This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of your Boo-Yah (and vica-versa)

Comments

• Barnes & Noble has been seriously beefing up there board game stock. Although priced over MSRP, my two local stores have a selection that puts most actual game stores in my area to shame.
    They should shift to a business model involving being a book/game lounge. Eurogames would be a minority, but they could probably do well to have chess, checkers, backgammon, and the like, plus the local books and maybe ebook checkouts. Make their money with food and for-pay reserved tables (separate from the open ones). Market it as an intellectual lounge, halfway between a coffee shop/bistro and a commercial library.

Amazon now sells more ebooks than dead tree books. Barnes & Noble had best do something with its big box stores before it's too late.
  • Barnes & Noble has been seriously beefing up there board game stock. Although priced over MSRP, my two local stores have a selection that puts most actual game stores in my area to shame.
    They should shift to a business model involving being a book/game lounge. Eurogames would be a minority, but they could probably do well to have chess, checkers, backgammon, and the like, plus the local books and maybe ebook checkouts. Make their money with food and for-pay reserved tables (separate from the open ones). Market it as an intellectual lounge, halfway between a coffee shop/bistro and a commercial library.

Amazon now sells more ebooks than dead tree books. Barnes & Noble had best do something with its big box stores before it's too late.
    Couldn't agree more. This branching out into games sales is definitely just them fumbling in the dark, trying to expand their purpose. The Nook division seems to be doing well enough, but I don't know or care enough about ebook readers at this point to know if my impression of them is valid.

Everyone treats their store as a big lounge already, so they might as well start trying to make more money off of this. I've actually seen some B&Ns; hold Catan nights, so there is somebody out there thinking along the same lines as you. This sort of event was run by a store employee and allowed newbies to come check out the game, after which I'm sure they tried to sell everyone a copy. Sounds like a good idea to me, but maybe it didn't work out since the idea doesn't seem to be spreading.
  • Sounds like a good idea to me, but maybe it didn't work out since the idea doesn't seem to be spreading.
    I predict their stores mostly being shut down within five years, with a handful of flagship stores remaining open in major cities as little more than branding/advertising space.
  • Booyah: I enjoyed the first three episodes of Transformers Animated
    Fail: I realized that around the end of the third episode i was explaining heredity to the Autobots in my head

SUCH A FUCKING NERD!
  • Sounds like a good idea to me, but maybe it didn't work out since the idea doesn't seem to be spreading.
    I predict their stores mostly being shut down within five years, with a handful of flagship stores remaining open in major cities as little more than branding/advertising space.
    If I could muster the money to buy the local B&N; and reopen it as a general geekery lounge/library, I'd do it. We need more of that.
  • Fail: Allergies to Pollen suddenly (due to the insane high levels). Never had it before.
    Booyah: Allergy nondrowsy medicines seems to clear it up.
    Fail: still makes me drowsy...
  • Haven't eaten in 12 hours and absolutely don't want to.
    Come to the decision that I'm going to get the hell out of here. Going to get a snack and then email my relatives in Maryland.

Having some hope to focus on is what I've needed for a long time.
  • Going to get a snack and then email my relatives in Maryland.
    Your going to Maryland?
  • edited June 2011
    Might do to begin with, having family there, but it's more just to ask about things.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • "Might do" is a funny thing that British people say.
  • edited June 2011
    Fail: Allergies to Pollen suddenly (due to the insane high levels). Never had it before.
    I've actually been a little sneezy in the park lately. I have never had nature/grass/tree allergies before, just mold/mites.
    Come to the decision that I'm going to get the hell out of here.
    Also, Fuck Yeah.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Boo-Yah: BLS released it's employment numbers this week.
    Fail: Unemployment's up to 9.1%.
    Boo-Yah: The number of employed people went up.
    Double Boo-Yah: Discouraged workers are down from last month. This means there is a finally a perception of a better job market.
  • My household just experience somewhat of a rainstorm which resulted in a power outage for about an hour and a half. However, at least I was able to finish Part II of Foundation during that time.
  • Boo-Yah!: I have a new summer hat! Also, significantly shorter hair! And I've decided to be fit and awesome this summer, so I started by playing tennis for fun.

Fail...: Twisted my ankle 5 minutes before we were set to leave the court. Then I was wheeled to a lame parade in my grandfather's wheelchair, still in my tennis clothes.

