This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Making Things With String

Comments

• Yeah, I saw your hat. It's cool, but it's not my style. I personally do not like any of the MLP: Hats with manes and eyes of the ponies. It's almost as if bronies are wearing their scalps.

I like the less obvious articles of clothing to where if you really observe it, you will notice what it's referencing. I want to get started on my Pinkie Pie hat today, but it's going to take a lot of work before it's done.
  • Here is my sketch mock-up of my Pinkie Pie hat. I've already done my gauge swatch. Now I have to convert the various patterns I'm using to fit to my size. I really think this will be fun to do. I just hope I don't have to keep frogging and restarting.

• Write down what you do! You can put out a pattern!
  • I love that design o_o
  • That is the plan. I've seen other Pinkie Pie hats out there that are of the non-Pony scalping persuasion and they are cool with the cutie mark.

I just wanted to add the cupcake and swirl motif because you Pinkie Pie is all about the cupcakes. I also don't plan on using beads, but that may change.

Now, I have to find light blue and yellow yarn. Which shouldn't be too hard. Also felt in that color for the cutie mark.
  • Using rayon chenille for the first time. Picked some up at a shop that opened up across from my mom's work while I was home. Little place run by a Polish lady who hand-dyes a lot of the stuff. I kinda like how it's all one piece and not fibrous. Making a scarf with a bunch of little cables in it (which is much easier since the internet told me how to do it without cable needles).
  • edited April 2012
    Here's a question about copyright that may have already been answered in the forums many eons ago, but once I'm done with this Pinkie Pie hat, I kind of want to be able to sell the pattern.

What can/can't I do? I want to title it "Pinkie Pie Swirl Cupcake Hat". I can say it's "Pinkie Pie Inspired", as well as not include the cutie mark. I was thinking if I can't include the cutie mark, I'll have that tutorial of making the balloon embellishments as a free pdf.

I've been looking on Google Images as well as Etsy and haven't found anything as similar to my idea. I also really don't like any of the ones with manes. It just seems so odd to me.

Edit: I take my statement back, this one with the mane into scarf is pretty awesome. You can see the Rainbow Dash one as well.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • If you want to be strictly legal, don't use "Pinkie Pie" at all in the name. It's a registered trademark of Hasbro in the area of toy ponies and accessories for use therewith; your hat could be confused with an officially-licensed Hasbro product in this area. You can say in the pattern description that it's inspired by Pinkie Pie, which will get it picked up in searches without implying that it's Hasbro-sourced. Make sure the exact cutie mark image is not a necessary part of the pattern, but it might be okay to have it in the pictures of the example.

Cupcake Swirl Hat would be fine for the name; if you're using felt cutout applique for the cutie mark, call it optional. You can pretty much deal with the instructions for that the same way as the felt bird applique in Capucine.
  • edited April 2012
    Sweet. Thanks. I am planning to knit or crochet the applique. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out the pattern for it. If it doesn't work out, then I'll use felt.

The pink yarn was the pricey Aussie Wool stuff, but the blue and yellow yarn I found was a nice sport weight Baby Soft from I want to say Lion Brand. It's perfect really because the pink yarn is worsted while the blue and yellow are sport. I'm going to be using the darker pink with the blue and yellow as three yarn i-cord. It won't be too thick to knit. I did a test of other yarns to see how it would look and multiple color yarn i-cords look very cool.

I really need to get a scale to be able to figure out the yardage after everything is all said and done.

So the people on Etsy selling the hats that don't say "inspired by" are doing a no-no?

Also for the cutie mark, I can just say it's a balloon pattern applique.
  • Technically, yes, those people are violating IP law. However, it's a civil offense, so it only matters if Hasbro actually goes after them for it.

My Pinkie Pie inspired cupcake swirl hat is coming along quite nicely. First time that I am working an intarsia project with so many separate bobbins of thread. I was able to figure out a way to keep the bobbins attached to the hat so they don't get tangled along with their respective working yarns not getting tangled and easy to unravel more from the bobbin and still stay on.

