This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of your Boo-Yah (and vica-versa)

Comments

• Woot! Just got an e-mail from the school computer lab saying that they have my lost USB stick. I was all happy and dandy until I realized my name isn't on it anywhere. I'm grateful, but also feel somewhat violated that they went through my stuff...
  • I know that feeling. I get extremely paranoid about anything with my data on it.
  • Due to a gate change, I missed my flight connection for the first time ever! I catch about 50 planes a year, on average, and I miss one of the only flights I have to pay to fix!

So instead of Juliane and me spending a day in Nairobi tomorrow, we'll be spending a day in Istanbul instead. I can't say I'm complaining about that.

• If you have a date in Constantinople, she'll be waiting in Istanbul.
  • That video is pretty amazing.
  • edited March 2012
    I prefer this video:
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Sonic, do you know about a man named Ub Iwerks?
  • According to Wikipedia, he was an animator known mostly for his work with Disney. Why?
  • You should watch some of his stuff. Given your good and fine taste in cartoons, you would appreciate him. I would recommend his solo works -- when he was licensed by MGM at a studio that would be bought by Schlesinger, which would be bought by Warner Bros. and I'm going to cut myself off here because I do a whole panel on this guy -- which you can find under the name "Cartoons Time Forgot." At a time it was on Netflix streaming, but I'm not sure if that's still the case.
  • Booh-Yah: Tomorrow (or more accurately, I suppose, tonight) we're celebrating a friend's birthday!

Fail: Invariably, that means clubbing. I'll go because of the birthday, but seriously, fuck nightclubs. Excuse me if paying for the "privilege" of being submerged in a mire of the raw stench of sweat, hair product, AXE, and prostitute perfume whilst having dozens of Jersey Shore Orange girls with up-dos and gross rugby lads pulse against me to the nth tired remix of "Tonight I'm Fucking You" is not even remotely my idea of a good time.
  • edited March 2012
    Fail:
    You know how when windows won't boot properly you're supposed to boot from the install disk to recover? My install disk won't boot either. Also, for added irony, this happened when I was trying to set up a usb with a bunch of system rescue tools.
    ..And it looks like SpinRite just ate my drive. Lovely.

Actually it looks like the failure is a result of trying an mbr repair in sda1 rather than sda. Maybe this can save my ass? Or maybe the original problem of being unable to boot my windows disk will prevent step 3 from being possible. I'll try the disk in another computer and if that fails try another disk. Hopefully this can be moved to the boo-yah/fail thread.
    Boo-Yah: I managed to save my computer from my own stupidity once again!
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited March 2012
    Booyah: Went to The Strand today. Completed my collection of Sandman (my girlfriend gave me half of them for Christmas).
    Fail: I'm spending too much money on books. The other day I found some vintage Heinlein at a bookstore in the Lower East Side, and a few days before that I bought some DMZ and programming books on Amazon.
    Double-Fail: I'm out of bookshelf space!
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • edited March 2012
    I've been out of bookshelf space my entire life. There's simply never enough room; I'm easily in excess of 1000 volumes personally, without even considering the rest of the family. That's why I'm building a library when I have my own place. I'm actually considering a large study-like library similar to Neil Gaiman's, since being a scientist and a huge comic geek and bibliophile means I require massive amounts of shelf space. I'm considering having a game room either in or adjoining the library, with another room of motorized bookshelves for bulk storage. Also, a climate controlled cabinet for things like my 1900 hand-illustrated (with watercolors!) copy of Peer Gynt (which desperately needs restoration).

I need books like a fish needs water.

EDIT: Is there a way to purchase bits of The Library of America in bulk? I know you can buy the Penguin Canon en masse but as much as I love their art and bindings, paperbacks aren't optimum for archives.

EDIT 2-HIT COMBO: Oh god. There are Hardcover Penguin Classics. Mi cuerpo está listo.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • That's why I'm building a library when I have my own place. I'm actually considering a large study-like library similar to Neil Gaiman's, since being a scientist and a huge comic geek and bibliophile means I require massive amounts of shelf space.
    In a theoretical world, when I'm rich and famous, my girlfriend wants us to have a library like the one from Beauty and the Beast (the mansion one), complete with awesome rolling ladders. In a more likely scenario, having a den with custom shelves around the whole thing would be sufficient for us.
  • Boo-yah: One of my oldest friends was in the neighborhood, so we got some drinks and had a great time for the first time in over a year.

Fail: Friend got way too drunk, and he's the angry type of drunk, so I've spent the last hour trying to keep him from leaving or fucking up my place. Eventually he puked into a trash bag and passed out.

Double fail: And then I had to call his ex-fiance to tell her why he wasn't coming home tonight. They're in a situation where they have to keep living together for financial reasons, but she still worries about him.
  • edited March 2012
    Fail: Caught a sickness from my little brother. Had to go lie down at 8pm and ended up sleeping until 12am.

