my second play through of Infamous: Second Son, this time evil on expert.

Game was still enjoyable a second time through. Some powers are good/evil specific so the game is different in that respect. Also some of the missions are different when it comes to redeeming/corrupting conduits you meet. Sadly your dialog with your brother stays the same no matter what. Which is weird because everyone else in your tribe takes notice of your actions.

I do believe that the game suffers in that the karmic choices seemed designed to make you really not want to play as a bad guy. Which I find strange for a game called Infamous.
  • My latest work in Prison Architect: image
  • I want to get back into that game. I was sort of waiting for it to develop a little more and also I start getting really obsessive about having a near perfect design that will scale. Usually never seems to happen.
  • Been playing "Stick it to the Man" on the PS4. Why? Because it is free for PS+!

On a more serious note the game is a well crafted side scrolling fetch puzzle game. Meaning that you have to fetch items to solve puzzles to complete each chapter.

The game is very light but humorous. You walk around reading minds for clues to solve each persons problem and then find items (stickers) to place into their thoughts or the world to solve those problems.

There was a funny part where you take the teeth from a crocodile and give them to a small dog as well as reading the minds of animals.

Very enjoyable and not difficult. Figure on four hours to complete if you are not in a rush. Would possibly pay $10 if it were not free.
  • Anyone playing Transistor? I'm not far in. Just unlocked the new area in the Sandbox. I like how it's a bit reminiscent of Bastion, but everything else is more or less new.

I'm really fascinated on the sword upgrades and enjoy reading about all the people that become part of the Transistor sword. All the different combinations of attack/defensive moves gives a good challenge of what are the best combos with my style of play.

The soundtrack is great, if not better than Bastion. As for the game storyline, I'm avoiding internet articles, but I'm guessing the voice of the Transistor may come back to a live body in the end, or they're all androids/cyborgs. Also the Transistor sword upgrades reminds me of Netrunner, in the slightest of ways.
  • I nearly bought it a few nights ago but then put that $20 into buying Sniper Elite 3 because I like to see a bullet exploding a head and it has real stealth as compared to all of Ubisoft's games.

I will probably buy it on sale as there seems to be much hyper around it.
  • sK0pe said:

I nearly bought it a few nights ago but then put that $20 into buying Sniper Elite 3 because I like to see a bullet exploding a head and it has real stealth as compared to all of Ubisoft's games.

You have heard of Splinter Cell, right?
  • Churba said:

sK0pe said:

I nearly bought it a few nights ago but then put that $20 into buying Sniper Elite 3 because I like to see a bullet exploding a head and it has real stealth as compared to all of Ubisoft's games.

You have heard of Splinter Cell, right?
    Yeah that was a directed jab, I loved the first Splinter Cell game but they only got easier and less stealth based since the first one.

I finished Splinter Cell Blacklist in a minuscule period of time because doing a mission in full stealth (no kills, hardest difficulty) takes 1/3 of the time than running and gunning through it.
  • Oh yeah, I forgot about Blacklist. That was a bit of a shambles.
  • I've started playing League of Legends again on nights when I'm not playing board games. Anyone else play and want to get some matches in? I'm not capped yet but would like to find some regular peeps to play with.
  • What's your in-game name?
  • Planetside 2 made some announcements saying they'll be on PS4 for free very soon.
  • Last time I played PS2 it was nowhere near the levels of population when I played regularly. Is it still dead or has it caught new wind?
  • Jordan O. said:

Last time I played PS2 it was nowhere near the levels of population when I played regularly. Is it still dead or has it caught new wind?

It depends on when you are playing. When I get on during normal gaming times there are still a goo amount of people on. But things have died down a bit while people play other things waiting for the big content to drop.
  • I'm actually pretty happy with Mario Kart 8.

To be honest, the only Mario Kart's I've ever owned were the GBA and DS ones. My wife has the 3DS one but I never got around to playing it. I rented the SNES one a bunch back in the day, and played a few matches on the N64 one in college. The anti-competitive blue shell bullshit is a lot less of a factor than I would have thought. Currently, I'm working through getting gold on the 150cc cups, and I'm only getting blue shelled once per cup (4 races). The super horn is about as common as the blue shell itself, so it might be rare that they both are in play at the same time. It's only happened once for me, but that's because I've not been patient and have used the super horn to block MANY red shells, eliminating the immediate threat.

Pros:
    - Amazing level design, graphics, and sound. Great roster (love them koopa kids).
    - Crazy amount of kart customization.
    - The anti-gravity wheel mode where bumping into other players boosts you is also pretty cool.
    - The online experience is surprisingly smooth

Cons:
    - Getting coins in an item block can be incredibly frustrating. At least give me a banana or a green shell!
    - Battle mode is so bad we pretend it doesn't exist. I loved playing SNES and N64 battle mode at friend's houses.
    - While very easy to get a quick online match, item customization options are available pretty laughable. They let you pick silly groupings of items instead of just rolling your own setup like in a Smash Bros match. It also seems like there might be some funkiness in mixing online friends and random live opponents. There's no way to poke a friend and invite them to join your public game.

As far as I can tell, there is no game-breaking bullshit like "always be snaking" or insane shortcuts. Best racer usually wins, but not always, due to some silly item antics b/c hey it's fucking Mario Kart not Gran Turismo. Nintendo nailed like 90% of the fluff and packaging of this racing experience. Solid game.
  • Mario Kart 8:

50cc : super easy to the point where I have lapped AI racers.

100cc : moderately difficult to where AI will travel in small packs and sometimes work cooperatively against you.

150cc : pretty much you vs a team of 11 AI racers.

The split screen could be much better if the big screen and the Wii-U pad allowed for individual screens. Instead both screens carry the exact same image so it is split on both.

We have been playing co-op at home to gold star the 100cc races. My kid plays to win each track and i play a supporting role where I use my items to keep everyone off of her ass.

In all the game is very enjoyable. If only we had a better selection of free games from club Nintendo.
  • Yeah, showing the split screen on the Gamepad is a bizarre choice, and frustrating. I imagine the limits of its performance must be tighter than we thought, since usage of the Gamepad screen is so often a disappointment in games.

I went with Pikmin 3, which I had thankfully held out on. I'm a big fan of the original Pikmin and had only just recently played Pikmin 2, so I'll get around to this one eventually. Mario is def there for people who are picking up the console brand new, and Zelda is a consolation prize (not ready to replay that game yet, however great it is). Nobody wants Wii Party U except 5-year-olds.
  • I also picked Pikman 3 because I have the others.
  • I'm not ready to declare the game too easy, but I did just get 4 gold trophies on the first 4 150cc cups, in only 5 attempts. I am pretty good at video games, but never considered racing games my strong suit.
  • More proof that the Wii-U gamepad is an underpowered joke. The GBA GC adapter provided more novel gameplay than most of anything they've done with the Wii-U.
  • I only just found out it has NFC, which they're apparently planning to use with the next Smash Brothers. Which is either going to be cool, or a blatant skylanders/disney infinity styled cash-grab.