This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Making Things With String

Comments

• You can base it on those things. You just can't use trademarked images or rely too heavily on them! "Inspired by" is a perfectly valid description.
  • This is the Avatar scarf I imagined. Don't know if it will ever become true, but it's cool.

• I feel like a better idea would be something that takes patterns from each nation and transitions through them along the length of the scarf.
  • Ooh. That's a good idea. I just may try that.
  • Or conversely, you could lost the logos in the corners. The double-headed arrow says avatar enough with maybe a really light brown background instead of white.
  • Try something more generically nerdy instead of a specific property. Try something with dice or other board gaming bits.
  • Yeah, I'm trying to think of something, but specific property keeps coming in mind.

Like what if there was a Super Mario Kart road what was designed to look like this:

The edge are the squares and the rest of the scarf is the gray track. That would be boss.
  • Still off of a property, but I think it may have a shot: Snake game.

I have it trying to say Om Nom Nom, but I may just have it go all over the scarf.
  • I like the snake scarf a lot more than the Avatar one from above. Another idea could be a progress down a magic tree. Start with Fire 1 and work down to Metor (for example).
  • edited July 2012
    You should make an Avatar one that's the steps of "the dancing dragons".
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • You should make one that makes me invisible when I wear it.
  • The Nupp stitch is stupid and I hate it.
  • I can see why you made the changes you did to the Capucine pattern Ro. I accidently knit past your edit and decided to keep with it to see how it came out. Super huge is how it came out. Now I've got some frogging to do.
  • Making arm warmers for myself. Using the Little Shell Pattern from The Harmony Guides: Lace & Eyelets. I'm making these from scratch based on my measurements and gauge. Let's hope I can do it in one shot and not have to frog the thing.

You really can't see the pattern right now with the dark blue, so I have an image of what the pattern looks like from the book.

• Went to a 3 hour introduction to machine sewing class that I got for $20 on Living Social. I wanted to get more basics down, like zig zag stitching on edges, or hemming, but we really didn't go over that. I may just take more classes as discount.

I did however make this awesome reversible tote bag.

• Does anyone have the skill of making decorative couch pillows? I'm guess it's easy enough that I could do it myself. Sew two squares of material together and fill with stuffing, right? I need some that match my couch, are tasteful, yet subtly nerdy.
  • Heh. That's one of the classes they offer at the place I went. I am really thinking of just shelling out the $55 for 9 hours worth of classes. Too bad I can't shell out $600 for the really high quality sewing machines.
  • edited October 2012
    Dood Ro, there are tons of tutorials for sewing online. I wish we lived closer though so I could give you lessons :( Do you have a machine to practice on? You don't need a nice one, you can do a lot with a $100 machine.

Scott, pillows are super easy. Actually, making cases and getting the pre-stuffed plain pillows from Ikea to go inside is the best way. You can even use iron-on fusible tape to avoid sewing, since its such an easy shape.
    Post edited by Lyddi on
  • Well I do have a sewing machine and I did teach myself a few things, but hearing from professionals is always nice too. The machine I was using can thread itself in the hole. That's freaking awesome.

I actually plan on finally making that red DS XL sized zipper case pretty soon.
  • edited October 2012
    If you have an art school in the area with sewing machines, most of you can probably wander in (via door-leech) and use their machines.

Also, I've been wanting to make a infinity-scarf-hood-cowl-nose-cover kind of thing, and every time I get started, I've had to ctrl-z all the way. I was planning to keep it fairly simple, some ribbing on the edges to keep it on my head &/ over my nose, with a nubbly texture in worsted merino-cashmere chain. I'm mainly uncertain about if/how/where I should change #-stiches for shaping. Does anyone have a good pattern I could use, even as a base? Or just advices.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • Dood Ro, there are tons of tutorials for sewing online. I wish we lived closer though so I could give you lessons :( Do you have a machine to practice on? You don't need a nice one, you can do a lot with a $100 machine.

Scott, pillows are super easy. Actually, making cases and getting the pre-stuffed plain pillows from Ikea to go inside is the best way. You can even use iron-on fusible tape to avoid sewing, since its such an easy shape.
    Oh yeah! I forgot all about those IKEA generic pillows. So cheap! I will research this fusible tape, that is new to me. Perhaps there is a YouTube demonstration?
  • edited October 2012
    If you have an art school in the area with sewing machines, most of you can probably wander in (via door-leech) and use their machines.

Also, I've been wanting to make a infinity-scarf-hood-cowl-nose-cover kind of thing, and every time I get started, I've had to ctrl-z all the way. I was planning to keep it fairly simple, some ribbing on the edges to keep it on my head &/ over my nose, with a nubbly texture in worsted merino-cashmere chain. I'm mainly uncertain about if/how/where I should change #-stiches for shaping. Does anyone have a good pattern I could use, even as a base? Or just advices.
    If you mean that mobius cowl that I made for Andrew last year, here is the pattern. If you don't want bulky, Ravelry has the normal sized patterns too.

As for instructions, I pretty much followed Cat Bordhi. Her tutorial for cast on is most excellent.

Edit: Chie, if you can't do the mobius knitting, you can always just make the pattern you want in rectangular type format then do a twist when it's finished and combine the sides with a 3 knit bind off. Or sew it together.

Scott, what sort of subtle nerdy stuff are you looking for? It's not subtle, but the Mega Man E Tank pattern sounds cool.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited October 2012
    Thanks Ro. I believe I've done mobius knitting before.. that video will help getting the hang of it.

Q: Do you prefer videos or static illustrations? &Why

Scott, the tape is super easy (I use it to "hem" my pants). Usually the package has instructions, but generally, it helps to pin the tape in place. It's basically really thin dehydrated hot glue. You want to use a steam iron on "cotton" setting (or spritz the fabric area with a spray bottle of water), and then press the iron over the area for 45 seconds-ish. Doing both sides and using steam will ensure a good press.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • I prefer videos over illustrations because it shows all the exact techniques. It's just easier for me to follow a video then pictures.

Best of luck doing it. Mobius knitting is very fun and super easy once you get the cast on down.
  • Made this today. Thinking of the kitties. :)

• Sooo. My new Secret Santee present is making me realize that my present is best made with the use of needle felting. I wish I took classes at my LYS before they closed down.

I did find a few good videos via LivingFelt's channel.

I also recently purchased their felting needles variety pack for $4. Seems inexpensive to start practicing. I do have lots of practice roving wool (not using Nuri's), so hopefully from the video tutorials I'll be able to make the item I need. It's going to be difficult since the shape is not common and very unique.

After watching a few of the videos on needle felting, I may just get more into it. It seems you can make tons of cool things with it.
  • My favorite thing to do with needle felting is put embellishments onto clothing or accessories. It's a good idea to make sure the dye is actually set in your wool if you are going to do that, though... I put a gold flower over a hole in a sweater and it turns out the gold wool bleeds A LOT!
  • Finally finished Jeremy's Ninja Turtle hat with removable headband so once I make the other 3 colors, he can wear them too. Only took a year to make for him, because I chose to make other things than his hat.

• edited January 2013
    I'm getting back into knitting and trying to do this pattern Panda hat! I've done the 6 garter stitch rows and I'm about to do the increase row but it then says starting on a "p row" to start up with stockinette stitch. Does this mean I purl a row then do the stockinette stitch right after my increase row?

Edit because I read the pattern wrong, and that was part of my confusion.
    Post edited by Dr. Zibbelcoot PhD on
  • If you've not got it sorted out already: after the increase row, do stockinette starting with a purl row, then knit, etc.