This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of your Boo-Yah (and vica-versa)

Comments

• Boo-Yah: Spent the day relaxing at my friend's place yesterday

Fail - Because I dosed myself with a mid-sized dose of Temazepam, And by the time she tried to wake me in the morning, I was still utterly insensible, no matter what she did.
  • Fail: My trip to friends in NYC this weekend cost $41.20 in tolls and $49.28 in gasoline, so $90.48 round trip. Twice what the bus costs.

Boo Yah: It's still easily half the price of an Amtrak ticket and with a travel time of 4 hours, 15 minutes considerably faster than the bus or the train. It was also made doubly awesome by splitting the fare with a friend thus halving the cost.

Sorry public transit, you just kinda suck.
  • Sorry public transit, you just kinda suck.
    Unless you live in Europe. I just bought a train ticket from Berlin to Brussels. About 800km, and only cost 80 euro. And that includes a bed, because I'm taking an overnight train. Pretty good, I think!
  • That doesn't sound too bad, but what's the travel time on a trip like that?
  • Fail: My trip to friends in NYC this weekend cost $41.20 in tolls and $49.28 in gasoline, so $90.48 round trip. Twice what the bus costs.

Boo Yah: It's still easily half the price of an Amtrak ticket and with a travel time of 4 hours, 15 minutes considerably faster than the bus or the train. It was also made doubly awesome by splitting the fare with a friend thus halving the cost.

Sorry public transit, you just kinda suck.
    Yeah, the tolls between DC and NY are kind of ridiculous. Ugh. I don't even look at my EZPass statement anymore.
  • Yeah, the tolls between DC and NY are kind of ridiculous. Ugh. I don't even look at my EZPass statement anymore.
    The bridge leaving NY was $11. And I really wasn't impressed with the quality of the bridge I got for that much money. The bridge in Maryland was nicer.
  • In the midwest, tolls are rare, and gas is cheap. Driving 500 miles is faster and cheaper than mass transit. If more than one person is in the car, it's ludicrously cheaper.
  • That doesn't sound too bad, but what's the travel time on a trip like that?
    About 8 hours, but that includes a connection in Köln. However, it doesn't matter, because I'll be asleep.
  • Booh-Yah: I got both Left4Dead games in a pack for $10 on Steam
    Fail: I won't be able to play Left4Dead until Halloween
    Booh-Yah: I can play Left4Dead 2 until then.
  • Super mega Boo-yah: Fallout: New Vegas lands in two weeks! Holy shit!

Fail: Can't afford it. Already purchased Civ 5, and need to spend money on bills and girlfriend's birthday instead. Budget is stretched thin.

Boo-yah anyway: Bonnie's birthday is going to be the shit. I brewed up a keg of a big, full-bodied fall amber, and I am going to mod my oven to bake wicked awesome pizza, and there will be board games like a mofo.

Fail mitigation: Fallout isn't multiplayer anyone, so it will still be just as awesome once I get it in a month or two.
  • Booh-Yah: I got both Left4Dead games in a pack for $10 on Steam
    Fail: I won't be able to play Left4Dead until Halloween
    Booh-Yah: I can play Left4Dead 2 until then.
    Fail: Steam is overloaded and it's impossible to connect to the servers right now.
  • Boo-Yah: A good friend of mine is starting up one of his infamous Legend of the Five Rings campaigns, with a crew whom have proven to be awesome to roleplay with. This will be the first time I've roleplayed with a competent group in a long while

Fail: They live 2 hours away in Rhode Island. This is going to suck for gas
    As a former Rhode Islander, I can attest that it does, in deed, suck gas.
  • Boo-Yah: Pre-Ordered Dragon Age 2.
    Boo-Yah: Kate is even more excited about it than I am.
    Fail: So excited that she took the day off of work, and DA2 will probably eat my wife for a month at least.
    Fail: Meaning I can't play either. :\
  • Fail: So excited that she took the day off of work, and DA2 will probably eat my wife for a month at least.
    WOW! Really wasn't expecting that...
    Fail: So excited that she took the day off of work, and DA2 will probably eat my wife for a month at least.
    Should we have a release party?
    Should we have a release party?
    I think we should. The game will (probably) be bringing me joy in one form or another.
  • Seeing as I'll need to enrich the minds of children, and wouldn't be able to play anyhow since I'm letting Kate have first dibs, a party would be a somewhat hollow affair for me at that time.
  • I'll need to enrich the minds of children
    Totally overrated.
  • Win: I got a great review at work. My boss says that my work is stellar, that I am intelligent, capable, and courteous.
    Fail: Because my co-worker (who has the same job as I do) is a loose cannon and is frequently rude during the course of her work, he wants me to take over all "receptionist" type of duties (because she can't be trusted to talk to anyone, ever) and give most of my substantive to my co-worker.

To sum up: She got a crap review. I got a great review. She gets more substantive work, while I am essentially demoted.
    FML. FMLITA.
  • FMLITA.
    Why was my brain able to IMMEDIATELY translate that?
    FML
  • To sum up: She got a crap review. I got a great review. She gets more substantive work, while I am essentially demoted.
    FML. FMLITA.
    Truely good receptionists are highly underrated. :(
  • Win: I got a great review at work. My boss says that my work is stellar, that I am intelligent, capable, and courteous.
    Fail: Because my co-worker (who has the same job as I do) is a loose cannon and is frequently rude during the course of her work, he wants me to take over all "receptionist" type of duties (because she can't be trusted to talk to anyone, ever) and give most of my substantive to my co-worker.

To sum up: She got a crap review. I got a great review. She gets more substantive work, while I am essentially demoted.
    FML. FMLITA.
    This is what my coworkers and I refer to as "positive punishment". If you do a good job at work, they'll just give you more work to do!
  • edited October 2010
    If you do a good job at work, they'll just give you more work to do!
    The highest nail gets hit the hardest.
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • If you do a good job at work, they'll just give you more work to do!
    The highest nail get hit the hardest.
    Deru kugi wa utareru?
  • Deru kugi wa utareru?
    Same idea. We used it at Norwich to discourage overachievers.
  • edited October 2010
    Fail: Some punk kid was bullying my little brother pretty seriously, and decided to cement his bullying by punching him.
    Boo-yah: My little brother was all, "Omae wa mo shindeiru," and ended that fight. I am imagining him doing this with the Hundred Crack Fist of the North Star.
    Fail: For defending himself, he is now suspended for a day. Yay public school ZT policies!
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Boo-yah: the cruise ship I'm joining is delayed so from tomorrow I have a a day and a night in Barcelona to do whatever I want.

Fail: I have to get up at 5am in the morning to catch my flight.
  • Fail: For defending himself, he is now suspended for a day
    This alone is perhaps the greatest social problem in American schools today. Policy and order are more important than justice, and victims are punished for finally snapping and standing up for themselves.
  • Yeah, some school's no tolerance policies are ridiculous. I've heard tale of one kid getting attacked, not fighting back, and still getting suspended for being the target of an attack. And most school's don't even take into account the emotional damage that is done on either side when considering punishment, or who did more damage. It's who started it and did the other person retaliate, although apparently the latter isn't always important.
  • This alone is perhaps the greatest social problem in American schools today. Policy and order are more important than justice, and victims are punished for finally snapping and standing up for themselves.
    I think the problem is that there's no actual investigation as to who started what and thus school officials just punishing people arbitrarily