I am really enjoying the creation of a pattern based on a silly notion I had even though I am using several techniques and patterns from other designs.
  • Finally getting around to uploading some projects I finished a few months ago on my Ravelry page.

I made spiral legwarmers for Lyddi.

I also made a multi colored mobius cowl for Andrew in the colors of GT.

• This awesome person has been using my Home Sweet Home Yoshi pattern for her current cross-stitch project and added Mario to it!

It puts a smile on my face to know that someone is using something I created. ^_^

http://yafashelli.deviantart.com/#/d52b0az
  • If you want to be strictly legal, don't use "Pinkie Pie" at all in the name. It's a registered trademark of Hasbro in the area of toy ponies and accessories for use therewith; your hat could be confused with an officially-licensed Hasbro product in this area.
    Here's something bizzare - they also own(or tried to) the trademarks for Dapper dan, the phrase "Let's rock", and Hacker Camp.
  • edited July 2012
    This is the hat that would be fun to make and figure out the pattern that Gwen Stacy/Emma Stone was wearing in The Amazing Spiderman.

There are currently no decent torrents of that scene to where I can see more detail, but this is the best image I've found.

It's a 6 cable, lace zig-zag with bobble slouch hat. I don't think there were any increases after the 1x1 k,p ribbing. Also from what I remember in the movie, I don't think the hat had any decreases because the back looked like it was cinched up at the ends.

That is seriously a cool hat.
  • edited July 2012
    Also the pattern (a reverse-engineered one) is available for free on Rav. :)
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Dammit! Well nevermind then!
  • Well her pattern does decreases. From what i recall, the hat looks like it's cinched. I'll play around with it.

Also, I went to the swap meet today and found someone selling yarn. I don't know what the material is, but it's fairly soft and I really liked the colorways. I got this lot for less than $10. The guy who sold it to me said his wife bought them at like $10/each, but I really don't think so.

They seem pretty durable, so I may make some shawls out of them or something.

Yeah, I really am running out of space for extra yarn. >_>
  • WOW, look at those colors! They look hand-dyed to me. You could always do a burn test to see what kind of fiber they are... it'll at least get you in the ballpark. Plant fibers smell like burning paper or grass, hair and wool and silk fibers smell like burning hair, and synthetics smell like burning plastic or oil.

Those are obviously Fraggle eggs.
  • They had a whole big bag of pretty yarn, Nuri. I was tempted to buy all of it, but it wouldn't be the smart thing. These skeins have to be at least 300 - 400 yards. I haven't done the burn test yet, but the three on the right are spun like the Lion Brand Homespun yarn. The one on the far left is hand spun and is my favorite out of all 4.
  • Threadless is having a contest for designing a sweater, hat, or scarf.

http://www.threadless.com/loves/knits

I'm interested in doing this, but I have no idea what to submit. Ideas?
  • If it's a scarf you gotta make a joke where one thing is happening on one end and the punchline is on the other end.
  • Well the contest limits me to only using 2-3 colors and nothing too complicated.

I thought about submitting my Pinkie Pie Cupcake Swirl Hat, but that's too complicated.

That's a good idea for a scarf, but what to do?
  • I would stay away from licensed properties, and try to do something that is the same style as Threadless shirts since it is a Threadless contest.
  • edited July 2012
    I was thinking something to do with ponies, but don't want to have issues with copyright.

Cutesy animals always do well, or dinosaurs. I'll have to do some brainstorming since the contest ends at the end of the month.

Edit: I thought of a good one with portals from Portal, but damn you copyright!
  • I am pretty sure the idea is to get you to come up with your own ideas. :P
  • Yeah, and I keep coming up with ideas based on things I love.

Like, I just thought of a really cool scarf based of Avatar: The Last Airbender.