This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Portal 2 - Mark spoilers appropriately!

edited March 2010 in Everything Else
After four days of cockteasing, Portal 2 has been officially confirmed by Valve:
Steam News update
And covered by Game Informer:
Game Informer

I have never been quite so excited.

Comments

• What's with the randomly underlined letters? Another valve thing?
  • edited March 2010
    "dratmanh0nee", whatever that means. I would endeavor to work out it's meaning but I can just wait a few hours and Kotaku will have the answer.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Well, the 'Ratman' was the guy who created the dens in the scenes after you break out of the facility. This is some reference to him, presumably he'll play a bigger part in Portal 2. (They spell drattmannh0nee)
  • The magazine cover is really cool.
  • I hope that the game remains relatively brief. Four hours was the perfect length for the first Portal. It was like reading a really good short story, enough to consume in one sitting and a lot to digest afterward. Hoping for a little more this time though, something in the 8 to 15 hour range, but any more would be too much.
  • It's been revealed that there will be a multiplayer co-op mode, which will apparently have its own story and characters.
  • It's been revealed that there will be a multiplayer co-op mode, which will apparently have its own story and characters.
    If there is a game company that can add a story that has substance to the usually substance-less multiplayer mode, it's Valve.
    That is over 9000 wins.
    Unless the story forces one of the players to murder the other one at the very end, I'll be deeply disappointed. Or maybe, it should force one player (alone) to choose between saving their friend and saving the companion cube.
  • edited March 2010
    Unless the story forces one of the players to murder the other one at the very end, I'll be deeply disappointed. Or maybe, it should force one player (alone) to choose between saving their friend and saving the companion cube.
    Well, I think it opens all sorts of new an interesting puzzles. You have to jump through a portal. Then while you are falling you have to put a portal on the other guys' feet so he can get high enough to put a portal in the right place for you, and so on. That will be a truly amazing game experience. It will be a lot like Trine, only better.

You can also solve normal puzzles more efficiently. One person stands in one spot while the other person sends them a bunch of cubes they are gathering from around the map.

And of course, the versus possibilities are very great. put the exit portal in front of a turret, then put the entrance under the other person's feet.
    Post edited by Apreche on
    The Co-op is a lie.
  • Unless the story forces one of the players to murder the other one at the very end, I'll be deeply disappointed. Or maybe, it should force one player (alone) to choose between saving their friend and saving the companion cube.
    It's very simple. Make it a competitive-cooperative multiplayer experience. Do you team up to defeat the big bad evil, or backstab your friend and take all the glory for yourself?
  • Why are we only satisfied if we dick over our friend?
    We're all misanthropes deep down inside.
    We're all misanthropes deep down inside.
    I dunno, me and my brother love co-op games, and usually don't screw each other. I mean, there WAS a point in Lego Star Wars where we just killed each other, but we beat the game/level first. We enjoyed working together...
  • I hope there will be a psychotic computer that 'assist' you in the sequel.
  • edited March 2010
    Some more details.
    Portal 2's existence was only just recently confirmed a few days ago, but details out of Game Informer's cover story continue to make their way online. Now the entire cover story itself has evidently been scanned, and VG247 pulled a few of the major details.

Portal 2 will, reportedly, take place hundreds of years after the first Portal (pictured), resulting in the Aperture Science labs looking like "a jungle." Despite this significant time shift, Portal 2 will still somehow once again star Chell, the first game's protagonist, as the playable character in the single-player game. GlaDOS returns as well, with the (Portal 1 spoiler warning) personality cores you seemingly destroyed at the end of the first game having taken over different areas of the lab.

Meanwhile, as previously revealed, the co-op campaign will be a stand-alone story...that apparently stars two bi-pedal robots. Gameplay-wise, physics will play a bigger role in the puzzles, with one example being using a portal to suck air from a vent in one area into another. There will also be "reflection cubes" that'll be used for laser-redirection puzzles. Game Informer's cover story also confirms that Portal 2 will indeed be a full-fledged game, with Valve comparatively calling Portal 1 a "test bed."

And while we also already knew Portal 2 is scheduled for release this fall for the Xbox 360 and PC, the story also says the game will be released on Mac.
    I don't think I'm alone when I say that this sounds friggin' awesome.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Portal 2 will, reportedly, take place hundreds of years after the first Portal
    Half Life 2 crossovers, anyone?
  • When was the first Portal supposed to have taken place?
    Some time after the founding of Black Mesa, I expect, in which case Portal 2 is likely to take place hundreds of years after every human character in Half Life 2 is dead.
    Except for Gordon, G-man, Adrian Shepard, and possibly Alex, thanks to their refusal to play nice with the big ball of timey-wimey stuff.
  • Meanwhile, as previously revealed, the co-op campaign will be a stand-alone story...that apparently stars two bi-pedal robots.
    Reminder: Android Hell is a real place, where you will be sent at the first sign of defiance...
  • Portal 2 comes out in one week. April 19th. Aren't you glad you didn't wait many hours in line at PAX to play it for five minutes when you are going to be able to play it to your heart's content 7 days from now?
  • Portal 2 comes out in one week. April 19th. Aren't you glad you didn't wait many hours in line at PAX to play it for five minutes when you are going to be able to play it to your heart's content 7 days from now?
    Were you even able to play it at PAX. I recall people telling me you waited in line just to watch videos of it and then get a fucking t-shirt. I asked them, "Why would you even waste all that time for a game you already know you're going to buy?"

"A free t-shirt!"

Ugh.
  • Were you even able to play it at PAX. I recall people telling me you waited in line just to watch videos of it and then get a fucking t-shirt. I asked them, "Why would you even waste all that time for a game you already know you're going to buy?"

"A free t-shirt!"

Ugh.
    That's even worse.
  • I bet those people are used to small cons, where that is the best thing that's at the convention. By those standards, standing in line is worth it. I know I stood 3 hours in line for a 10 minute taste of Zelda, after walking around the room thrice and having seen/done everything else.
  • Were you even able to play it at PAX. I recall people telling me you waited in line just to watch videos of it and then get a fucking t-shirt. I asked them, "Why would you even waste all that time for a game you already know you're going to buy?"

"A free t-shirt!"

Ugh.
    That's even worse.
    Yeah there was no playable demo at PAX Prime. I don't know about PAX East, but even so it still wouldn't be worth it. I did talk to the people working the booth and got my name on a list for a review copy, though. Got a confirmation email and everything but nothing ever said when it would arrive. I wake up every day in hopeful anticipation that it will show up early.
  • I bet those people are used to small cons, where that is the best thing that's at the convention. By those standards, standing in line is worth it. I know I stood 3 hours in line for a 10 minute taste of Zelda, after walking around the room thrice and having seen/done everything else.
    Even if those people were used to a small convention, they could obviously see that PAX was not a small convention and there was a TON of other things to do.

I didn't even step in the Expo Hall at East. Other than the 3DS being at East, it seems that if you saw the Expo Hall at the previous Prime, it will more than likely be the same thing you see at East.
  • they could obviously see that PAX was not a small convention and there was a TON of other things to do.
    Not if you don't want to play console games, play PC games, play board games, play handheld games, play role playing games, see panels, see concerts, see events, meet new people, network, or present. Then there's nothing to do but wait in line in the Expo Hall (or sing karaoke, or hang out in the jam room, or hit room parties...)