More Boo-Yah!: So many ideas for the DnD comic strip!
  • Fail: One of our cats has been vomiting up their food lately. As I was getting in the shower, I discovered more cat vomit!
    Boo-Yah: At least it was a lot easier to clean up instead of cleaning it from the carpet.
  • Boo-Yah: I recently moved to new apartment, with just newly renovated bathroom.
    Fail: For the next couple of months they are renovating other bathrooms in this building and the noises it causes are far from pleasant.
  • Fail: I've been having the urge to check out Cataclysm for WoW for about a month now.
    Boo-Yah: It's been a year since I've quite.
    Boo-Yah: After I think about it, I figure the idea is fleeting and don't do it.
    Fail: The urge still comes back.
    Fail: I think I may eventually give in and all will be over.
  • Fail: I've been having the urge to check out Cataclysm for WoW for about a month now.
    Boo-Yah: It's been a year since I've quite.
    Boo-Yah: After I think about it, I figure the idea is fleeting and don't do it.
    Fail: The urge still comes back.
    Fail: I think I may eventually give in and all will be over.
  • Thank you Trogdor.

Is the appeal of WoW for you more about the game or more about the community? If it's more about the game, maybe you can find something self-contained like an action-RPG off of Good Old Games?
  • Is the appeal of WoW for you more about the game or more about the community? If it's more about the game, maybe you can find something self-contained like an action-RPG off of Good Old Games?
    I just want to see the new content really. I still have old friends that play and my boyfriend still plays.

So far, I've gotten my WoW fix through him, with him telling me about the changes and stuff, but I miss playing my Shaman from time to time. I would play very casually and wouldn't raid.

I'm ok for now. I got 2 new games on XBLA and one of this is Islands of Wakfu. I'm more interested into that because of watching Wakfu and reading about the Dofus world. The games alright so far.
  • Boo-yah: I got moved to half time for the rest of the month.
    Fail: I got moved to half time for the rest of the month.
  • edited June 2011
    Fail: Earlier this week I found that my ATM card PIN code had stopped working, my online banking wouldn't properly set up, I couldn't get paypal to confirm my bank account, overdue books and the fees they had created had caused a hold on my university account and caused my classes to drop, which in turn prevented me from making a very important doctor's appointment and getting back on my pill.

Boo-yah: Today I got my Paypal confirmed so I can get money from people for commissions, I got my online banking and PIN code fixed so I can track all the money, I got my hold cleared from the library, and have re-registered in MOST of my classes. There are a few other classes I have sent out emails for and I'm scheduled to be added to one that I desperately need. The other class I'm hopefully adding is Unarmed Stage Combat.
    Also one of my best friends from High School that's been away in the army for the past few years is suddenly and unexpectedly visiting tomorrow.
    Post edited by Anrild on
  • Booyah: Just finished reading The Lies of Locke Lamora; I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Fail: I've got to read four (assigned) books this summer for AP English; Locke Lamora does not count towards this quota. :(
    Booyah: Life of Pi is on the list.
    Extra-Fail: I have to write an essay for each of the four books.
  • I just actually paid for Weird Al's newest album Alpocalypse. I haven't paid for an album since 2006 when I bought his last album.

I don't know if this is a fail or a booh-yah.
  • You've got Weird Al in a way that helps Weird Al. I'd say it's a boo-yah.
  • BooYah: Game Center CX Is finally getting a US release via Kotaku

Fail: It's region locked so it might as well not have happened for me, because I'm Scottish.
  • edited June 2011
    Booyah: Starting very basic improvisation in piano lessons. I really feel like much of what I've learned is starting to come together into useful ability, rather than just being able to play a moderately-difficult piece given a month to practice.
    Fail: What's that, Mom? I can't take summer lessons? Also, maybe no lessons during the next school year too? Why, that sounds like the best possible way to waste the 3½ years I've spent taking lessons!
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • Booyah: Starting very basic improvisation in piano lessons. I really feel like much of what I've learned is starting to come together into useful ability, rather than just being able to play a moderately-difficult piece given a month to practice.
    Fail: What's that, Mom? I can't take summer lessons? Also, maybe no lessons during the next school year too? Why, that sounds like the best possible way to waste the 3½ years I've spent taking lessons!
    From one piano player to another - once you've got even the most basic improv down, the next step is to take songs you know, enjoy and listen to a lot, and try and recreate them on piano. Start with basic melody (could be the vocals, or whatever is most prominent), with basic chords in the left hand. Learn how to add harmonies over time, block chords if you're feeling adventurous. Trust me, the small amount of time and effort you put into learning stuff on your own time will, ultimately, carry your abilities over the years much more than regular lessons will. Last year, after I had my last piano lesson of 13 years, I sort of spent an hour a week or so dicking around with random songs I enjoy. About a year later, I'm learning Cohen's Masterpiece from Bioshock by ear, on my own. A year ago, I would have *needed* my teacher to help me with that. Sounds like you're good enough at this point to start freeform dicking around. So, do that. You won't regret it.
  • Boo-yah: I got some non-photo blue pencils, time to comic! Sketched out four comics...

Fail: ... To figure out my pens won't wrote on the pencil-marked parts. In fact, my .04, that I use for details and lettering, is ruined and won't write correctly.

Fuck this, i'm-a play playstation.
  • Woke up today feeling all "A train is coming, a train is coming to take me far away.".
    Ghibli music makes it all better.