Booyah: I had a dream about making a live Multicam show like SNL on the BBC. The cast? Timothy Dalton, John Cleese, Stephen Fry, Ricky Gervais, David Tennant, Dame Judy Dench, Karen Gillan, Alex Kingston, Catherine Tate, and Yvonne Strahovski (Australian, I know, but I've been playing a lot of Mass Effect 2 recently).

Fail: The TD was an idiot. He was late on bars, put up the wrong still store, and kept dissolving when he should have been taking.

Double Fail: WHY DID I DREAM ABOUT DIRECTING THAT SHOW? Fuck YOU television production class!

Still, that would be an AWESOME show, even though the cast is a touch too big.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Ahaha, that is a great dream. Hooray for weird Film School dreams!
  • Fail: I caught a sickness from my little brother to. My throat hurts like crazy and I feel like crap.

Double Fail: I had an interview for a job at summer camp today and work.

Booyah: I met a whole lot of friends who I haven't seen in a year or two, and I am pretty much guaranteed a job there. On top of that, work at Dominos was light today, so I was able to make it through. By the way, Dominos sucks, never eat there.
  • Booh yah!: Hey! I'm roughly back on Illinois time!
    Fail: I'm four thousand fucking miles away from Illinois. That means I'm sleeping 9am-5pm. This is in no way okay. I have a final this week.
  • Boo-yah: Four RIT hockey games this past weekend - The men won 2 of their 3 games against Bentley to advance to the AHA semi-finals and the women won their game against Concordia to advance to the NCAA semi-finals.

Fail: Holy shit did I lose my voice. There's a sad situation in my larynx right now, you guys.
  • edited March 2012
    Fail: My contractor people are now two paychecks behind on paying me. I'm very close to giving notice and quitting.

Booyah: This afternoon I'm meeting with a startup that already said they want to hire me, so hopefully I'll be getting a formal offer today. Also, meeting with Marvel near the end of the week. Fun Fact: I'm interviewing with a guy named Peter Olsen. ^_~

EDIT: Unfortunately, it turns out he spells it "Olson".
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Fail: I lost misplaced my touch screen Android phone several weeks ago, so I had to use this phone, which is the worst phone ever created by anyone! My ass-old Chocolate phone was better than this one, so I'm never going to buy a cellphone made by Samsung ever again. image

Booyah: I just found my touch screen Android phone, so I am now ecstatic!

Lesson?: I used to say that "X touch screen phone doesn't add anything to my life" and I now know how wrong I was. When I had the Samsung phone, I literally didn't want to use my phone for anything because it sucked to use it that much. Lesson learned.
  • edited March 2012
    I had to use this phone, which is the worst phone ever created by anyone! My ass-old Chocolate phone was better than this one, so I'm never going to buy a cellphone made by Samsung ever again.
    Are you being as sarcastic as I hope you are?
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • Fail: Fuck you, car parts that wear out! Goddammit making me spend $900 I don't have!!!

Booyah: New tires. Lifetime alignments. New belt that is NOT riddled with cracks. Brakes that work right. Properly lit license plate. Working lighter sockets.

Fail: Goddammit $900!
  • I had to use this phone, which is the worst phone ever created by anyone! My ass-old Chocolate phone was better than this one, so I'm never going to buy a cellphone made by Samsung ever again.
    I'm dead serious. The ass-old Chocolate first generation phone I owned had a less confusing UI and did it's basic functions better than this phone. The only saving feature of this phone is that it has a complete keyboard, but I still hate it.
  • Fail: Fuck you, car parts that wear out! Goddammit making me spend $900 I don't have!!!

Booyah: New tires. Lifetime alignments. New belt that is NOT riddled with cracks. Brakes that work right. Properly lit license plate. Working lighter sockets.

You know, if you're willing to plan a bit more in advance in the future, I'd help you fix your car.

You know, if you're willing to plan a bit more in advance in the future, I'd help you fix your car.
    Yeah. The big ones here were pretty urgent. She usually doesn't need much, so a big expense now and then isn't too unreasonable. I do need to change my air filters and exchange my wiper fluid for low temp stuff... I'm sure you can help with that next visit. ;)
  • I had to use this phone, which is the worst phone ever created by anyone! My ass-old Chocolate phone was better than this one, so I'm never going to buy a cellphone made by Samsung ever again.
    I'm dead serious. The ass-old Chocolate first generation phone I owned had a less confusing UI and did it's basic functions better than this phone. The only saving feature of this phone is that it has a complete keyboard, but I still hate it.
    I believe you when you say that you don't like the phone, but you're telling me that it's the worst phone that has ever been created and you're being dead serious? And then you say that because you hate this phone that was probably designed 5 years ago, you'll never buy a Samsung product ever again?
  • I'm never going to buy a cellphone made by Samsung ever again.
    you'll never buy a Samsung product ever again?
    Buying a product from Samsung is inevitable, as they are a major producer of electronic products. I'm not going to buy a cellphone designed only by them.