This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Making Things With String

Comments

• Yay, more money to invest. At least I still have that nostepinne I made a while ago.
  • Blocking the shawl I made for me mum for Christmas.

• Frogging was a long and arduous process because I hat 2 snags on the way. Once They were resolved I only lost ~2 feet of yarn, but I didn't drop any stitches and it's already feeling like a much better fit!
  • edited December 2011
    My little brother finished his first cross-stitch.

Post edited by Walker on
  • Very nice cross-stitching there.

Finally added fringe to my mother's shawl and added a shawl pin. She really loves it.

• Sky Scarf.

I may be a few days behind already, but what an interesting concept. You take several colors of blue, gray, and white and knit the corresponding color to what the color of the sky is for each day. At the end of the year you get a 5-foot long scarf.

I predict my scarf will mostly be gray and white with blue in the middle.
  • I finished a horseshoe cowl using the Firefly yarn Nuri made.

I think it's too long now and I want it to be tighter around the neck/face. I am thinking about frogging it and starting all over, but the yarn is very delicate. Thoughts?
  • Fold over the top and put in a drawstring. Solves the length and tightness problems all at once. It's hard to get a cowl that will go over your head and still be tight around your neck. Most of the tighter ones are either drawstring or wrap-around.
  • Jumped on the Capucine bandwagon! I finally got the perfect yarn for it. You can't see it, but there's purple-blue hues and sparkles.

• Oh shit, that's wonderful. I've done the whole fake bag thing along with asking people if they knitted whatever.
  • Sold my Capuccine to a Finn for 4000Y!
  • Also, that place near the end with the warehouse looked magical. And yarn is fucking expensive in Japan.
  • Also, that place near the end with the warehouse looked magical. And yarn is fucking expensive in Japan.
    Well, it's not like Japan has huge fields of grass for sheep or other animals to graze. It also doesn't exactly have huge cotton fields either.
  • Ruffas, have you ever been to a fiber festival like Estes, Maryland Sheep & Wool, or Rhinebeck?

There is a reason I only take cash and do not break out the credit cards at those things.
  • I've not Nuri. We're not exactly flush with the wool animals in the south either.

@Scott The cotton stuff was quite a reasonable price, but I'm done with the tiny knits for a while.
  • This is the single largest knitting project I have undertaken to date. Spun the yarn, designed the pattern, and knit the sweater all myself. BOO FUCKING YAH.

• Holy poop that's awesome. Great job. What is it made out of? I like the border along the hood and openings.
  • The yarn is 2/3 merino/tencel and 1/3 wool/seacell. The rose buttons are plastic. The border is a cable that is also the button band.

And yes, the pattern is almost ready for release. I need to scale it for sizing and get some people to knit the bigger sizes to make sure it all works.
  • I just realized that image may not be viewable for non-Rav people. So here.

• I'm gonna go ahead a pimp a thing my friend just finished.
  • Oh yeah... Ro and other spinny people, this is what I recommended to Ro at PAX East for keeping your fiber from catching in your spindle. Super cheap and easy peasy.
  • This requires me to have pantyhose, I will look into such things.

Also, I'm checking out the Fleegle heel method for socks. Pretty simple and nice, even though I do like a good sl 1, k1 heel to look all fancy.

I'm also planning on doing a Pinkie Pie themed hat. It will be glorious.
  • You can get one of the cheap little plastic ball pantyhose - it doesn't have to be anything fancy.

My favorite heel so far is eye of partridge, but it's a little annoying to keep track of.
  • Yes, eye of partridge is fun. I want to try contrasting color heel/toe sometime. That will be my next sock project.
  • Had to order new US 2 (2.75mm) fixed circulars because I broke my other pair being stupid.

Went to KnitPicks and ended up spending more than I needed to. (−_−;)

I didn't buy these, but the Heat Wave colorway in the Dishie yarn reminds me a lot of Apple Jack.
  • edited April 2012
    Oh noes, did you sit on them? I did that with a pair of my KP Harmony sock needles.

That $50 min for free shipping gets me every time at KP. >_<
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Well, they were in my bag and I accidentally leaned on them to where one of them broke. Ah well. They circular cord was getting loose on one end anyways. Probably for the best.

Yes, stupid free shipping enticing me. They have a lot of pretty colorways. I got a really cool colorway from the Chroma line. Supernova, iirc. Also got some sale yarn that they are discontinuing.

Eventually I plan on posting pics of the heel/toe-less leg warmers I made for Lyddi and the Mobius cowl I made for Andy.

As for my Pinkie Pie hat, I've been looking at different hat patterns and am planning on mixing things up for it. I want to have a swirl hat that is also cupcake shaped with ear flaps. It will mainly be the two different pink colors along with the sprinkles being the blue and yellow. I also plan on adding an embellishment of her cutie mark on the ear flaps along with the yellow and blue on the ear flap cords. For the sprinkles I was thinking of blue and yellow beads, but I'm not sure yet. I don't want to get the cheap plastic type beads, but I really don't know of any local places that sell decent beads and in the colors I want. I may just sew on or crochet small bobbles in those colors for the beads. I also plan on using a picot edge above the top of the brim to give it that cupcake look.
  • I need to link some pictures of the Fluttershy hat present I got a PAX. It's a hand-knitted mohawk thing. I'm not sure who all saw it, but it's pretty ridiculous.